Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lake Mead Report
Haven't seen a Mead Report in a while. Is anyone fishing Mead now. How about Mojave?

Launched about 5:00 AM at Callville. NPS has done some work on the ramp, but entire left side is unusable except for PWC's. Saw the dredge out today so maybe more work is slated. Air temp about 75°. light NE wind or calm. Went over to some steeper rock walls and fished tube plastics in 10 to 30 ft. Surface Water temp in Callville about 75°. Maybe 1 degree cooler in main lake. Clarity in Callville to about 12 ft. Clarity to 20 ft near Beacon Rock. About 9:00 the wind shifted to SE up to maybe 7 mph.

Not much shad action or striper action but a steady bite from 7:30 to 9:00 AM, then just shut down for me. Biggest bass maybe 2.5 lbs. Missed 4 or 5 bites before I stupidly realized I needed a large size hook in the plastic. Once I went to a 3/0 EWG fish started getting in the boat. Pattern was to throw past and fish into the shady spots in large blocky rocks - not on the smaller rock and not on the flats.

One of the bigger fish I caught looked really stressed. Maybe from a tournament release ?? I don't think he realized he was hooked till he saw the boat. Then the drag got used. Had big head and lean body for his size. If he had been healthy maybe 3 1/2 to 4 lbs.

Motored over to Indian Cove about 9:30 and ran the cove, a couple points and some newly exposed humps. Bass weren't biting for me, but I did graph what were probably some schools of larger stripers on the south channel edge there. They were holding anywhere from 15 ft to 120 ft with majority about 75 to 100 ft. Smaller striper schools were graphed suspended off some of the long points in Indian Cove at about 15 ft in 45 ft of water.

Does anyone fish for stripers when they are deep with a dipsey diver or do you just use downriggers? They were too dispersed to spoon for I think. I bet you could troll there in low light, with a large swimbait, and maybe do OK. In any case, loaded the Skeeter on the trailer at 11:45 AM just before the traffic jam at the ramp. Temp 102° and little breeze.

One party tied up at the dock, waiting for others, caused problems for everyone launching and taking out because the usable area is so small. Not everyone knows it is rude to tie up to wait when you can be free in the launch area. Another party jumped the launch queue and that didn't help.
[signature]