Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Striper fishing in jeopardy on August 1
Thanks to the lack of action taken by the New Jersey Senate, striped bass fisherman could be in a pack of trouble come August 1. The Atlantic States Marina Fisheries Commission (ASMFC) declared that New Jersey must pass striped bass laws that agree with their program or be out of compliance by August 1. This has not been done.

In talking yesterday with Assemblyman Robert Smith (D-4) I learned why not. [Image: spacer.gif] [url "http://ads.nj.com/RealMedia/ads/click_nx.ads/www.nj.com/xml/story/Gloucester%20County%20Times/s/sports/@StoryAd?x"][Image: @StoryAd?x][/url]

"I would like to give you a history of the bill I introduced," said Smith. "In response to the overwhelming sentiment expressed by those at the three striped bass meetings recently, I introduced a bill that would be in compliance with the needs of the ASMFC. It allowed for one fish between 24 and 28 inches and another over 34 inches. It went through the committee I chair by a five-to-zero vote. It then went to the Assembly where they too passed it.

"When it reached the Senate, the Senate president refused to post it as it was not sent through the proper committee. In the past, bills have been passed this way, but he would not allow it. As we are now adjourned for the summer and will not return until sometime in September, it cannot be acted upon until that time."

Just what does this mean for New Jersey striper fishermen? Will it mean that the ASMFC will shut down the striper fishing as of August 1? Will they come down on us with more restrictive laws as to size and bag limits in 2005? We will have to wait and see.

"I am going to see the ASMFC and try and tell them that time did not allow us to get this bill through and that we worked in good faith to get into compliance," Smith said. "Hopefully this will do some good."

Meanwhile, striper fishermen will be able to use the existing laws until Aug. 1, at least. That is, one striper between 24 and 28 inches and another 28 inches or over.

The bonus fish is still in effect as well, but keep in mind that this is good in New Jersey waters only. Striper anglers fishing in out-of-state waters, such as Blake's Channel on the Delaware side of the Delaware Bay cannot use this bonus tag there.
[signature]