Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fillet Boards & Tools
[cool][blue][size 1]I[/size][/blue][#000000][size 4] posted up a rerun of my catfish filleting writeup a while back. A couple of eagle-eyes spotted my custom fillet board and asked me about it. I had also done a writeup on it last year sometime, and the pics on it had disappeared too. So, by request, here is a rerun of the info on my filleting setup:[/size][/#000000][#000000][size 4]

I have been using particle board material for fillet boards for a long time. My current model is state of the art...with a 36 inch ruler along the bottom, and a large hole that can be positioned either over a sink or a trash can in the great out of doors. No fancy fish clamps. Those are designed for fishermen...not fish.

I sealed the wood on mine, and added about three coats of Minwax urethane finish. It really doesn't get too slick with water and blood, and it is large enough to accomodate a good sized fish.
[/size][/#000000][size 1]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=5327;] [/size]

[#000000][size 4]My standard setup for a filleting job. I use the electric knife on most small to medium sized fish, and go up to the big blades and even the cleaver for super tough bones. Note the Kevlar glove. The only time I get cut is when I don't put it on, because I don't think I will get cut. Actually, most of my cuts are from the sharp gill covers on some fish...NOT mishandling my cutlery.

Also, note the steel, for touching up knives while you are using them. I have long believed that the most dangerous knife is a dull one...because you have to put more pressure on it to cut through fish, and you have less control.
[/size][/#000000]
[signature]
That is a Primo setup Dude. Do you have to have any special licences to carry that much weaponry? JK. Nice effecient and easy to take care of. I am assuming that you keep the cutlery and steel in it's own box as well. Do you have your electric knife set up for DC, or do you have a converter for your vehicle? Thanks for sharing. Nails
[signature]
Hey TD so I just got a new 7 1/2 " Rapala brand fillet knife for Father's Day from my wife. Have you had any experience with it, or heard of others that have? It's what I asked for, and my dad has always used the exact same one my whole life, but I'm sure the steel isn't the hardest strongest stuff around, and it may dull quickly.

It came with a sharpener, too, but I wonder how good of quality it is or if I should just use a regular whetstone. Any info. would be appreciated thanks.

[Image: f_n_f.gif]
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Hey Nails, I keep most of my knives and steels in one of those big blocks with knife slots and holes for the steels. Some of the bigger dudes I keep in sheaths in a drawer, along with the electric and extra blades.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]I have tried several of the DC models, which run off 12 volt. I haven't found any that had the power I like for buzzing through heavy rib cages. I keep my fish in a live basket while tubing, then dump them into a cooler full of ice for the ride home. They are still flopping when I put the blades to them in many cases, and I have big sinks and garbage cans all set up for a "production run" if I got a batch. In many cases I have only a couple for dinner and the job is quick and easy.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]I understand there are some newer 12 volt knives that DO work fairly well. I have just not had the desire to throw more money in that direction when I got things under control with the 120 volt. And, it's a summagun to carry a 50 mile long extension cord for using the big boy out in the woods.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]By the way, no special licenses necessary. Ya just gotta be a typical boy...always liked knives. When I worked on fishing boats (partyboats and commercial fishing) I had a whole rack of knives I kept razor sharp. Woe to the dude who "borrowed" one of them without my permission. That's like romancin' your honey when you ain't lookin.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Hey cat_man, that Rapala should be required in the knife arsenal of every fisherman who wants to fillet fish. I have used them for more years than I can remember...in several sizes. Is that knife 7 1/2" overall length or 7 1/2" blade. If it is the former, it is best for fine boning work but not heavy enough for butchering bigguns.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]In the attached pic, the largest Rapala knife has a blade of 9". It is a workhorse for all sizes of fish, and is especially good for whipping through a sink full of perch or white bass. You will see it in action in the catfish filleting thread.[/size][/#0000ff]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=5329;]
[#0000ff][size 1]Rapalas DO have good steel. The hardness is just right for filleting uses. It is hard enough to hold a good edge for quite a few fishes, but it does not take two days to work the edge down to a good enough edge to fillet fish. Some knives need a lot of work before they can be properly called good fillet knives.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]I suspect that sharpener would be better for maintaining an edge on regular kitchen knives than on fillet blades. Most of those handy dandy sharpeners put a fast angle on the edge. I like to work the edge with a good stone until it is a slow taper. You have to have two or three good stones, with progessively finer abrasive, and work it down to the right taper and degree of sharpness. I test mine on the hair of my arm. When I am filleting a lot of fish, my left arm looks like it has been in chemotherapy.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]I posted another writeup on sharpening last year. I can't find it, but I did keep the pics in my files. The one shows the different stones, diamond sharpeners and steels I keep nearby when I am using my knives. [/size][/#0000ff]

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=5331;]

[#0000ff][size 1]The good news is that you don't have to invest a lot to put a good edge on your knives and keep them in ready condition. I have two 2-sided carborundum stones...one side coarse and the other fine. I paid about $20 for one and only about $3 for the other one at a swap meet. The cheaper one was made in China, but it works fine and usually travels with me whenever I take my knives afield. [/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]What about diamond hones and sharpeners? They are great for taking a lot of metal off the edge of a new knife, when you are trying to work in a good filleting edge. After that, all you do is shorten the life of the knife blade by using it too much. Once your knife has been properly setup and broken in, a few light strokes on the stone from time to time, and a few licks on the steel to keep the edge true, and you get a lot of efficient filleting without having to spend a lot of time sharpening and resharpening.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]WORD OF ADVICE: Do not mix your good fishing knives with the family stash. Wives love sharp knives for kitchen duties and kids will be out cutting down giant redwoods with them if you leave them where they can get at them. All you know is that you put the knife away sharp and when you need to fillet some fish, the cutting edge is duller than the back edge. How dat hoppen?[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Best bet is to have sheaths for all sharp blades, and keep them rolled up in a cloth protector or safely stored in a box. Also saves some quick trips to the emergency room for stitches in the kids (or wife's) anatomy. Super sharp knives need to be protected and respected.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
The blade itself is 7 1/2 ", with an added 5" for the handle. The 6" blade was like $2 less, it was a much better value to get the longer one.

One thing I really hate is filleting a fish with a knife that is too small and the tip ends up not extending past the backbone of the fish and you have to really be tricky to get it to fillet. Up until now I've either borrowed my dad's if I was at his house anyway, or I used my 4 inch hunting knife blade, which is thick and not even a tiny bit flexible, and aweful to have to fillet with.

Luckily I don't keep fish that often, so I haven't had to suffer that much.
[signature]
I always wondered about this. There are so many usefull threads that get lost and there should be a way to "save" them. On other boards (not fishing related) they use the "sticky" technique or incorporate them in to an "articles" area.

BFT probably doesn't have the "sticky" feature or I'm sure we would have seen some by now, or do they?
[signature]
[blue][size 1]
So you're into "sticky", huh? Coincidentally, that is one of the new "upgrades" being added to the moderators abilities. See the description from the moderators' board yesterday:

[#000000]Sticky threads[/#000000][#000000]- You can create a sticky thread by clicking the "Sticky" link beside the post (it shows up around the same area as the Keep/Lock/Move links), or by clicking the "Sticky thread" checkbox when writing a new thread. Of course, only moderators and administrators can make a thread sticky. [/#000000]

[/size][/blue]
[signature]
Great!!! Now all the good stuff won't get lost Smile
[signature]
A good--and cheap--fillet station can be made from an old ironing board. When you're done, hose it off and fold it up until next time.
[cool][blue][size 1]And, if you have the iron heated up you can grill the fish and get the wrinkles out too.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]That's a good suggestion, Gumbo. I have known a couple of guys that use ironing boards. In fact, the small travel size are ideal for tucking into the trunk and setting up to do the fish in camp. They are just right for the tailgate on a truck or SUV.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
That's a nice cuttng board. I like the hole in the middle too, so you don't have to scrape off the fish guts, they just fall in there. Very creative.[Smile] Maybe Ocean could make something like that. Our's is just a plain white cutting board, but I guess it does the trick.
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Hey, Lady O, good to see you mixin' it up with us guys. Like your posts.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]Yeah, I made the board to suit what I had been looking for and couldn't find. Got tired of wrestling with big fish on wimpy fish boards. I kind of adapted from one I used to use on the party boats on the salt in California. Got the particle board free, as scrap. Cut the hole with a jig saw, rounded the edges with a disc sander and put the urethane on it. Probably cost me about $2 in materials.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]If you have a cutting board that works, what the heck. The big problem is getting the fishies to use it on. Right?[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
Hmm, Pat I dont see the bench grinder. HA![laugh]
[signature]