Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
bladder question
I have an older pontoon that used large truck/small tractor tires vulcanized at either end for bladders. I was puttering around the garage after work last night and to my horror I looked up and one side of my toon was completely flat. I immediately decreased the pressure on the other toon, just incase the recent heat here got to the one side.

I pulled the bladder out and found the hole. I inspected the cover for any thorns, etc., and nothing. I did notice that there were no flaps of the shell to cover the zipper. I've seen some interesting patterns on the bladder that look alot like zipper marks from where the two meet. Also, when inflated fully, I saw some small cracks in the bladder as well.

So here are my questions, how can I prevent further decay of the bladders in my toon? How do you know when it is time to retire a bladder?

thanks,

nate
[signature]
Hey there EmuScud, Using the same idea from TubeDude, I would also recommend a strip of Nagahyde in the area where your zipper meets the bladder. That will help prevent the zipper from embedding into the bladder itself and therefore extend the life and usefullness of your craft.

It is also recommended that you don't store your craft fully inflated. There needs to be enough room for expansion and contraction. I have seen my own craft, after carefully leaving it half full, become fully inflated on a hot afternoon in the garage.

Your normal rubber innnertube type bladders should give you many happy years of service with very low maintenance. If and when you see any signs of cracks, unusuall bubbles or blisters, or unusual flatulence while using your tube, then it would be time to change the bladder.

The tubes themselves will handle a number of vulcanized patches without the need to change them often. You will hardly notice the effects of the patch unless you are one of those backpacking types and are fully concerned with weight. 1 little patch will not add lots of weight. 40 or so patches will feel slightly heavier.
[signature]
[url "javascript: addTag('cool')"][cool][/url][blue]Good input from T2. It is always a good move to insert a protective layer between your bladder and something potentially punctureful (like a zipper). How do you like my new word? As T2 suggests, something inexpensive, like naugahyde, will work. Some folks even cut a strip from a retired inner tube and position it strategically to absorb any rubbing against zippers.[/blue]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]On the matter of noticing cracks in the other areas of the bladder, that ain't good news. That is known as dry rot. It can happen to any rubber products over time. Heat, ozone and being stored wet or fully inflated can increase the onset and progression of rubber breakdown.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I'm a thrillseeker, but I do not think I would launch that craft again, unless you stay close enough to shore to make it in safely if it decided to "baptize" you. Sometimes they will develop only a pinhole leak at a weak point. In other cases, the whole bladder can split wide open in an instant. Not good.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I doubt you can find original equipment replacement bladders of that "patchwork" rubber design. You will probably have to try to locate a similar shape and size for another craft, and make sure that the valve location is compatible. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Good Luck[/#0000ff]
[signature]
It turned out to be a small hole in one of the "zipper scars." A very brief investigation shows that replacement bladders that MAY fit run around $40 for just one. So, $80 for new pontoon, or around 130 for fishcat4 . . .

I have tried to baby this thing as best as I could (didn't anticipate they would inflate in the heat as much as they did . . .). But it sat in someone elses garage, fully inflated, for I don't know how long.

Thanks guys for your input!
[signature]
The FC4 is really nice. We already have a few threads going on that one. You picked the perfect time to chime in on that one.[url "javascript: addTag('cool')"][cool][/url]
[signature]

Hey there EmuScud,

The first year the U-boat was out I got the distributorship for it's sales in Japan. Made a little money. At that time it used a vulcanized rubber inner-tube (I think it had a rating of 49) that had been whacked as you described. I used it for 8 years with it perched on top of my tricked out Suzuki Saumurai rain, shine, snow whatever. It finally gave up the ghost. (before the cover even!!!) It had stretch marks like a ...... whoa.... better watch it!

In not two much time others copied the design using tubes that were fabricated in at least two different ways... 1) adhesives or 2) thermal sealing. The adhesive sealing method is inferior.

I'd not invest further unless the skin, cover, shell is of a configuration that you find just to your liking.

JapanRon
[signature]
Thanks everyone for the input! I just need to figure out what in the world I'm going to do with the frame, etc. if I change systems.

The main water I fish is shallow, 6 inches to 7' deep so the pontoon is really nice. How shallow can a guy go in the Fatcats?
[signature]
[url "javascript: addTag('cool')"][cool][/url][#0000ff]The Outcast craft are probably some of the higher riding "tube" craft. You sit just about at the water line, rather than waist deep, as with conventional round tubes. So, only your legs, below the knee, are in the water. This makes it possible to operate in some pretty skinny water. However, there is no comparison to the higher seating and shallow draft of a pontoon.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you decide that you are unwilling or unable to do anything with the pontoon, why not advertise it as a "fixer upper"? You should be able to find someone with fix-it talent and a vision to the potential, who will invest a few dollars to take it off your hands and out of your garage. As long as you provide "full disclosure", there should be no misunderstandings or hard feelings if the buyer gives up on getting it water-worthy again.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I am planning to acquire a Fish Cat Cougar when I get up there. That is an 8 foot pontoon, with a low profile and 4 air chambers. It is supposed to have a shallow draft and to be more wind resistant than most pontoons.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I've seen those toons as well. I like the idea of four bladders for saftey reasons as well. I think I've decided to fix it up myself as almost all of my tubing will be on Utah Lake in the forseeable future. The toons are bulky and difficult to transport. But the mrs. has given me permission to transport the toon in her minivan. Both rear seats fold down, put a water proof drop cloth on them, and I'm good to go.

Thanks again to everyone who has pitched in on the subject. Gotta love this board!
[signature]