Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Colorado fishing
For those of you thinking about visiting Colorado, the fishing report is dismal, and growing worse every day. The big fires are either under control or 100% contained but more are breaking out each day. The coal train headed for Pueblo started eight in one day; they were small and put out quickly. Another started near Estes Park yesterday and burned 500 acres before being squashed by our resident aerial firefighters in record time.<br> Our streams are drying up, lakes are down anywhere from 40% to 70% and boat ramps are a memory. Water rationing hasn't started yet but isn't too far away in the future.<br> For those Colorado residents who will dispute this dire forecast, please remember that I'm talking about the Denver Metro area and everything east of I-25. Take a look at Carter Lake, it's dropping anywhere from 3-5 ft "per day", and it is a big lake. Boyd Lake is almost bone dry and Barbor Ponds only have enough water for three ponds; the pelicans are walking on the botton in the others.<br> The mountain lakes aren't doing much better. Dillion is only a shadow of its former self, Cheeseman Reservoir is closed to all human activity and many others are dropping daily.<br> Now, instead of burning, Colorado is drying up. I almost cry when I look at my favorite lakes and see the fish dead and drying in the hot sun (forecast is for 99 degrees today in Brighton). Antero Reservoir is dry. I was there several weeks ago and our resident Army Corps of Engineers, or someone of equally dense gray matter, decided to drain it for repairs. Water wasted in a year of drough.<br> I wish I could paint a better fishing picture, but I can't.<br><br>
Sorry to hear things not going so well for you there<br>The prognosis doesn’t look good there either for rain with the El’ninio pattern kicking back up again in the pacific. You might want to find some Indian friends and get together for a little rain dance.<br>(Yes I believe in them rain dances I have seen them work – take caution, the harder you stomp the louder the thunder will be)<br><br>Michigan too is going through a drought but that has not stopped the fish from stretching out them lines<br><br>Remember when out on the waters keep only what you need and release the rest<br><br><br><A HREF="http://myweb.ecomplanet.com/MESS6438/" target="_new">http://myweb.ecomplanet.com/MESS6438/</A> <br>For Kids Sake <br>Recycle your old Equipment<br>Dave
I was premature in my declaring the Big Elk fire out near Eastes Park (I should not believe everything I hear on the radio). Actually, it jumped a ridge and has spread to 1,500 acres. Yesterday (July18th) a slurry bomber crashed while fighting the fire. Cause unknown. But it is known that some low-life, scum-sucking, lower-than-whale-sh**, SOB started it. No suspects at this time.<br> I'd like to report the fishing is terrific and all are welcome but the fires and drough is occupying the thoughts if many.<br><br>
I am from Pueblo, Co and the lakes down here are getting lower each day. I quit fishing the Arkansas river for trout do to the low water level. The river warms up quickly and the fish are already stressed no point in catching them and harming them. Lake Pueblo is getting to look like a pond, with the draining of Antario Res. everbody will be heading here I have a feeling. I heard on a Denver news station this morning that Denver is considering taking 2/3 rds of the water from Chatfield Res. if this happens there will be no boating alowed on the lake. <br><br>
I heard the same thing, Spinnerhappy, about Chatfield. Apparently it's true and will happen before the summer is over.<br> After the last fishing trip with my Granddaughter, I also decided to leave the fish alone and to be stressed in private. Antero is bone dry. I was up there several weeks ago and there is just a small trickle down the middle of it and little else. The base of the dam is exposed. All my favorite spots are really low and I'm not agile enough now to romp over and down the rocks. So, my fishing gear is cleaned and stored in the shed, ready for when the rains return and fill the lakes and reservoirs again.<br> I see all this lack of water, and then I see the cities running the sprinklers early in the morning, water running down the streets. Who you gonna call? I stopped watering my lawns a month ago, and it shows, brown grass and thriving weeds that would flourish in Death Valley. Personally, I think there should be a morotorium on new construction. No new homes until the water situation improves.<br> "Conserve water, shower with a friend, or two."<br><br>
John, John, you've been doing nothing but crying about conditions and fishing in Colorado since I've been reading this board. Are you being paid by the Texas tourists' bureau? True there have been a lot of fires and water is scarce and getting more scarce, but it's not nearly as bad as you are spreading.<br><br>The reservoirs are drawing down, but what can you expect when the radical, zero population growth wing of environmentalists stop all new dam construction and people from other places like Texas keep moving in. <br><br>You can't have it al, full reservoirs, no new water holding construction, and more people. Unless we get more water holding capacity to keep our water instead of having to let it go downstream, our reservoirs will have to be our water tanks, full when we have a lot of moisture and don't need it and low or bone dry when we have little or no precipitation.<br><br>I just fished Clear Creek (a small creek just West of Denver) last week. After reading all your dire reports, I found the amount of water was amazingly good and crystal clear. The fishing was excellent. <br><br>We may run into some water problems (fishing-wise) in a month or two, but it's good to excellent now. The conditions are like most late summers, low and clear. The fly fishermen are having a ball.<br><br>Maybe you ought to think seriously of leaving this terrible state and going back to your wonderful Texas. <br><br>
glad to hear the fish are hanging in there harhar<br><br>you wont realy have to worie about water shortages in a month or two the snow will be flying by then in the upper elivations. (am I right in my assumptions?)<br><br><A HREF="http://myweb.ecomplanet.com/MESS6438/" target="_new">http://myweb.ecomplanet.com/MESS6438/</A> <br>For Kids Sake <br>Recycle your old Equipment<br>Dave
I hope the snow holds off for a while and then come down in tons this winter.<br><br>The stream fishing, frankly, is too good right now to have to do it standing in a stream in a snowstorm.<br><br>