Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Summer's now here. Bring on the ice-fishing!
I know that open-water season has just fully opened up here in the northern states and I can't wait to get out there more often and really work those fish good!

At the same time, I'm eager to hit the ice again. I wish there was a lake around that I could ice-fish year around. I was in the shed putting on my winter boots and dreaming of sitting in the cold, pole in hand, auger by my side, and keeping an eye on the tip-up 30 yard away.
[signature]
hey , i'm hitting the yard sales for a new set of skis .

i've got the lumber , the paint and the tarp , just lacking the right set of skis to go with it .

this year i'm gonna be warm and tostey for the next ice fishing contest .

here wally, wally , comon boy , hit the jig !
[signature]
i hear you dude i want the ice fishing season to start soooo bad that on a tube trip i took yesterday i took one of my shorty ice poles and jigged a 1" tube ended up catching a 15" brooki
[signature]
hei , my ice rod dosen't get a rest either , i've got some killer brookie streams around here , covered in brush falls and log jams . that icerod is the ticket for tight areas like that .
[signature]
Try downhill or cross country ski's?
[signature]
I think I saw a pair of skies leaning up against the back door of theoutdoorlodge. you might want to walk around to the back and take a look at them,

I think there was a sign on them that said free.
[signature]
LOL ! , NOW THATS A GENTLE REMINDER THAT I HAVEN'T BEEN THERE IN A WHILE , GUESS I BETTER GET OVER THERE REAL SOON .[Wink]
[signature]
I DON'T KNOW , THE WIDE ONES .

TRIED THE SKINNY ONES AND IN THE SLUSHEY TOP ICE THEY WERE MORE OVF A DRAG THAN ANYTHING , IT KEPT SINKING TO EASILY . THE WIDE ONES SHOULD SKIM ACROSS THE TOP A LOT EASIER .

THERE AT ALL THE YARD SALES UP HERE , EVEN THE OLD WOODEN SKIS . $2 TO $10 BUCKS A PAIR .
[signature]
nope! wasnt a hint, it was a clue of where to find a free pair of skies.

I think they are 260 or 270 Regonals the old binding style. they are 1/2 inch wider than most skies.
[signature]
Man I couldnt agree more. I mean heck, I have a boat and powered float tube and all that good stuff, but I'd much rather travel the waters on an ATV or Snow machine. Heck its only the end of June and I'm already hoping for an early winter, (about a month from now). Besides, my new 10" Power Auger is aching to drill me a few hundred ice shishin' holes.

Maybe its time to start building this years portable shanty, It might get my mind off ICE FISHIN'!! LOL
[signature]
I know you are asking about skies, but would a pair of snowboards work as well? They are a lot fatter than skies are.
[signature]
Here in colorado,I can hit some lakes at 12,000ft. for ice fishin in early october! Thats only 2 1\2 months away. Yea baby!
[signature]
I just might hafta take a few sick days and head out there. It's nearly impossible for me to take vacation time from September through March.
[signature]
I have a pair,

you may want to try a local ski pro shop at a ski lodge. or even the rental shop at the ski lodge. they will be of poor quality, but just fine for ice sleds.
[signature]
Yea , i saw a pair at a yardsale down the street .
I'm not sure if they sold them , but i could check on it for a fellow member (hint,hint,hint).
since they were made in michigan from oak , which we have plenty of , oak ,oak and more oak , i see them for sale quite alot . prices vary from $20.00 to $300.00 a pair . the yard sale pair was $20.00 .
[signature]
Check at the local pawn shops , the ones around here are loaded with them !!!

>
[signature]
Also , try using old water skis , they will carry a heavier load !!

[signature]
Wouldn't water skis give you more resistance when pulling the sled?
[signature]
Depends on what your pulling it with ! If it's a snowmobile or four wheeler, no problem , if by hand , I can see it being a problem in deeper snow ! The main thing is , is to build it up ( the box ) so it clears the snow !!
Another thing is , that if the snow is on the harder side , they'll work like snowshoes and float over the snow , where the skinnier skis would bust through , but then again , it depends on the weight your hauling !!!

>
[signature]
I pull by hand with maybe a little help from the dog. I have a jet sled that works pretty well for hauling stuff, but my shelter doesn't slide very well, and I was thinking about building a platform with skis to place it on. I'm not sure how well it would work, but what can it hurt, right?
[signature]