Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hawkeye FF3300P

Hey the TubeFamily,

Just checked out the cuda 128 and 168 fish finder and I am truly impressed. 800 Watts, wide angle transducer, scan to 600 feet, etc.

On another subject, has anyone here played with the Hawkeye FF3300P fish finder? It looks like it might be a great back packers unit using AA batteries, small, etc.

Budget minded with a price way, way under a hundred.

JapanRon
[signature]
[Image: portable-fish-finder-p.jpg]

[#0000ff]Hey, JR, is this the beast? Not familiar with it at all. It is supposed to run up to 20 hours on 4 AA batteries. I would be suspect of the power and output with that kind of juice. Still, as you suggest, it could be a good lightweight system for pack in. Here is some more info on it...and it's suggested retail is about $90[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
• Depth, Fish, and Bottom Structure Readings from 3 to 120 Feet (1 to 36 Meters)
• Algorithmic Programming Reduces False Readings
• Instant Depth Updates to the Nearest Foot or Meter, Updated 4 Times Per Second
• Fish Size Identifier, Depth Scale, and 2-Stage Audible Fish Alarm
• Automatic Bottom Composition Detection
• Adjustable Hi and Low Sensitivity Settings
• 2 Bottom EasyTouch Programming with Quick Access Guide
• Water Resistant Design
• Pivoting VirtuView LCD Icon Display
• SoftGlow Backlit Display - Low Intensity, Low Temperature Lighting Prevents Eye Strain and Condensation While Providing Unparalleled Nighttime Viewing
• Removable Belt Clip, Storage Bag, and Adjustable Neck Strap
• Unique Floating Sonar Sensor with 35 Feet (10.7 Meters) of Cable
• Battery Save Mode and AUto Power Off Increases Battery Life
• ShootThru Technology Allows Readings to be Obtained Through Boat/Kayak/Canoe Hulls and Ice
• Power by 4 'AA' Batteries
• Two-Year Warranty
[signature]
600 feet sounds pretty good. Just right for most lakes and some minor offshore fishing. I would suspect that some of our UT buddies would like something in future that could see some of the unexplored depths of Bear Lake.

That lake is glacier made and has some areas that the depth couldn't be determined.
[signature]
[url "javascript: addTag('cool')"][cool][/url][#0000ff]No, Bear Lake is pretty well charted, and is not that deep. Lake Tahoe, in California and Nevada, is one where the depth goes down there.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There aren't many deep freshwater lakes where there is worthwhile fishing in real deep water. Lakes tend to stratify in terms of temperature, oxygen levels and pH. The water quality at extreme depths in some lakes is not accomodating to healthy fish life.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]So, again, for tube fishing, I care not so much how deep my sonar will look as how well it displays what is in the relatively shallow depths I fish most often from my donut dinghy.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I must have been having one of my blonde moments.[url "javascript: addTag('crazy')"][crazy][/url]
[signature]
[url "javascript: addTag('cool')"][cool][/url][#0000ff]Yeah, well my "blonde" comes with age, if not experience. At least I think it does. I don't remember.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[size 1][#0000ff]"Lakes tend to stratify in terms of temperature, oxygen levels and pH. The water quality at extreme depths in some lakes is not accomodating to healthy fish life[/#0000ff]"[/size]

Translation: Them there fishies can't breath that deep and tend to turn to frozen fish sticks down in there.[url "javascript: addTag(':/')"][unsure][/url]
[signature]
[url "javascript: addTag('cool')"][cool][/url][#0000ff]Hey Hustleman, thanks for the TubeDude to English translation. Gotta admit I sometimes get a mite verbose.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]An even simpler statement would be "Ya cain't ketch 'em where they ain't." That applies to all areas of a lake...shallow to deep. If the food ain't there, or the water conditions ain't to the fishes' liking, they will go somewhere else.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]It is amazing, though, how inhospitable it can become in the deep zones of some lakes. With no currents to stir the depths, and with the accumulated pollutants of decay (from stuff that sinks to the bottom), the lower layers of water in some deep lakes is actually toxic to fish. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]So, even depth-loving species like macks are not always in the deepest spots in a lake. Successful macksters use sonar and experience to figure out what depths they can be found on any given day and then work only the ideal zones. Rookies fish the deepest spots and wonder why the fish ain't bitin'.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Not sure about trout but I know that Bass will be above the Thermocline since below it the oxogen isn't sufficient. I read a good tactic is to determine the Thermocline depth then search out structure that is just above it to find Bass.
[signature]
[url "javascript: addTag('cool')"][cool][/url][#0000ff]As a rule, largemouths are not nearly as subject to the thermocline situation as trout and kokanee. They are comfortable in warmer water and are likely to hang out in depths well above the thermocline. But, they do have their comfort zones, and will tend to remain at the level where the temps are most to their liking. Typically that will be somewhere between 65 and 75 degrees, although they will forage in water both above and below that range, if that is where the groceries be.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The concept is the same. If you can find suspended bass, at a certain level, finding shoreline structure at the same depth is a good place to start working on a pattern.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]That same technique is used by savvy crappie fishermen too. In most cases, when you find crappies suspended over open water, they will not be actively feeding. But, if you note the depth, you can move toward shore and find some treetops at the same depth with crappies on them, and you will often find feeding fish.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]All of this goes back to the reasons we buy sonars. Even if it does not work to get the fish to open their mouths, it still lets us know where they are hanging out, and at what depth. After that, it is up to us to work out the details. Finding fish is only part of the equation.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
i had a hawkeye giving to me used it once icefishing and passed it to another didn't like it or its display

also it showed fish top to bottom where a top of the line vexlar flasher showed no fish felt i could not trust it to show what was really there
[signature]
As you probably seen at the Tube-a-do last weekend I've went with Bottom Line's tourny 4100. I really like it. 2000 peak to peak for good seperation of bottom hugers and the bottom. I really like its grey scale too. It did very well for me while at the Gorge the last time I bobbed about. I think its a great all around finder and cant wait to get it on the hard deck..
[signature]
That sounds like my next upgrade. I have the Bottom line Tourny 1100. It has plenty of features but I would like to read the serial numbers on the lures that are stuck to the bottom of the lakes.
[signature]
[url "javascript: addTag('cool')"][cool][/url][#0000ff]You need to acquire an Aqua View underwater camera. Not only can you read the serial numbers on the lures, you can see the fish giving you the "Hawaiian Good Luck Sign" with their upraised pectoral fins.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Yeah its seems to be good stuff T2, altho', your pop has a good point,lol!
[signature]
I'm sure you guys "know what I mean". It sounds like the model that you have provides surpassing quality. The model I have is a cheapo but still gives me the water temp, depth and structure. That's about all I really need it for.
[signature]