Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
deer sighting
my dad was out in the tractor spraying, and we put a salt block and deer feed out in a clearing spot by a bunch of trees a couple weeks ago, my dad just called and told me he saw a doe out by our feed! So i know theres got to be a buck out there.
[signature]
Not nesessarilly, Does are quite different to bucks. The bucks you see feeding along side of a doe in the summer may live 2 miles away in Sept. or Oct.
The Pre-rut is the best time to find the buck your after. Start looking for rubs on trees about the first of Sept.The best place to find one is usually near a good food source.Oak trees,corn fields,grain fields or best of all a new growth green field,alfalfa,clover,winter wheat or barley.
Once you find a rub look for others nearby that go back into the woods. Follow these back into the woods a ways and sometimes you can find out which direction the buck will be coming from. Not always though. Congratulations on the sighting though. That definately means there is deer in the area.
[signature]
lakelurker is right , i've been hunting them for years .
now some other tips that will help you to track there runways .
deer like traviling boarders , like the woodline that boarders a feild , a ditch that runs along a road , the edge or banks of a stream , stuff like that .
if there is a road that has woods along it's side , go in about 20 feet or so and you will find a path that runs paralle to the road , most likley the deer made that path .
now the best kept secret to baging a deer . keep still and quiet .
forget the fancy gadgets and gismoes that you see on t.v. , the only buck those things will bag is the buck in your wallet .

i've gone hunting with my bow strait from work , sweat , oil and just grungy and got my deer . sure going out clean is a lot better but i have a few years of experiance and know how and where to be . i crush up ferns and rub them on my clothes , it covers up scent better than any store bought stuff .

if you look in some of the old postins on this board you will see some of my deer from the last couple years and you will learn some of the stuff i did to get them .
you will see some doe's too . some guys hunt bucks only , thats o.k. with me , i hunt to put meat on the table . does taste better to me , but , i do have my share of racks on the wall too .
i'm glad your excited about the upcoming hunting season . i'm pretty excited about it too . i hope you guy's get a really big buck on opening day .
[signature]
you couldnt have said that any better.

I too would go directly in to the woods wearing my shop clothes because I only had an hour of hunting light at the end of every day. and yes, I would be bow hunting.... You will be absolutly amaized how close to you they come

what is most important is to not wear your streed clothes, the deer have learned the smell of fabric softener and will avoid it or colones of sented deoderants. they have learned to associat humans with these sents all summer long.
[signature]
well i guess it's that time of year for the velvit to fly .
a couple of the guys at work said the "travel patterns " have changed this week , and that the runs are getting more travel .
travel patterns are when they switch from traviling north to south to east and west .
the runs are the pathways they start to use more often as the bucks start to get the hormonal change that brings on the antler rubs and the begining of teritory challenges to follow first it's play , then it gets serious .
yea , it won't be long now . you can really tell when it's close when the "clown " whips out the ice gear and starts to polish it up , lol !!!!!
[signature]