Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fishcat 4 questions
I am going to buy the Fishcat 4 and was wondering if I should get the carrying straps that [url "http://www.riverwire.com/"]www.riverwire.com[/url] sells or are there better ones that can be purchased from a camping store. Also, do Plano 3600 boxes fit in the pockets or does one need a smaller size. Thanks for any help.
[signature]
It may be easier to get the straps that they sell and make it easier on yourself. If you are the crafty type of person, you can get that material at most of your sporting goods stores and make your own that will fit your exact needs.

Do you have any dimensions on the 3600 box??? The pockets themselves will handle a box that is 8" wide x 5" deep by 12" long.

Let me know if you need anymore information. I have a fishcat 4 and really enjoy it over many of the U boats.
[signature]
The Plano 3600 is 11"x7 1/4 "x1 3/4". The 3500 is smaller at
9 1/8"x 5"x1 1/4". I have some 3600's and I ordered some 3500's just in case. I love the Plano boxes, they're all over the house. If I don't need one that I have ordered my son will use them for Lego or my daughter for Barbie stuff. Cabela's and Bass Pro Shops make their own utility box but I think that the Plano are better quality. I might get the straps from Outcast, I did a little searching around on the web and one can put together a nice comfortable strap for a similar price so I'll see how industrious I want to be. My first project is Tubedude's rod holder. Thanks.
[signature]
You are most welcome. If you have any further needs, don't hesitate to ask. We are all here to help each other.

If you look through some of the archives, you will see many different designs for the rodholders. I have used TubeDudes designs as well. He is one smart cookie (donut).
[signature]
[url "javascript: addTag('cool')"][cool][/url][#0000ff]Hey New York Boy, that is a key issue when you are gearing up. You gotta have pockets on your craft that will hold the kind of lure boxes you use for the kinda fishing you will be doing most. That's a bunch of words, but the large pockets on the Outcast series of tubes is one of the big positives in my book. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I had been using a Kennebec, by Trout Unlimited. It was a great craft, with comfy seating and lots of floatation. The big issue I had was that the pockets were all small. There was plenty of pocket space, but the big pocket areas were divided up into a bunch of smaller pockets, like a fly flinger would use to store small fly boxes, leaders, extra reel spools, etc. If you wanted to pack some large crankbaits or spinnerbaits, you had to use small soft-side lure carriers or individual small lure boxes. Not my preferred way to hit the water and too confusing.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I will assure you that the FC4 will easily hold more big boxes than you really want to carry down to the water. I sometimes get carried away and load up every conceivable lure I might need for a week of fishing...for a three hour trip. That adds to the weight, but we fishing types can never take too much stuff. Right[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I had actually ordered one of the TU tubes but I saw that the size of the pockets was very important so I quickly cancelled the TU tube order and ordered the FC4. I am looking forward to receiving it in the next few days and getting out on the water.

While I was born in NYC and live in NYC my formative years were in northern NJ's suburban sprawl so my heart is torn between NJ and NY (and it doesn't help that I am a Bruce Springsteen fanatic).
[signature]