Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any experience with the Tica Libra SA Spinning reels?
Still looking for a good durable spinning reel. Am really getting tired of wearing them out in 1-2 yrs. Seems like it's always the worm gear!!!! Granted, I've been buying the inexpensive ones, so am willing to pay a little more to get one that lasts. Am looking at the 2500 series since that best suits my fishing. Yea, I know. I asked this before, but have been reading good things about this reel. Anyone have first hand experience?
If not the above, am considering going for the Pfluger President or a decent Shimano. Any recommendations on which Shimano, hopefully under $100?
Thanks in advance. Any ifo. appreciated.
[url "javascript: addTag(':/')"][unsure][/url][url "javascript: addTag('Smile')"][Smile][/url]Leaky
Hey leaky, The consumer reports have shown that the Tika reels are still faily new to the market. They are still undergoing some minor R&D work to reduce product returns due to mechanical failures.

The Pflueger has a pretty good line up and so does Shimano.

What size reel are you looking for in particular??? You might want to check out the Shimano Sahara series for any of your 4,6 or 8lb needs or the Shimano Sedona for your 8,10, 12 or 14lb needs. There is also the Shimano Symetre series which have front or rear drag models and a higher gear ratio.

These are featured from one of our sponsors. Just look for the link from Tackledirect.com on the side panels of this page. They are priced well and are very good reels.[url "http://javascript:%20addTag('cool')/"][cool][/url]
[signature]
Hi tubeN2,
As I mentioned, am looking at 2500 series(?), 6# test, on the light side but not too small. Gear ratio is not very important to me. Most important is durability. Every reel I get seems to wear out in the worm gear because of soft metal(?)!!!!!! So -----------, what do you think? Which Shimano? Thanks guy!
[url "javascript: addTag('Wink')"][Wink][/url]Leaky
For the price range that you are looking for and the durability that you would expect, I would go with the Shimano Symetre.

Here is a piceture of the 2000 series reel. It seems to be what you are looking for. You can find them at Tackledirect.com

[url "http://store1.yimg.com/I/tackle_1793_13497651"][Image: tackle_1793_13507383][/url]

[font "Arial"][font "arial"][size 2]
[font "arial"][size 2]Ever lost a fish because you had just a little too much backplay in your reel? We have. And it wasn't pretty. Perfectionists that we are, we have very little tolerance for equipment that doesn't do precisely what we want it to do. Enter Symetre. A reel equipped with Super Stopper II - a one-way roller bearing so exacting in its performance that you won't feel one millimeter of backplay on a hookset (to find out more, see the sidebar to your left). Add that to a powerful high gear ratio and you've got a highly effective combination. Good news for you. Bad news for the fish.[/size][/font]
[font "arial"][size 2]Fluidrive II[/size][/font]
[font "arial"][size 2]Shimano's new method of cutting the gears and supporting the drive train for a lighter feeling in the handle revolution and higher efficiency when winding under load.[/size][/font]

[font "arial"][size 2]Titanium Coated Power Roller[/size][/font]
[font "arial"][size 2]A ball bearing line roller coated with titanium for smooth drag perfomance[/size][/font]

[font "arial"][size 2]Dynabalance Aluminium Rotor[/size][/font]
[font "arial"][size 2]The smooth perfomance of Dynabalance and the strength of Aluminium provide a smooth, precise retrieve not found anywhere else.[/size][/font]

[font "arial"][size 2]Aluminium Body[/size][/font]
[font "arial"][size 2]The new aluminium slim body design reduces the profile and weight while increasing the strength of the three front drag Symetres.[/size][/font]

[font "arial"][size 2]Super Stopper II[/size][/font]
[font "arial"][size 2]Shimano designed and built own one way roller bearing for no back-play and solid performance.[/size][/font]

Your closest equivelant to that in the Pflueger reels would be the Pflueger President 6730x. It actually has more bearings in it for a little less money. The Shimano has a tighter tollerance on the the drive gears for a virtually zero backlash( the common cause of gear failure)[/size][/font][/font]
[signature]
Thanks son of Dude!!!!!!!!! How's dad coming with his move?

[url "javascript: addTag('Smile')"][Smile][/url][url "javascript: addTag('Smile')"][Smile][/url][url "javascript: addTag('Smile')"][Smile][/url]Leaky
You are most welcome my friend. I believe my Dad is already up there. His stuff got shipped up there yesterday. He will be busy unpacking and getting his computer up and running.

In the mean time, he left me to watch the shop and take care of any business matters. He should be up and running pretty soon.

I just saw that Symetre reel at one of my local tackle stores for about 95 bucks. It is much cheaper on the Tackle Direct.com website. Cabelas doesn't have any Shimano but they do have the Pflueger.

Either one should give you many happy years of service. You might even decide to get a second one for Sparky.[url "javascript: addTag('laugh')"][laugh][/url]
[signature]
Cabelas has the Shimano Symetre on sale right now for 50 bucks, normally 85 bucks.I have 3 of em the 1000's, been usin em for many years and theyre great reels.
[signature]
Thanks for the heads up on Cabelas. I looked all over the place and didn't find any shimano reels. I will check again. That is a good price for the Symetre.[url "javascript: addTag('cool')"][cool][/url]
[signature]
SLAYER,
I find the Spirex for $50 but the Symetre was $79???? Am I looking in the wronng place?
Leaky
Hey,I got the flyer right in front of me-It says "Hottest sale of the summer"-Just call the toll free number and ask 'em. $49.99,1000 or 2000.
[signature]
SLAYER,
Sounds like a great deal to me!!!!!! Thanks!!!!!!
[url "javascript: addTag('Smile')"][Smile][/url][url "javascript: addTag('Smile')"][Smile][/url]Leaky
[signature]
SLAYER,
I don't know exactly what to say. I ended up calling their customeer service # looking for the $50 Symetre. All they could come up with was Item # 1AE-113887 which was a Shimano Aero Symetre for $59.99. The model is SY2000FH. Then I look further, the one I think I want is the Shimano SY2500F1 which is 79.99. Now I don't know what the difference is beyond $20 but there appears to be a difference. I'll probably have to call back. Short of copying your flyer or something, I don't know what you have there??? I'll keep pursuing if you don't mind. Anyone ut there know what the difference is between the Aero and the F1 is?
[url "javascript: addTag(':/')"][unsure][/url]Leaky