Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Smoked cat fish?
Has anyone ever smoked cat fish before? I love smoked fish, but don't want to waist the fish if its no good. If anyone has was there anything special you did to the meat? Any information would be great. Thanks.
[signature]
I'm planning on smoking just that when I get home tonight! Will let you know how it comes out
[signature]
that might be a hard to do, it might be hard to keep the catfish lit and the draw must be tough[laugh][laugh].
[signature]
Har, har, funny funny, yeah I know its hard to light one.

OK you missed it. I had some catfish jerky at the "tube-in" let everyone who wanted give it a try, there were no frowny faces. I don't have a smoker but I have a food dehydrator and used liquid smoke, if I don't say so myself it came out not half bad for an impromptu venture.
[signature]
I just got my smoker, and that is the first thing I tried. I really liked it too. My only problem was I left it in the brine for the same amount of time as the trout I smoked with it. All I can say is that cat fish soaks up the brine much quicker. I will only let it soak for about half as long next time. It was a bit salty but luckily I am a salt freak. I can't wait to experiment with this one. Thank for the push in the right direction.
[signature]
[url "javascript: addTag('cool')"][cool][/url][#0000ff]Hey guys, I have been smoking kittyfish for a long time. They are absolutely great. I use one of the Little Chief smokers and it does a fine job. Larger cats with thicker fillets usually work best. Although the smaller fillets come out fine, they are quicker to dry out. Nothing wrong with kittyfish jerky though.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]1. Fillet the catfish and cut the fillets into three inch chunks.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]2. Lay the metal racks on paper towels, over a layer of newspaper (to absorb drippings).[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]3. Spray the metal racks with a nonstick spray, or wipe with cooking oil (to reduce sticking).[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]4. Arrange the chunks loosely on the racks. Leave space between the pieces to allow easier flow of heat and smoke.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]5. Sprinkle well with fine NON-IODIZED salt (kosher is good).[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]6. Sprinkle liberally with sugar. Plain white sugar is dandy, but brown sugar adds flavor. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]7. Optional spiceup with mixture of black pepper, red pepper, garlic powder, cumin and oregano (my "Super Spice" mix.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]8. Turn chunks of fish over on the racks and similarly treat the other sides.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]9. Allow to stand at room temperature for an hour or so. The salt and sugar draws moisture out of the fillets and begins the curing process. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]10. Preheat the smoker.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]11. When a glaze has formed on the treated fillets, insert them into the smoker and put in the first pan of chips. I prefer hickory for fish. Mesquite is good too, for "flavorful" fish like catfish. Many folks like apple, cherry or other woods. Do not use pine or other strong resinous woods.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]12. Let the first pan of chips burn down to ash. Typically that takes about one hour. Dump the ashes and refill the chip pan and put it on the burner.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]13. Change pans about every hour or so. After the third pan, take out the fish racks and rotate the bottom to the top. There is more heat at the bottom and rotation helps even the cooking process.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]14. By the end of 3 or 4 pans of chips, the fish has absorbed about as much smoky flavor as it ever will. Test for being completely cooked. If it is done, remove it from the smoker.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]15. Catfish usually takes more cooking than most fish. In most cases you will want to leave it in the smoker for several hours more, checking it periodically for the preferred degree of doneness. I like slightly dry.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]16. To speed up the drying (jerky-fying) process, take the smoked product out of the smoker after 3 or 4 pans of chips and lay it on a foil-lined cookie sheet in the oven. Slow bake the fish at 160 for another hour or two, again checking to see how dry it has gotten.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]17. Thinly slice the smoked kittyfish and serve with cheese and crackers, and your favorite libation. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The sugar, salt and smoke partially cure the catfish, but it is best if refrigerated and consumed within about three weeks. That is never a problem around my place. It doesn't last that long.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Note: There are a lot of smoking recipes that call for soaking the fish in a brine solution for several hours before smoking. If you want a salty product that will last on your Antarctic expedition, that is fine. I like just enough salt and seasoning to enhance the natural flavor of the fish and not a salted brick.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have been using the "Kwik-N-EZ" smoke curing method for about 30 years, after picking it up from a salmon and steelhead guide on the Klamath River in northern California. Most folks who try it appreciate both the faster process and the end results.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]PS. This works for carp too. I used to substitute smoked carp for the salmon and steelhead my buddies used to clean me out of, and they swore it was the best stuff I had ever served them.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thanks T.D. This method sounds much better than the brine I used. I will try it this weekend. It will be a good appetizer for the smoked turkey I'm doing. Thanks again. Good luck with your move.
[signature]
TD, Sounds great, can't wait to give a try again when I hit the utah lake waters and catch a few kitties
[signature]