Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mosquito Lagoon Report
Capt. Rob Blake’s fishing report from Florida’s Mosquito Lagoon and Upper Indian River-updated July 9th 2002.<br><br>The Big Reds are here! If you have ever wanted to have a chance at catching a bull redfish, you need to get on the water! <br><br>Several schools of oversized reds into the upper 30-pound class are roaming the Indian River and Mosquito Lagoon. While finding these fish takes patience, and catching them takes an accurate cast, the fight of a big bull red you will never forget. On average, spin/bait fisherman can expect to fight these fish for up to an hour. Fly fisherman can expect the same-if not longer. Practice your casting!<br><br>Quick story…John Brazelton of Redington Fly Rods was aboard a couple of weeks ago and wanted a shot at the big reds he had always heard about. As we poled down the flat, I could see a school approaching, finning on the surface as they drew closer. I pointed out the school to John and he said, “…those are porpoise!” I had to politely correct him that they were in fact reds and his jaw hit the deck of the boat. After repeated presentations with the fly, he hooked into a 30 plus pounder only to have his fly pop out as the fish neared the boat-what a heartbreaker!<br><br>Slot size fish are also being found tailing at sunrise. As the flats warm these fish will become less active concentrate in slight depressions adjacent to the flats. <br><br>Its hot out there…and only going to get hotter, but the fish are here and waiting!<br><br>Capt. Rob Blake<br>www.redfishonfly.com<br>1-866-RED-DRUM Toll Free<br>1-321-633-0923 local<br>1-321-544-5041 cell<br><br><br><br><br><br>Contact Capt. Rob at 1-866-RED-DRUM <br>or 321-633-0923 or 321-544-5041 (cell).