Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shimano Sahara Spinning Reels
I have been looking at the shimano sahara reel for some time know and i think i will get one. Any of you have one? How are they? What do you like and dislike about them?
[signature]
I have a couple. I really like them. No negatives for me.
[signature]
I too have a couple of them, one in a 4000 and another in a 2000. I an a fan of shimano reels. I have also picked up a couple of okuma avenger and metaloid reels, those are nice as well.
[signature]
I have a few also. I only buy shimano's. I really like them. They do wear out after a few years of hard fishing, but they are not too expensive.

Bmurr
[signature]
I'm with you,, I like em because all in all their a fairly tough real and not so expensive I feel guilt [Wink] buying a new one when the paint gets scuffed up.
[signature]
How much are the saharas and do you know the details on them ie. bearings, drag, etc??
[signature]
I have always been a shimano man too. I have had the sedona, the sahara and last year upgraded to the symetre. It has been my experience that you can't go wrong with these reels. Let us know how you like it.[Wink]
[signature]
Just found on the shimano web-site that the sahara has 3 anit-rust bearings and anti-reverse for positive hook-sets. The anti-reverse is the best feature you can have.. I wouldn't own another reel without it. I think they are about $40 or $50, i think..
[signature]
Sorry to put a negative comment on this post but...

I bought one of the Shimano Saharas about 2 months ago and I can say that I am not all that pleased with it. I might be picky but when I spend 50 bucks I want a good reel. I will say that I love some of its features though, but it is not as smooth as it should be.

My problem with the reel comes when I have the anti-reverse feature engaged. I love finesse fishing and this requires really slow retrieves. When I retrieve the jig very slow the anti reverse feature causes a rub or a slow spot when I reel. It is not noticable at all when I am casting and retrieving lures or anything very fast just when I slow down. At first I just assumed that I needed to lube it up so I bought some of the Quantum Hot Sauce Reel Lube and applied it liberally. Needless to say I still have the same problem. My next step is to tear it down and find the part that is rubbing.

To sum up the problem that I have with the reel: Just not smooth enough with the anti reverse mechanism engaged (no problem when the anti-reverse is not engaged). Everything else seems to be good quality though. I especially love the smooth drag.

My next reel will still be a shimano, but I will probably step up to the symetre (sp) to try and avoid the cheap manufacturing, which I believe is caused by trying to build a reel with all of the newest features at an inexpensive price. This drastically decreases the quality. This might be avoided if you check the reel out really well before purchasing it. Some may not have this problem.

Mjigs
[signature]
If theres one thing that my recent employment has taught me, its that theres better out there for the price.

If you want one, get it, you will likley be happy.

Just realize theres a few other out there that are giving up more for the money.

I refuse to tell a guy what to buy though.
[signature]
Lets hear it [Smile]. I'm planning on picking up a new reel. Which would you recomend?
[signature]
if you buy the semytre in a 4000 series it has the fastest retrieve you can get and the drags work real well i have 2 of them and for fishing lures that need speed ya cant beat em also have 2 saharas like them 2
[signature]
Just like mustbblind, I have both the Sahara (in 4000 size) and the Symetre (in 2000 size) reels. I like them both, great drag and smooth operation overall. I had to take apart the Sahara awhile back for cleaning due to sand getting inside while shore fishing at Red Fleet. I fished through a good wind storm and didn't think about covering it up while the sand around was getting kicked up. I got it working again but not as good as it was when I bought it. Overall, I'm pretty happy with these reels, just don't let sand get into them and practice regular maintenance and these reels will last for a long time.

kastmaster

P.S. BTW, I bought these reels at closeout prices from Fred Meyer (Sahara 4000) and Wal-mart (Symetre 2000), both at 50% or more off. Couldn't pass off the great prices.
[signature]
maraboujigs
I know what you are talking about with the sahara i ordered one in at work when i worked in a sporting goods store and it acted just as you said. I thought the thing was broke. I ordered my reel before i say your post, i hope shimano has improved there sahara if not i will be sending it back.
Got the new sahara today and it works great no dead spot in it smooth and hook set is fast. Glad i got it.
[signature]