Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lake Mead Report
Started fishing with a friend at 4:30am at Hemingway point. Right at first light he caught a little 6 incher and then missed a hit. That was it for the day. We casted and we trolled some. Fished both Hemingway and Horsepower cove. Neither of us had another bite all day. We were off the water by 9am as it was muggy and getting hotter. We saw varied topwater action by individual fish all day long and a couple of times 2 or 3 fish would hit the top together, but no boils. We also saw some shad skipping near the shoreline at horsepower cove once, but never determined what was chasing them.

I was having a log of engine problems today and I easily spent half my time tinkering with my 5hp Gamefisher trying to get it to play nice. I learned quite a bit and am satisfied with the trip, but I'm not going to go back to Lake Mead until I have that gamefisher outboard running perfectly of buy a new one. I posted on the fishing boat board for help and I'm gonna try'n get the motor right, but I really don't think it's worth the cost of a mechanic to fix the motor.

Have a nice day all!

Mark
[signature]
sorry to hear about the engine, thanks for the report, sorry you didnt get into any schools o' striper

[url "javascript: addTag(':/')"][unsure][/url]

sm
[signature]
Why don't you take out the 12 ft. Sears boat. It has running 15hp Gamefisher and trolling motor, sonar unit. I even have a battery you can use since I had to replace batteries in the Skeeter recently. You would need a paddle to be legal. Fits in the back of a pickup. You could easily fish in Vegas Wash - launch at old Las Vegas Wash launch Ramp area or from Pumphouse Cove to fish that side. Or for Heminway - launch from there. that way no long run in case the wind comes up.
No obligation to buy unless you wreck something. Gonna be hard to fix the 5 hp Gamefisher -parts still available - you're right - might not be worth it. Let me know soon - be around tonight and tomorrow as I finish changing out livewell hoses.
[signature]
That is a most generous offer reellittlephish, but I'd really like to get my rig running right. The funny thing is, we have exactly the same set up Smile. I have a 12ft Sea King, with a troller mounted on the front and a nice fish finder. The Gamefisher 5hp I have is basically brand spanking new. It had under 5hrs on it when a buddy gave it to me, it had just sat around for years unused. I recently took the bowl off to clean out the carb and float and the thing is immaculate... no wear and tear at all and the gaskets look brand new. At this point it's time to take the carb off and take the entire thing apart.... I'm feeling like something is clogging a jet or something... If I cannot get it fixed by myself, then I'm probably gonna order the Briggs and Stratton Four Stroke 5hp they make. Looks to be a pretty good deal at around $700.00 and it's warrantied. The gas savings alone will eventually pay for it. I wish they made a 10hp though as that would be the perfect size for my little rig.

If I was to borrow your rig and something happened, it would really bother me. Nothing personal, and I'd pay, but it'd still bother me. I wouldn't mind heading out with you sometime on that skeeter however if you have the room. I could definately use a bit of education on catching Mead's stripers. I can tear most of the trout lakes up I fish, but this is a whole new ball game for me.

I haul my boat around in the back of my truck, so thanks for the tips on where to launch. I also have a single man inflatable pontoon that I use alot when trout fishing. It has a motor mount and get's me around nicely with the electric when I'm fishing alone. I can leave it locked in the truck and get out after work on it once I learn what I'm doing, where to go, etc...

It'll probably be a week or so before I get to hit the water again however. All that cranking on the outboard really gave my bad back a workout I didn't need and I can barely move at the moment.

Thanks again for the offer,
Mark
[signature]
[size 2] [font "Comic sans ms"] Hey Telbone sorry to hear you're having engine problems again. One question I have about your engine, was it ever in the north? I had an engine I picked up from Idaho and the carburator jets were too large. That was some 15 years ago so I don't really remember the sizes. I do remember that after I put smaller jets in the carburators the engine smoothed out and ran like a champ, well at least until the fire (that's a whole other story). Also, I ended up with a fuel/oil mix of 52:1. That's about my 2 cents, hope it helps.
[size 2] [font "Comic sans ms"] David
[signature]
OK, no problem. I take my Gamefisher to Bob Bradley Marine (702-384-1070). Victor or Bob have been real good to me and got the Gamefisher starting in 1 or 2 pulls all the time. Carb jets might be easy to get. If you decided to go that way ask them how long to do the repairs - they get busy.
Saw 4 stroke Mercury Outboards at West Marine yesterday - wow they are expensive! over $1000. Guess I'm just not up to date to small motor prices. 4 strokes and EFI's seem to be where we boaters need to be going. Trouble is for me those 4 strokes are heavy! EFI is nice but as someone else said on another forum all I need is $5000 and my old 115 in exchange. Smile

Several lakes in CA won't even let you launch unless the big motor meets certain specs for pollution.

I'm changing out livewell hoses today, replacing 2 bad lid hinges and resealing my drainplug - so no fishing for couple days.
[signature]
Thanks for the reply guys...

David, the guy I got the engine from purchased it from Sears right here in Vegas, so I don't believe that is the problem, though you never know.

I'm no outboard mechanic, but I've worked on plenty of other stuff. I've downloaded the parts breakdown of my engine and there's nothing really all that complicated in it. Once I can move normally again I"m gonna take the whole carb off and give it a thourough cleaning... I just took the bowl off last time to unstick the float. I detailed it pretty thouroughly on the boat forum, but at times that baby really purrs well. If I can get this problem straight, I'm sure it'll run like a champ. It ran at a slow trolling speed for over an hour at one point, the biggest problem is trying to open it up.

reelllittlephish is correct on the weight of the 4 strokes, but that Briggs and Stratton weights in at only 53lbs... less'n 10lbs heavier than the gamefisher I have now. I just don't want to spend the money when I have a perfectly good motor(I believe) if I get it straight.

I also contacted Sears about a manual... it's listed on their parts site, but they may not have one. If not I'll have to watch Ebay like a hawk and hope I get lucky.

I really appreciate the input (and sympathy Smile ) guys. At this point I'm just hoping to get my back moving again as yesterday was pretty tough on it.

I"m gonna give Bob Bradley a call as well. If he thinks he can do the work for under $150.00 then I may just let him try'n fix it. Any more than that and I"ll probably just go for a new motor. I don't know why, but I'm pretty attatched my little rig, including the gamefisher. I also have an old landscaping trailer that was given to me that a friend is gonna convert into a boat trailer for it. The only things I really paid any money for is the fish finder, battery, electric motor and safety gear, all of which I got on sale. I think I like it so much, because I peiced it together.

Any way it goes I'll let you fellows know how it works out...

Thanks again for the posts,
Mark
[signature]
I called Bob Bradley after the last post and was told they no longer work on Gamefisher motors... the technician said parts were no longer available for it... so I guess if that cleaning doesn't work, I'm out of luck...

Mark
[signature]