Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
sight problems
i don't know whats wrong with my bow sight i'm shootin way low i've tried adjusting it and that won't work. when i got it at cabelas, they have a little range in there so you can try out your bow, and we got it sighted in up there and now it's off.

I'm new to hunting I've never been before and all my dad knows is how to hunt is quail so it's hard for me to learn everything i need to know. My Dad part time farms so we got some land we can hunt, and theres this wooded area about 4 or 5 acres big and my dad thinks theres deer in there cause he has seen them out by there. Theres a clearing spot and were going to put some salt blocks and other food out in there and were goin to build a stand close to the clearing spot.

Also do you got any suggestions for what kind of food or something for the deer to eat. And does that food that says it will make thier antlers grow, does that really work?

Thanks
[signature]
this is the most common problems of all beginning archers. they shoot fine on the range but when they get out in the woods they shoot under the deer and cant for the life of them figure out what is going on. they go back to the range and find they are back on again.

rule number one never ajust your sites in the woods. if they are off, go home....

rule number two, every thing in the woods seems closer than it realy is. you see a deer, and it looks 2 times bigger than the paper deer you were shooting at on the range. that is because it is bigger, 4 times bigger than your paper target. [ul] [ul] [li]to over come this problem you need to do this. get your self a ball of twine. at home measuer your line to your range distances. tie a knot with a peice of ribbon in the knknot. do this for all your range pins on your site. [/li] [li]tie one end to your stand where you are sitting. that means if you are sitting 25 feet up in the tree you climb in to your stand dragging your string with you and tie it up there. throw down your ball of twine down and place a marker in half dozen places in all directions from where you are setting. do this for every ribbon on your twine. [/li] [li]this may seem amiturish to you, belive me, it isnt. many hunters find a way to mark their areas where it is un noticible while others use the same collored ribion to match the pin on their sight. [/li] [li]doing this will give you an exact measure of just how far away from your target you realy are. you will then be able to aim higher or lower as the situation presents its self.[/li][/ul] [li]it takes hundreds of hours of shooting in the woods to realy be able to hunt wild game and be able to know your bow well enough to know the ark of the arrow when realeased. [/li][/ul]

the second most common mistake made by the beginner archer is they pracitce with a blunt tiped arrow or a tiped arrow that is lighter than the razered arow they hunt with. this will result in under shots at known distances. [ul] [ul] [li]there are several methods of overcoming this problem. you can pratice shooting with the razors removed from your tip, there will be some loss but no where near the amount of what your are experiencing.[/li] [li]you can buy two sets of razors for your tips and pratice in bails of straw or artificial life targets. this will give you the best results.[/li] [li]if you can aford it buy two sets of arrows and tips. this way you have an exact match from your pratice to your hunting tools. this is the ablolute way to go because you will not damage or worp the shafts of your hunting arrows.[/li] [li]
[/li][/ul][/ul]

these are the first two things I would tell you to concentrate on. if you get these down you will be bringing home the sausage should it present itself.
[signature]
Before you adjust your sight make sure it is not you that is off. What I mean by that is make sure whenever you pull back your bow that you pull it back to the exact same anchor point every time. The corner of your mouth or wherever your best line of sight is. This is what a (kisser button) is for. It keeps you starting at the same point every time. If your bow still shoots consistently low(by consistent I mean after 10 or more shots)check and make sure that all screws are tightened up on your bow,arrow rest, and sights, then shoot 10 more and then if it still isn't correct adjust your sight pin down just a little, about 1/16th inch. Shoot a few more until you acheive the desired distance.

Deer are where the food is. First try scouting the fields in the evenings and watch where the deer enter the field.Then towards the midddle of the day go follow that trail back through the woods until you find out where they bed up. Only do this once because if you jump them out of there beds more than that they will leave the area. In fact if you jump a good buck once he may not be back. The key is to try and set up between where they sleep and where they eat. Alot of the time deer will come to a small place just inside the woods and stay there until right before dark. This is called a staging area and you will find quite a few rubs at times in these places. This is the best place to set up.

And rememeber whenever that time comes and the buck walks out you want to be confident you can make a clean quick kill so practice alot. Jerry
[signature]
the draw back is a good point. You should master this before ever leaving the target range. That is just plain slopyness and is the leading cause of injured to wonder off dead deer. I see so much of this during rabbit season every fall. deer had wondered off to die on main trails in the woods by people who dont belong in the woods. nothing irritates me more to see such a waist and is just plain "P" poor sportsmanship. It is so important to have a good attitude about learing and developing the how to's.

there is so much involved in hunting deer that if you did not grow up under your pappie's wing you realy need to spend a conciderable amount of studing hunting and tracking tecneques.

I am not saying dont go, I am saying getting the shot of is not what the sport is all about. there is so much more to this sport in developing the nessasary skills needed. But when you do take a shot you need to know for a fact that your arrow is going where intended. just like riffle hunting, there is nothing more dangerous than a fleeting projectial [pirate]

Thanks Jerry for bring this point to attention.
[signature]
The best way I have found when hunting with your bow is constant practice. Read your manual on your sight and see if you have moved it or bent it, that could make a big differance.
[signature]
that happend to me once in the woods, I shot and hit the ground 4 feet in front of the deer.

what happended was the nut holding the site pin came loose. boy that realy sucked. I was so mad I threw the bow away. The bow was cracked any way and was one its way out the door, the pin thing was the straw that broke the eliphants back.

lesson learned, I now use loc tite on my pins. (not super glue, you never know if you might have to reset the pin for a different range.)

A good hunter will scout his area and measure the preposed ranged to pratice shooting at.

20 feet in any direction can make a tremendous difference, especialy if you complicate it with shooting from an elivated position.
[signature]
i think i'm not putting the arrow in the right place, i'm not sure what this is called but i think it's called a nocking point (the kinda goldish round thing on your bow string) i've been putting the arrow right above it.
[signature]
sounds like you are mounting the arrow right.

that is how I was tought. You can get two knock rings placed on you string for a never miss mounting....[Wink]
[signature]
just what i would have told him.,buy a range finder is the third thing you need to use all the time .
[signature]
most of the range finders i've seen are too expensive
[signature]
I too have found the price of a range finder a bit rough on my wallet. I rely heavily on known distances and making educated judgment calls in between.

Say if I set one pin at twenty yards and my next to 30 yards, and a deer comes in between the two, I can judge weather the deer is half way or closer to one side or the other. I do this by estimating between the pins, if the deer is 1/4 the distance behind my first marker I can imagine there is a distance pin 1/4 of the way down to my next pin. [center][Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=5535;][/center] [center]I hope this helps to show the advantages of marking your territory in the field.[/center]
[signature]
Kansas did you have the Cabelas guys tune your bow before you left. It's one thing to sight your bow in but if your bow isn't tuned it doesn't matter how good a shot you are.

I'd get a paper test done by somebody who knows what they are doing. After that resight it in and get ready for the hunt.
[signature]
i figured out my problem, when i put the arrow right above the nocking point and then set on the arrow rest, the arrow isn't level it's tilted down a little. so i need to lower my nocking point (i think it's called a nocking point)
[signature]
Knock point??? Don't you mean your arrow rest.

The biggest thing besides practice is getting your bow paper tested or tuned in so the arrow flies perfectly.
[signature]