Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
St. Clair River 7-26-04
Well the fishing has been slow on the river.. At least from shore, there were a few nice catches brought in....

1. A thirty-inch cat, which is a master angler entry
long nose sucker 20 inches also a master angler entry.

I went looking for sturgeon and what I ended up with was a dozen fresh water drum, (sheep head) white bass, rock bass, 17 1/4 inch long nose sucker (if and when verified will be my number 4 master angler award for 2004), walleye (almost), and about 50 of them dagberned goby. Every thing was released after a pic or two was taken. Had my heart set on sturgeon. So it was sturgeon or bust.

The river is running fast, and off one of the many boardwalks along the river I had to use 8 ounces of lead to hold my line out.

Sounds like a lot of fish, but not when you consider it was spread over about 30 hours. Don’t get me wrong, the weather was absolutely beautiful as was the scenery couldn’t think of a better place to park a lawn chair and plant my can. A host of food joints at my beckoning not to mention one ice ream shop, which I called home away from home.

Look for pic’s of my catches on the 16 species contest.
[signature]
my day after work was spent at one of the beaverton dams below ross lake looking for a tiger muskey . i might have had one fish on for a few brief seconds as it did have size and hugged the bottom but who's to say it wasen't a big catfish or something else .
after a while i switched from my big B.F.T. rod to a spincast rod and tossed out some panther martins . the p.m.'s kept getting plenty of small smallmouth bass , oh yea, one ash tree on the far bank too , it ate the lure .
rapalas didn't yeild a single fish , most of the regular guys that fish that dam use leadheads tiped with a white or yellow grub .
i did meet a father and son team and let them have a couple erie deeries to try out in the faster waters at the other dam . i'll probably see them later today when i head back .
well time to get ready to head into work , man i wish the lottery would pick my numbers so i can retire , work time keeps cutting into my fishing time and it's starting to annoy me , lol !
[signature]
I was back on the river last night, I ended up with a three inch rock bass for six hours of fishing. that dosnt mean the fish wasnt bighting, I was targeting stergeon again and realy wasnt intrested in the smaller fish.

the guys I was with did come home with channel cat, rock bass, white fish, sheephead, and long nose sucker.
[signature]