Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sarasota Fla. Report 06/24/02
June 24, 2002<br><br>Sarasota Fla. Fishing Report<br><br>By Capt. Bob Smith<br><br>Tarpon are still moving along the beaches and in the passes. It has been a better year than last year but no free lunch. The average seems to be two per day but sometimes it takes a very long day to accomplish that. With tarpon fishing, it is the hunt as well as the jump that makes the day.<br><br>Snook have been building up in the passes and adjacent docks as they do each year and can give you some fun. It is catch and release time for snook so bring a camera along.<br><br>Seatrout are back on the bay and all of the grass flats are thick with trout. Most of the trout have been just under the 15" limit, but we have been able to find enough keepers to make a good catch. Some of the trout have been well over four pounds. A live shrimp on a popping float has worked very well. If you can find live pigfish or finger mullet to use as bait, you have a good chance of hooking a trout over six pounds. I have had a few big trout grab a small trout on the way in. Personally, I have been using a 52M Red & White Mirrolure and retrieving it as slow as possible, just touching the top of the grass. This is nothing new but a very old standard that works all the time by perfecting your retrieve.<br><br>In with the trout, we have found bluefish and Spanish mackerel, some pompano and even small cobia.<br><br>Enjoy and Protect<br><br>For more information on Sarasota's Sportfishing, please visit my Website: http://www.sarasota-fla-fishing.com<br><br><br><br>