Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Millstone river, New jersey 7/21
I WENT DOWN TO THE MILLSTONE RIVER TODAY. I WENT DOWN THERE WITH CHICKEN LIVER AND I WENT FOR CATFISH. I COUGHT 5 CHANNEL CATS AND ABOUT 2 OR 3 BULLHEADS. 2 OF THE CATFISH WERE ANYWHERE FROM 2 TO 3 LBS. THEY PUT UP A BIG FIGHT BUT IT WAS FUN.!!
TIGHT LINES

TIM
[signature]
I took some liver to the st clair river in michigan last week, the goby ait it up.

do you have problems with the goby out your way?
[signature]
ive never seen one let alone know what one is
[signature]
I have some pictures of one I caught up in port huron. I will post them here when I get the pic's transfered over, chances if you dont know what one is you would not reconize it if you did come across one.

a lot of the locals who lived there did not know what one was when they saw it.
[signature]
there is NO goby in NJ

we got small cats pesky ones we have to fish thru to get the BIG ones
[signature]
sorry, I forgot all about putting a picture of a goby here,
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=26673;]
[signature]
I find that hard to beleive when the detroit river is full of them and lake errie gets dumped in to by the detroit river. [crazy]

fishing for cat fish you may never even know you are fishing in the mist of goby. biggest one I ever caught was 8 inches. they avrage around 3 inches.

they aint nothin more than bait stealers. if you are fishing with worms and found your hook getting cleaned regular you probably have goby or crawdads. with those big hooks used for cats you would be pretty lucky to snag a goby.
[signature]
I am talking about New jersey.

there is no goby (as in the picture) where I fish , as I have caught many in other states. I use bait traps and and never caught any.
I also baitfish for 'Baitfish" and have not seen any here ,
I have problems with turtles stealing bait ! Haha
any way I am going to ask NJ fish and Game if there is any here - maybe I just do not catch or see any--thanks !
PS : nice color of your Hair in the PIC!!!

FISHON!
[signature]
Hey I was born and raised in New Jersey and I saw fish that looked like that. They were in marsh areas where we used to trap killies around the meadowlands area. I don't know if they were goby or mud skipper but they looked like that but more of a brown color. Now I have to research this with my buddies who still live there. I can't wait to hear the names they will start calling me when I ask about the goby bite.[shocked]

Man the clown makes me think too hard[Tongue]
[signature]
there is another type of goby that is darker in color, brownish. and its mouth runs downward kind of like a sucker...

goby got here from the shipping industry. and 25 years ago we never heard of goby and now we cant hardly drop a line in the water with out having the bait on our hooks nipped at.
[signature]
I have to admit I am not all that fimilar with the geogriphy on NJ, if goby do exist there they would have been introduced in to shipping waters from international freight ships dumping thier balast in your fresh water rivers.

we had a couple governers in michigan that allowed these ships to dump their balast in our great lakes and now our great lakes, rivers, and inland lakes and streems are lousy with goby and zebra musles, and now whe have them other carp trying to get up the mississippi river in to lake michigan... if they make it, they will destroy our salmon industry, both for anglers and comercial fisherman.....

thanks on the due, I was having a good hair day.[cool]
[signature]
Dave

The area I'm talking about is about 20 miles from one of the largest shipping ports in the North East. I believe the marshes may be brackish in some areas but I know there were plenty of big carp around the streams near the marsh. Based on what you say I would be willing to bet those little buggers were goby. Thanks for the trivia.
[signature]
I havent seen the gobies in any of the rivers but i have seen them where i trap killies in Redbank. I havent seen alot of them just a few. Its hard to believe that i never seen them before about 2 years ago. either i havent seen them or just havent been paying attention. I could be i aint paying attention enough considering that i fish for snapper blues there too.. or crabs...
[signature]