Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Soooooooooo.........I am pleading with you.
I m fishless since May, and that was only a run that I missed the hookset on. It doesn't count.
I'm out at that bloody lake 2 times a week. I've tried anchovies, lures, fishing at night, day, mid day, top, bottom, hot dogs, hot dogs flavored with my " Obsession for Carp ", and still nothing!!!
I see fish hitting the surface all the time. What does one need to catch a fish here??
Is the water level affecting anything, or am i just S.O.L. there ? Cursed maybe???

I'm not saying that I deserve a fish, but I could at least catch something back in Pennsylvania in at least 2 trips. Even if it was a rock bass, I got something.

So, where else can one go at the lake besides hole 33 and Pumphouse cove. I tried gov't wash a few times last year and didn't care for that place. Anything further past there, or below Pumphouse cove that might be a bit better?
[signature]
[size 2] [font "comic sans MS"] That's a very loaded question, shore fishings been tough for me lately too. The catch has been sparatic at best, a few on anchovy, a few on buzzbaits, a few on plain earthworms, and one on a pencil popper. However, there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Shortly the boils should be starting up, first in the mornings and evenings, then all day long. If you find a place to fish watch for evidence of shad, where there's shad, Striper and other shouldn't be too far behind. Topwater action is approaching, you may need to do a lot of lure throwing. If you're in the right spot at the right time, the potential is there to reel them in one after another. Below Pumphouse (closer to the Dam) you have Lake Mead Marina, Boulder Beach, Hemingway Fishing Point, and Horsepower Cove, most of which came up in this weeks NDOW report. Hope this helps.

[size 2] [font "comic sans MS"] David
[signature]
the boils began a few weeks ago... I dont know what is accesible from shore but you have to cover as much water as possible.

look for birds, if birds are circling or sitting on shore stay in that area, either a boil just went down or the are about to start. this time of year boils are not very violent they look more like carp skimming the surface. I fished a boil between the dam and centinal island for 2 hours sunday. go early or late and try different areas. if you dont see fish or activity within 10-15 minutes go to the next cove or point. the stripers are fat and sassy hope this helps and you get into them. it should only get better from here peaking in late august.
[signature]
thanks alot for the tips and report, and welcome to the board!

[Wink]

sm
[signature]
[size 2][Font "comic sans MS"] bassman13, welcome to the Nevada board. Thanks for the info. Please keep us updated on your fishing trips, good, bad, or indifferent. Also, we really dig pictures......

[size 2][Font "comic sans MS"] David
[/size][/size]
[signature]
Hey Adder,

I am by no means an expert, but if you just want to catch a fish, then get as close to one of the marinas as you can and chum out some corn... I use a cheapo wal-mart slingshot to get it out a bit further, though you don't have to get it out a country mile. Then thread three or so pieces of corn on a hook and throw it out in the chummed area. I can almost always guarantee at least one carp that way and sometimes several. Use a slip sinker and I usually leave the bail open on my spinning rod until I set the hook as resistance puts them off.

I have a friend who catches Tilapia occaissionally using frozen peas, though I've never personally tried this.

I really mean to go after the striper on Mead, to the point that I bought a small boat for that purpose this year, but I still haven't gotten out once since early winter. The few chances I've had to fish this year, I've headed straight to Utah or northern nevada for trout.

With a 14 month son and a baby girl due in November I think my fishing time is gonna be severely limited for the next couple of years.

BTW guys, I've not been posting lately because my computer took a dump on me. I had other matters pressing, so it took me a few weeks to order the parts and get it running again.

I also find it hard to get out to Mead because of the filth. My last trip out, I filled up several bags of trash while waiting on bites and when I was done it didn't even look like I had made a dent. That really discourages a man. It's not so bad when I take the boat, but I mostly don't bother. When I want to fish locally I usually just go to Floyd Lamb and catch bluegill,bass and carp in the ponds there. I don't always have luck there however either, but infinately more than on Mead.

If you do go for carp, soak your corn in a jar of anise and/or banana extract for a few days before chumming/fishing with it. It makes a difference. I know most people don't care for carp, but in your situation I'd give it a shot just to catch something.

Hope this helps,
Mark
[signature]
[size 2] [font "comic Sans MS"] Telbone, good to see you got your computer fixed. I picked up a little boat also. I've taken it out to the three or four times but have yet to put in the water. It seem that when I show up at the lake the wind decides blow (usually the wrong direction). Little boat and Lake Mead do not mix. Did your friend happen to mention where was getting the Tilapia? Trash!!!!!!! I recently posted on this particular topic, very disappointing. Well anyway, glad your back up and running.

[size 2] [font "comic Sans MS"] David
[signature]