Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
scent lok
is scent lok clothing important, or is just spraying the scent sheild on good enough
[signature]
You want to be as scent free as you can, I feel that is very important because they can smell you a mile away. Do not put on your aftershave before you go hunting![Wink]
[signature]
scent control can be controlled if you use scent blocker and a good cover scent,also getting above there nose helps beat there best defense and beats there senses on there on thurff. also soaking colthes in area acorns and pine needdles and slowlly let them seep a day or two will kepp the sent also add the scent to a spray bottle to apply later when body temp rises to refresh
[signature]
I have never used either Scent-lok or the sprays. What I use is natural cover scent. If I am hunting near a corn feild, pine thicket,hardwoods etc... I let my camo hang overnight outside,either on a woodpile(fresh cut works well) or I take them and put them in a plastic bag full of leaves,corn fodder,acorns or what ever I will be hunting nearest. Playing the wind is always your best bet though. If you know where the deer are coming from never hunt where the wind will be blowing your scent that way. Always approach your stand from the downwind side. There noses are alot better than ours and can pick up your scent from a long ways off.Good luck.
[signature]
I guess it is true that all good hunters think alike,,,

I have used both scents and have found that using natural scents work best. I like to use straw, hay or alfalfa and place some in a plastic bag with my hunting clothes. I have had deer come with in nose distance of me, LOL that right, I have had deer come right up to me and sniff me!!!

What a rush..... I had been tracking a couple deer for most of the afternoon, they came close to a 1 acre field in the middle of the woods and their tracks seemed to just disappears, I figured they had just jumped off in to the thickets and was waiting for me to pass them be, so I figured I would walk a quarter of the way around the opening and stand under an old cherry tree and watch the field for the last hour of day light. I had the idea that if I stopped following them they would walk out in to the field where I could get a shot.

So there I stood till just about twilight, when I could smell the deer. there was just the slightest hint of a breeze and that was blowing in my face. I new I had picked the right field to stand in, my heart began to pound and my senses started to become acute from the adrenaline,

Then it came, the sound of a buck snorting, and he was close, to close, for I had fallen it to the hunters greatest calamity, the buck snuck up to my back side, I had been standing under the tree of which the deer was going to gain access to the field of wild standing hay. I turned ever so slowly only to be eye to antler, the deer snorted at me again the time right in my face. Then he turned and with a couple bounds was off in to the woods, a slightly smaller buck that was just a few feet behind him followed suit. The deer and I had come face to face we had come to an understanding, we met each other on the battle field of honor and parted with respect of each others abilities.

Needless to say, I did not shoot; I can honestly say my most memorial hunting events have taken the time to think like a deer, attempting to think what I would do under the same situation if I were in their place.
[signature]