Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Danger in Salt Creek
Well, I am back after a month of no working computer. ssor finally got it fixed.

Now for the danger in Salt Creek. Sometime or other some European wild boars and sows got loose an have invaded the area. It is estimated that ther are now some what over two hundred in the last two mile area around Salt Creek between Ohio route 56 and Pretty Run Road. There is an area of approximately 200 acres that hads been invaded. These wild oigs love to play in the creek shallows and will attack just about anything.
They have come within a hundred yards of our home an all over the surrounding area from Salt Creek to a mile aeay. They will attack a human on foot so if anyone is wanting to fish that area you should be armed and be sure of an escape route. Until the past few days fishing has been fine in the area for bluegills and cat fish but the bass have hidden under the muddy waters caused by the excessive rainfall. The lakes and streams are now clearing and bass fishing shold return to good if the rains do not cause more flooding sin the area. A lot of Ohio is already headed for the deltas of Louisiana. I hope to hear from the game waden this week with more news of fishing in this area and also to find out how the pigs are going to be gotten out of here.

Windy
[signature]
Windy,
Find out what the regs are for hunting the renigades in your area. post the info here and on the hunting board. As there are many children living in the area along Salt Creek we need to get them cleared out befor one of the children get hurt or killed.
[signature]
sounds like some good eatin there, them uropeans are mighty taisty[Tongue]

but like you said dangerous, even more so than a bare. they should have little ones this time of year and will be protecting them for the next several months.

if there are 200 now you could expect close to 2000 in the next year or two. even more by the end of this decade if some one dosnt get out and start hunting them.

they dont taist like pork but are a fine table fair. hopefuly the DNR will tell you to just go out and stock the freezer. I would enjoy having one sittin there in the freeser next to a deer and a turkey or two and about 50 pounds of gills [Tongue][Tongue][Tongue]
[signature]
Yes windy if you here anything about a hunt for those hogs let us know and keep us up to date. I live just across the border in Pa. and would love to come out and rid Ohio of those nasty critters.
[signature]
Sory I have been so long answering, we had a flooded basement and 1000 canning jars were in dstroyed boxes. Also the mud has to go out and the block walls resealed and that has beena priority here. The wild boar are good eating and they are there for the taking. Just beware they will attack. Should make this longer but have few minutes to spare. Also ssor and Vernon are laying block walls for our new walkin freezer. SomedY THAT WILL BE FINISHED! So far the project has taken two years and all of that time we have had a 10 f00t deep hole and no front door.
We have seen sows with as manyh as 13 piglets. They think now that they are closer to 2000 now. Also they are spreading out They are now being seen 5 to 10 miles down salt creek. I want some in my freezer and if I get enough i will sugar cure the hams.
[signature]
Hi lakelurker,
Just talked to the game warden. His comment was kill them. No holds barred. Come on over f anyone gets nasty, you are just a cousin and we got about twenty acres plus of hogs.
[signature]
Sorry about getting back to you so late. Don't you think I would at least need a non resident hunting liscense? Sounds great though. Is there any state land nearby? I often thought about coming out to hunt deer. It would make a great combo hunt for a week. Lakelurker
[signature]
You do need a nonresident licence to hunt deer. We have quite a few but that season doesn't startfor a while and gun season is not untilNovember. However , the game warden said just shoot all the boar we can. I think you would be fine at our place. You would be more than welcome and we have an extra bed for a visit. Windy
[signature]
Thank you so much for the offer. I can't make it out there right now but will keep it in mind for the next couple of months. I have a full schedule right now but would love a crack at one, or two. If you get a chance please keep updating us on this though.
[signature]
Windy is telling you the facts. I was there when she talked to the Game Officer. He stated that no licanse is needed to take the Wild boar and it is an open season. Take all you want. The only restriction is that hunting is limited to Dawn till Dusk. No night or spot light hunting allowed on the Boar for safty reasons.
After I finnish building the Walkin freezer for Windy I plan on taking a couple days with a friends Elephant gun and bag one or two of them Boar for my freezer. Will probly be about 3-4 weeks till I get her Freezer done.
[signature]
Does Salt creek come right through the middle of South Bloomingville or does it pass through any of the nearby State Forests? Hocking?
[signature]
just let me and angler know if you need a couple of spare sharp shooters
[signature]
sorry about the delay in reply. The area in question is in the north west corner of Vinton County. south west of South Bloomingville. it is close to State forest area but do not think it is actualy in the park.
[signature]
Dave, We anuse all the sharpshooters we can get. These nasty hogs like to hide but will attack so bring on any and all. We have a couple of spare bedrooms and lots of food so any and all are welcome. They only thing I don't have right now is a living room. It's full of tomatoes. You can guess what ZI am doing when I'd rather be fishing. Windy
[signature]
Thanks for the invite.

did dwight manage get that walk-in finshed?

all you need now is a smoke house [Tongue] and a grinder to make hams and sausage and boar burger....

Yep I remember them daze, bushel after bushel of maters and come september we would be a picken and a cannen every other day and then about the first week or two in october we would have to pick every thing red yellow and green.

I my self only got one matter this year to speak of out of my garden yester day, I went to the store just a couple hours ago to get me a jar of mirical whip..... so me and my 1 1/2 pound mater are going to be watching foot ball tomarow...

I have to admit it was a toss up as to what I was going to do with my one and only mater. it was between a poormans bloody mary or a mater sandwich...

the cold spring killed my maters... the one plant that did not get killed did not start growning untill about three weeks ago. I have half dozen hard ball maters left on the vine that may end up getting fried green if they dont ripen soon.... one will any way.

I was not realy in the need of much gardening stuff this year, my freeser is still full from last year. so when the maters died I planted pole beens in thier place and set morning glories in with them. you should see the masive been stalk... I will take a pic to share with you in the next couple days when the sun is at the right angle.

I put in a row of taters from a bag that went bad last spring and set in the onions I baught last febrary that rotted in the cuboard. I just stuck the root bottom a 1/4 inch in to the ground and my lord what a bunch of the best taisting onions I ever taisted... they grew and multiplied in three different ways, they split from the bulb on the bottom, the made seeds on the tops, and then made bulbs on the top. I think I will have another harvest of onions next year with out having to plant...[cool] this year I ended up with a 5 pound bag of taters and a 5 pound bag of onions. I slipped in a couple heads of coliflower in between the taters.

I have already picked 3 bushels of pole beens 12-14 inchen in lenth a bushell of wax beens... them carp do do a nice job in the garden.[Wink] last year I put in 20 pounds of nitrogen and 500 gills a couple bass and trout and about 20 20+ pound carp... boy was my garden sweet this last spring when I had to turn it all by hand shovel...

I forgot to mention the 2 bushells of brocholi I all ready harvested this year, not to mention the winter harvest the brocholi will yeld.

LOL I do like to talk about my garden... Did I mention my garden is 8 foot by 12 foot?

since I dont can any more I cook and freeze in heavy duty freezer bags my beens. I throw in a chunk of ham and taters in with them so I always have home gown green beens any day I get a hankering for them....

I came up with a wild idea for next year if I havent moved yet. I am going to plant a been tree.[shocked]

I have a dwarf cherry tree I have been waiting 15 years to get a harvest from and my best year I get half dozen berries from it. I am going to strip the bark around the bottom of the tree and kill it, and mound the dirt up around the base and plant poll beens all the way around it and let it grow up in to the tree... I got the idea after seeing how well a bean vine did that crawled in to the tree by axident. should make an intresting site to see not to mention what it could produce giving all the beens room to grow...

sorry to bend your ear so much, I do like talking about my garden...[cool] I just dont like any one else walking in my garden...LOL [Wink]
[signature]
We will be looking forward to anyone who can get more pork than they can use. I already have the meat band saw and the grinder and bet I can build a smoke house in just a few days or hours. I also got the curing salt and brown sugar so I am ready for all the pork I get.

Dwight had to take a break on the walk in. They have one day of blocks yet to lay and then the insulated box goes in. Right now he is in virginia getting more computers for kids. I think he had better stop and just get more f them out than in as you can't get through his house even after he has two moble homes full of computers, monitors and parts.

Yo are lucky. I can't grow broccoli here the ground hogs eat it. Can't grow green beans or limas either. The deer strip them before we can get them picked. I still have several bushels of tomatoes and peppers and in October ther will be fall squash and pumpkin. By Thanksgiving I should be through for the year (I hope).

You can always let me know about your garden. I like to know I am not the only one that is a bit of a nut about home grown food.

We planted 5 apple trees four years ago and the deer eat every apple the can reach so this is the first year we have gotten any.
We got four out of one tree and our granny smith died so we will plant more next year.

I hope to enlarge the garden next year and attempt to deer and ground hog proof it with a high fence above ground plus 3 foot underground. This will all depend if I get a tiller for the 3 point hitch on our tractor.

I still haven't had a minute to caLL my own but the pole and tackle box are on the porch all ready for the first minute I can find.
[signature]
cant say I dont have my fair share of munching vandles.

I got the grown howgs, deer, ground squrils, japanese beatle, golden beatle, an ocational tomato werm, but my worts nemisest it snails.

what it takes to knock out the snails will kill the plants. Oh the joys of living 50 feet away from a swamp.[blush]

I learned a long time ago that in my area if you dont have a critter fence around the garden then you wont have a garden.

I managed to keep the ground squrils out by adding all the dead fish and nitrogen, my little critter fence seems to work on the deer and howgs and rabbits.

the snails clime up the pole beans and stay there all day.

I have desided that if I am still here next year I am going to try a mild salt spray through my insecticide sprayer. I am thinking if the salt is mild enough it wont hurt the plants and will give the snails a belly ache...

I went out earlier this year with 10 pounds of snail pellets, I found I have so many snails I was just feeding the snails. So I grabbed my salt shaker and sprinkeled the garden lightly and the snails started cooking in thier own juices. I had herd that salt would do that to snails but never had nerve to tourture one to find out.

next year I am going to spray the whole yard and the garden after every rain.
[signature]
I've only got a minute, catsup is cooking but I found the best way to get rid of both snails and slugs. Pour a cup of beer in a throw-away pie pan. They love it and climb in and drown. I learnwd this one when I had them so bad they turned my red chimney brown all over out in California. When I came back to OHIO I tried it here and beleive it or not my Mother , God's gift to temperance, Bought beer to get rid of slugs in her garden and flower's. This lady was so strict that she would notuse vanilla extract because it contained alachol and bought all her flavorings from a special health food store where they had non alacholic products. Of course I told her that this just proved there is some good in everything.
Talk at you later. We are waiting to see if we get as much rain from Ivan aswe did from Francis 6 1/2 inch in less than24 hours.
[signature]
yep the beer thing dose work, unfortunatlly for me my snail population is so heavy I would have to buy stock in budwiser [Tongue]

I live next to a swamp. meaning the swamp begains at the edge of my property line.

If I was smart, I would start spraying now to kill off anything remaining in the yard, but I am not that smart...LOL...
[signature]
say windy, you all put any of them root snooters in the new walk in freezer?

I was Just wondering how things are going down your way.

hope all is well...
[signature]