Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I bought a smoker ... suggestions welcome
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Yea, I ran acrosst a nearly new MECO electric water smoker today at a yard sale. I picked it up for 15 bucks. [/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]I plan to check the Internet for information on how to use it but till then, do any of you have any opinions on water smokers? Do you have any favorite wood chip flavors to use? Any hard learned lessons that I can take advantage of? What are some of your favorite things to smoke in the smoker? Is it necessary to always use water?[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Thanks in advance ....[/size][/font]
[signature]
Congrats on the great find Old Coot. I like to use hickory chips when smoking fish. I also like smoking chops and steaks before they hit the bbq er in mesquite/cherry 2:1 mix. Wear glove when handling the rack unless you really like having orange stained hands. Also just like a bbqer do it away from your house and vents, etc... Have fun and experiment lots. I love mine.
[signature]
you don't always have to use water, it just depends on how smokey or how hot you want to smoke whatever you are smoking. The more water the longer it will take and the more smokey the meat will be. If you use no water and more heat the smoke doesn't penetrate as far into the meat. I think the no water method is perfect for anything you want to simply smoke and then put on the grill,

jed
[signature]
Sorry forgot to mention this as well. I love the fruitwood flavors the best for smoking. Apple and apricot are my personal favorites,

jed
[signature]
I love my watersmoker. Mine is propane. I ordered a watersmoker cookbook from cabelas. It was about 9 bucks. They also have chicken & turkey racks. I use the hell out of both of them. I've hardly used my bbq in the last three years since i got the smoker. From the articles in the last year or so about your cooking your really going to love it. As far as using the water, It helps keep alot of the moisture in so it doesn't dry out during the long cooking process. When I do Turkeys, I add wine, onions and several different ingredients to the water and have to add to it about half way thru because it's all evaporated. I do meatloaf, stuffed pork chops, fish of all kinds, jerky and about anything you can think of on it. Have fun, you'll wonder what you did with out it! Al
[signature]
One other thing. That cookbook has cooking times for about everything in it for electric, gas and charcoal smokers. The pages are plastic coated so if your anything like me, you can still read them after the first use. Al
[signature]
here's a bft smoking thread that tube dude responded to, i would refer to his answer:

[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=47093"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=47093[/url]

[cool]

sm
[signature]
My personal favorite is a mix of Maple & Alder for smoking fish. To prep them I let them sit in a glass baking dish overnight after sprinkling them with salt and brown sugar. A good place to get wood chips if you can find is a cabinet making shop. The shavings seem to bet just right for smoking.
[signature]