Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jigging Bear Lake
First of all, there are many good ways to approach jigging. Here's my take:<br><br>Gear: <br>1. baitcasting reels with 20 lb. fireline. You can not react fast enough to all situations using a spinning reel. There are those that will debate this. The fireline is for small diameter (less drag meaning a better vertical presentation like skeeter said) and no stretch for better feel and hook setting ability.<br><br>2. 6' med heavy or heavy graphite rods - the sensitivity of the graphite rods is better then anything else. The heavier rods provide better hook setting ability. Less bend means more energy at the hook but too stiff is very unforgiving when fighting a fish so a good compromise is needed. Besides when you hook Mr. big mack you need a rod that won't bottom out.<br><br>3. Florocarbon leader - 10# to 15#. Some folks say it's brittle, I like the knot strength and no stretch characteristics. Mono will work but not MY first choice. Attach the leader to you line with a small good quality swivel. I prefer crane swivels over barrels, why, I don't know. Do not use a swivel snap.<br><br>4. Tube jigs - 3" - 4" long. Colors white/pearl, rainbow trout, pumkinseed. Variations of greens and blues also work at times. <br><br>5. Leadheads - I like spearheads. I think they swim better than a standard tube jig weight. Depending on conditions have 1/2 oz to 1 oz at your disposal. When putting the tube on the jighead, use some scent, like smelly jelly, to lube the tube to make it easier to get on.<br><br>6. bait - For Bear Lake cisco is supreme. Sucker or carp meat will work. So will frozen anchovy but they don't stay on the hook as well. I put a small piece of bait on the hook that also acts like a trailer on the jig to help the action. Too big of a piece of bait will impede the action of your jig.<br><br>7.Nets - have as big a net as you can find. When you have a 20+ lb fish at the side of your boat you'll know what I'm talking about.<br><br>8. sonar - these are your eyes. without good sonar and the knowledge to make it work for you, you're fishing blind. You will catch more fish with good sonar.<br><br>I'll give you some techniques I use later today. I've got to go now.<br><br>