Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Smoking Fish?
Anyone have a favorite recipe for brine, cures or seasoning for smoking fish. I just got a new smoker and want to try it out on some trout.

Thanks!
[signature]
Here you go, they have an entire forum on this:

[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?forum=101"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?forum=101[/url];
[signature]
Superfine! I sure missed that page Smile Thanks!
[signature]
I see kens gave you the link already, but I will say that I use a mix of Alder/Maple wood shavings to smoke my fish with. Comes out with a great outdoors flavor, not too strong or sweet. Good luck.
[signature]

[signature]
i used to use regular sugar but i found out that if you use brown sugar instead it gives it a smoother taste.
RED
[signature]
For some reason my previous post was blank. Let's try again. I have a tried and true brine recipe for smoked fish that works great on trout and salmon. I originally found it many years ago in an outdoor magazine. I've tinkered with it a bit, particularly with a reduction in salt. Many brine recipes have way too much salt for my taste. There may be easier recipes, but this one is worth the effort. Anyway, here 'tis:

[font "Times New Roman"]SMOKED FISH[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3] [/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]4 or 5 lbs fish[/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]2qts water[/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]1/3 C non iodized salt[/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]½ C brown sugar[/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]½ tsp garlic powder[/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]½ tsp onion powder[/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]1/4 tsp white pepper[/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]1/4 tsp black pepper[/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]½ tsp celery seed[/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]½ tsp chili powder[/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]½ tsp dried dill [/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]2 Tbsp lemon juice[/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Place water and all spices in large pot and bring to a boil. Simmer for 5 minutes, then let cool. Place fish in a glass or plastic bowl and cover with the cooled brine. Cover and refrigerate for 8 to 12 hours. Remove fish from brine and rinse briefly under cold, running water. Pat dry with paper towels and place on a cookie sheet to air dry for 1 to 2 hours - until a glaze forms on the flesh. (For an extra kick, sprinkle fresh ground black pepper on fish filets during the drying process.) Place on oiled racks in an electric smoker so the pieces don’t touch. Smoke according to the smoker’s directions (about 4 to 6 hours, depending on size of fish pieces) using 2 to 3 pans of wood chips/sawdust. (Alder wood is ideal for fish!)[/size][/font]
[signature]
First thing you got to do when smoking fish is make sure you light the right end.[url "javascript: addTag('laugh')"][laugh][/url]

Afterwards, you can go to the recipe board and use any of the many recipes that are there from some of our generous members. Feel free to borrow, steal, or even plagerize any of the recipes that are there. They are for all of us to use as we see fit.

Enjoy and Bon Apetit.
[signature]