Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Elk Medallions with Roasted Shallots
This recipe works well with either elk or venison. If you are caught without any game but are still tempted to try this recipe, I recommend a thick rib eye steak as a substitution.
This recipe is quick and simple. The trick to making a simple dish extraordinary is to use extraordinary ingredients. I use Corfino, (a perfect extra virgin olive oil for game cooking) fragrant balsamic vinegar, and the freshest herbs and shallots available. Of course, fresh ground pepper always makes a difference when seasoning your meat. Enjoy!

Serves 2
4 4-6 ounces elk medallions
1 cup extra virgin olive oil (or enough to submerge shallots in a small sauce pan)
4 shallots, peeled and quartered
1 cup balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon, finely chopped Italian flat-leaf parsley
fresh ground pepper and salt, season to taste

Rub elk medallions with 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil. Season elk with salt and pepper and set aside. Fire up grill.
Place shallots in a small sauce pan and add enough extra virgin olive oil to cover the shallots. Bring to a light simmer and cook until tender and golden brown. Remove from heat and keep warm.
Pour vinegar into another small sauce pan and heat over med-high heat. When vinegar comes to a light simmer, pay close attention and remove from heat as soon as it is reduced about by 1/2. Reserve.
Place elk medallions on the grill when it is nice and hot. Grill meat until it is just about medium rare. Over cooking the meat will cause it to become dry and tough. Keeping the meat under medium, in my opinion, is an important part of this recipe. Remove when they have reached desired temperature.
Place medallions on a plate and top with shallots. Drizzle over small droplets of the vinegar and garnish by sprinkling with chopped parsley.
Every bite will be contrasting, interesting, and delicious!!
[signature]