Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Camping Question
I know this is not fishing related but I will get more posts if I post it here.

I am looking for a nice shady area to camp that has some decent fishing near by. It needs to have places for RVs and the altitude can't be very high.

We normally go to Payson Lakes but it is to high for my father-in-law.We need to find something like that but lower. Any help would be appreciated.
[signature]
There are several nice state run camp sites along the southfork river, between pineview and causey. You could fish the river or either reservior is a short drive.
[signature]
Box elder campground is pretty shady, and it's not far from Mantua.
[signature]
Mateo, do you have any idea what the altitude is up there?
[signature]
Go to PaliSade State Park down by Manti. Lots of campsites, elevation is the same as Manti, and you can fish PaliSade Res. right next to the camp ground. There are other areas to fish close by also. If you are inclined, I think the Manti pageant is going on.
[signature]
yeah paliSade would be nice but as you have said the pageant is running right now so your not going to find a came site there tell it's over.. all the camp grounds here in sanpete are full or reserved for days to come.. if i was looking for a nice place to camp at a low elevation i would look at utah lake state park in provo..

dude on fish?
[signature]
Good point Fuzzy. He doesn't specifiy when he is going though, he may just have a chance. If you are going over the 4th of July weekend I would imagine it is going to be hard to get a "reserved" camp spot anywhere.
[signature]
[angelic] You got that right. My wife is from down in Sanpet and you can't find a place to camp except your own back yard right now. Heck, you can't find a place on the local high school football field. That place is really nice but just not this time of year.

I think logan canion is sweet. There are some camping areas open that are toward the base of the canion that would keep you lower. The logan river is a very fun little fishing river. And if you have kids that dont fly fish there are 3 dams all the way that creat little lakes that a farly easy to catch some planter fish in.
[signature]
[cool]Well, there is always Burreston ponds down by Mona. The clear looking pond has stocker Rainbow Trout in it, and there's some muddy type ponds that probably have catfish in it. It's out in the desert, but there's lots of poplar or cottonwood trees around it to camp by.
[signature]
Topozone lists the altitude of Mantua as 5175, and the campground is a little bit lower than that.

I camped there once,and it was definitely shady, but I prefer the high altitudes to get away from the heat. Box Elder shouldn't be much worse altitude wise, than Willard Bay, but hopefully the bugs aren't as bad. There's also the private campground next to mantua, but I've never been there.

You could also try hyrum, although I don't recall seeing a lot of trees.
[signature]
I am not sure of the altitude but Smith and Morehouse camp sites are really nice.
[signature]
All of the sites on the way up to Causey are less than 5500 feet. The last campground before the dam is really nice. It has a large area, big enough for a softball game. If you take the kids, take the bikes. Fish the creek, the bottom of the dam, or go up to the Lake which is about 5700 ft. If memory serves, you can also camp below Lost Creek. The elevation there goes up to 6000 ft.
[signature]
How about minersville? There is some shade, and the camp sites have full hookups. They just increased the limit, and allow bait now. Hope you find some place.
[signature]
Thanks everyone for your help. We are looking into PaliSades. We want to go later in the summer. We also like to take the rafts so it sounds almost perfect.

Mateo, thanks for looking that up on topozone for me.
[signature]
you can make a reservation here:

[url "http://www.reserveamerica.com/jsp/commonpage.jsp?goto=/usa/ut/pssp/newindex.html"]http://www.reserveamerica.com/jsp/commonpage.jsp?goto=/usa/ut/pssp/newindex.html[/url]

sm
[signature]