Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fly Question
I've seen a lot of people lately using a fly/bubble set-up and I want to give it a try since I'v never done it. I understand that a person has to try to "match the hatch" in order to catch fish - However, could anyone recommend 1 or 2 different flies and sizes that I can keep with me to try when my trusty Kastmasters aren't doing the trick?
[signature]
Hi Pancho-

I'm going to recommend that you always have some gold-ribbed hare's ears in sizes 14, 16 and 18. Even if they don't precisely "match" any particular insect they are suggestive of lots of them. I have some other thoughts, too, but I'll see what other folks chime in with.
[signature]
The Hare's Ear ia great all round pattern, especially in the summer. You should also get some beadhead Pheasant Tails in #16 and 14, and some Prince nymphs in #12, 14, and 16. I have heard tons of theory on what a Prince nymph looks like? All I know is it works everywhere. Also get some olive Wooly Buggers and shorten the marabou tail! It will then pass for a Damsel Nymph or a Dragon Fly nymph.
[signature]
Try an Adams in #'s 14&16.I've also "matched the hatch" by adding a TINY piece of worm to the fly-whatever kind you use.Lately I've been killin em using a bubble with a plain hook instead of a fly,with the afforementioned piece of worm.Retreive very slowly and stop often-it just slays 'em!
[signature]
Some people gain satisfaction without using a piece of worm, but I've been known to fling crawlers at walleye. As for the hare's ear issue it is probably the most versatile pattern just because it can imatate a wide variety of bugs like scuds, (shrimp) mayfly and damsel fly nymphs which makes up most of the trout diet in these south park lakes. The other two patterns that always work are wolly buggers and egg patterns. Whatever the season one of those three patterns will always take fish. Don't take my word for it, try it next time.

Oats
[signature]
Thanks to all for the suggestions/recommendations. A friend gave me a couple of "Pistol Petes" which worked fairly well for me - however, I will definitely go out and get some hare's ears in the recommended sizes, and also the wooly buggers. I guess I will have to ask the person at the fishing shop about egg patterns because I am totally clueless on that one. Other than that, I think I'll go wormless on the flies - I still like the challenge. Thanks for all the help.
[signature]
[cool] You're welcome, Pancho. Please report back how you do. We're all interested in helping folks and hearing fish stories as well! Tight lines!!
[signature]
Be sure to stop off at the 11 mile store to get what you need!
[signature]
Whatever-
[signature]
[blue][size 1]Hey Pancho, fishing flies behind a bubble is easy and effective. I first learned how to do it in the high Sierra lakes of California many years ago, and have used it all over the country...on many different species. The only thing that changes when you fish for non-trout species is the patterns and the style of retrieve.[/size][/blue]
[#0000ff][size 1][/size][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][size 1]I am attaching a Word document of a writeup I put together on fishing flies with spinning tackle. Using a bubble is only one of the ways to effectively "spin a fly". Hope you get something out of it.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
[url "javascript: addTag('cool')"][cool][/url][#0000ff]Hey Guest, you have my permission to pass it along to whomever can take advantage of it.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]In rereading what I wrote quite a while ago, I was reminded that there are probably some misconceptions about fishing flies behind a bubble. I learned by dragging tiny dries (floating and sunken) in high mountain lakes for trout. I have since expanded the range of patterns and species to include all kinds of nymphs, streamers, wooly buggers and even poppers. Yep, you can get a small popper way out there with a bubble. The popping effect is not as good as with a fly rod, but you can twitch and gurgle em pretty well.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I know a guy that paints his bubbles bright colors and fishes big flashy streamers behind them for pike too. Only problem is that sometimes the pike munch the bubble and cut the line.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you want some big trout, try bubble chucking at night, using big black wooly buggers. Fish them on top or fill the bubble and drag them deeper. One of my best night offerings is a wooly bugger with a "claret" red body, black marabou tail and black wrapped hackle. Add a few strands of red Krystal Flash in the tail for extra punch.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]And, going back to the "drop shot" technique for fishing flies with a spinning rod, that is a great tactic for shorebound anglers who want to cast a long distance and drag flies just off the bottom. Put sinkers on the bottom of your line and a two or three foot dropper leader about two feet up the line. Cast it out, let it sink to the bottom and then hop and twitch it back "upslope". [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you are fishing in snaggy water, use a lighter leader for the sinker end, and use a piece of cut clothes hanger wire for a sinker. Put a tight bend in one end to tie the leader on and it will snake through a lot of rocks that would "eat" split shot or other sinkers. Since clothes hangers multiply in the dark, most folks have lots of them they can cut up into lengths from two to four inches.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
OOPS - That was me, Pancho. I forgot to log in. Once again, thanks for all the info.
[signature]