Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
broken rod, what should I do?
I recently bought a fenwick spinning rod, and I was at a friends house, and it got slammed in a door! about 5 or 6 inches came off, and its a pretty clean break, and I was wondering what the best way to fix it would be, and how much it would cost. thanks.<br><br>At the mention of my name.....Fish TREMBLE
if the tip is what has broken off you cant put it back to gether but you can put a new tip at the end of it for under $5 at any bait and tackle store.<br><br><br><br><A HREF="http://myweb.ecomplanet.com/MESS6438/" target="_new">http://myweb.ecomplanet.com/MESS6438/</A> <br>For Kids Sake <br>Recycle your old Equipment<br>Dave
What kind of rod was it? If it was an hmx or and hmg it has either a five year or lifetime warranty on it. Now, I dont know if the warranty covers abuse such as that or if it is just manufacturing defects. But it may be worth looking into. Other than that, if you broke off that much, my advice is toss it. The rod will have strength and sensitvity and action problems if you ask me. Maybee you dont fish enough that it would bother you but I would have to through it to the scrap bin.<br><br>UNICORN CATCHER F.L.P.
If the rod is at least 6 months new, I'd take it back to where I purchased it and explain that it was a casting error. Fenwick is a quality rod manufacturer and the dealer will most likely replace it or offer a credit. Fenwick has always done me very well in the past when I've had a mishap with a rod. The other option is as dave said to put a new tip on it. Depending on the blank and sesitivity you had it may change the intended use of you rod from a finess rod to maybe a crankbait, spinnerbait, or flippin stick, or maybe it had enough sensitivity that you can live with the action the rod has left. Try returning it. What have you got to loose.<br><br>Happy Hookin<br>Gamaktsu &lt;*(((&gt;{<br>
Cole:<br>I think your going to have problems trying to put the piece back on. If you do, that area will be a weak spot and may break when reeling in a fish.<br>If the warrenty won't replace it you could try to make the pole 5" - 6" shorter. The eyes will be off, so you may need to shift them down. Maybe a tackle shop can do that for you.<br>good luck. <br><br>
Most custom rods will be backed with a warranty. If not, get the blank #'s and buy a new top half, It will cost considerably but if you really like the rod its worth it. Maybe the custom maker can make you a deal. Most will to prevent bad word of mouth.<br><br>Happy Hookin<br>Gamaktsu &lt;*(((&gt;{<br>
The board stikes a home run again!!!![Smile]<br><br>Texas Gulf Coast Fisher &lt;*(())))))))))&gt;{<br><A HREF="http://myweb.ecomplanet.com/ROSS6959/" target="_new">http://myweb.ecomplanet.com/ROSS6959/</A>
I'm glad you got your problem solved. A free exchange can't be beat.<br><br>In the event you, or anyone else snaps their rod, there is a way to repair, at least there was with glass rods. I haven't tried it on graphite which are more brittle and might not work.<br><br>I once snapped a one-piece Phillipson ultra light spinning rod in two. I was fishing in my '48 Mercury convertible hot rod, and put the driver's seat back back with the rod laying between the passenger and driver's seat backs.<br><br>Recalling a hint from some reading I had done, I purchased a metal ferrule whose female part snuggly took the broken ends. I filled the ferrule with cement and jammed the two pieces into it. I only used the female part of the ferrule. Another option would have been to use both parts and turn it into a two-piece rod, but it was only a five footer and I didn't see great benefit in a two-and-a half foot breakdown. Using only the female part, also retains more of the original action than using the whole ferrule. Although metal ferrules may be hard to find, the latest Netcraft catalog has them.<br><br>That was about 37 years ago and the rod, although somewhat less flexible, is still usable today!!<br><br>Somewhat related, I, many years ago, purchased an emergency rod repair kit. It consisted of several, different sized, aluminum, temporary ferrules. They were aluminum tubing with tightening nuts at each end. In a broken rod emergency, you select the appropriate sized ferrule, slip the broken ends into it, and tighten the nuts.<br><br>I know these work, in emergenies, as temporary repairs on graphite rods, because I used one to repair my brother-in-law's rod a couple years ago when he broke his rod at a high mountain lake. The repair is certainly a temporary one, but when you're 30 plus miles of ruttled road from the nearest store which probably only has low-quality rod/reel combos anyway, it's a godsend.<br><br>