Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pineview Musky ... 7-27-04
[#500000][size 3]Got together with Bait_Caster and his boy TJ tonight for a little fishing at Pineview. We were targeting tigers and were not disappointed.[/size][/#500000]
[#500000][size 3][/size][/#500000]
[#500000][size 3]Launched at around 4:00 PM into 75 degree water. As we were coming down the south side of the south arm, TJ hooked into the catch of a lifetime. After one good tail dance (what a sight that was) and his reel coming right off his rod ... twice, soon he had his first tiger musky boatside. We got it in the boat and measured it at 46.5" !!! That's the biggest one I have ever seen. We took some pictures and put him back.[/size][/#500000]
[#500000][size 3]But here is where the bad news comes in … 40 minutes later and all the resuscitating the three of us could muster, belly-up is all he would do. This is the first (and hopefully the last) time I have lost a musky to catch shock. We thought for a long time he would be OK but he just seemed to get weaker and weaker till he finally gave up the ghost.[/size][/#500000]
[#500000][size 3]We took lots of measurements and then turned him into filets. I guess that by the end of the week I will know what TM tastes like.[/size][/#500000]
[#500000][size 3]No doubt, many of you will be quite judgmental and I don't fault you for that. As we went back over it all in our minds, we discussed all that we should have done differently and believe it was avoidable. Our lessons came at the expense of the life of a great majestic monster.[/size][/#500000]

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=5771;]
[signature]
Nice fish. Bummer story. No judgement here. 99% of us on the board know about these fish and the time for growth and we respect that by releasing them asap. Sometimes the best of plans fail miserably. At least the muskie will not go to waste and you were responsible and dedicated to the release of the fish unharmed- it just did not work out this time.
[signature]
That is a nice fish!Wish pineview was just a little closer to me.You have to also take in account that the weather also plays a big part in a fishes mortality . It was just his time to go.
[signature]
[font "Arial Black"][red][size 3] [red][size 2] Hi there Old Coot buddy, that Musky is huge . Sorry to hear that it didn't make it. I know how you are about catch and releaseing fish. But anyway what a great catch. We need to hook up one day .[/size][/red][/size][/red][/font]
[font "Arial Black"][#ff0000][/#ff0000][/font]
[font "Arial Black"][#ff0000] AFDan52[/#ff0000][/font]
[signature]
Wow that is a monster! Congrats
[signature]
Very nice fish, I've been wondering what they taste like for some time now, please let use know when you have your fish fry. I sure hope you don't say it taste like chicken, ha,ha. WH2
[signature]
There is nothing wrong with keeping a legal fish so don't beat yourself up too bad................Bassleg
[signature]
What a catch.......congratulations and thanks for the post.
[signature]
Wow nice fish, thanks for the report and the picture. We all know that sometimes no matter how careful you are fish don't make it, so don't beat yourself up over it.At least you tried to save him, I have seen people release fish that were belly up and just said oh well to bad.
[signature]
Real nice musky old coot...too bad to hear about the release but it is a legal swimmer and you are gonna enjoy some fine meals..be careful when you post how delicious those critters are..Im afraid there will be a lot more of those beauty's goen home for supper...[url "javascript: addTag('Wink')"][Wink][/url]

Skipper.
CARP'T
[signature]
He sure is a great fish Old_Coot. Don't feel so bad, you guys did all you could to let him go, it just wasn't his day.
[signature]
Nice! Nice! Nice!
Sometimes we forget that this is a blood sport, and they do not all survive.
[signature]
First of all,, Congrats on the catch!

Second.. Sometimes all the best laid plans of mice and men go for not. I have no doubt you guys did all you could to return the critter to the lake unharmed but sometimes it just dont work out. As its been stated, dont beat yourself up, and btw,, avoid pounding yer head against the wall too.
[signature]
Congrats on the nice musky. sorry to hear that the fish didn't make it but at least the fish isn't being wasted. hope you have better luck next time
[signature]
My theory is Keep em if your gona eat em. Realease em if your gona freeze em.

Way to go! nice fish
[signature]
nice fish ralph, tigers dont taste like chicken.
more like bald eagle[url "javascript: addTag('Wink')"][Wink][/url]
[signature]
1st way to go on a nice musky. 2nd hey it happens to most of us at sometime "by the way there not bad I had to eat my first one 2 weeks ago but it was just 42" long" so if any one want to give you gref about it send them to me and I'll put them in there right place about musky.
[signature]