Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
weather tips from nature
Do you remember how Granny from the beverly hillbillys could predict the weather better than the t.v. weatherman could ?
well there is more truth in that than some script writters imagination . years ago before we had all this techknowledgy people relied on reading the signs that nature provided in abundabce , you didn't have to be a colledge professor , just observant .
my personal favorite methods is to look at the mounds of dirt around an ant hole , if those little fellas are piling the dirt high , expect the rain . looking at the leaves on a tree follows as the second easiest to remember , if those leaves are bottom up , it's gonna rain .
now i have a forest full of pines in the yard , one thing about pines is that they drip watter constantly . when you see hummingbirds zipping around the branches sucking up these water droplets , well forget rain , it's gonna be dry for a bit .
a real easy way to get started in reading the signs is to look at the reeds or trees along the banks of your fishing hole , make a mental note of the weather you are experiancing during the following 24 hours . pretty soon you won't have to wait for a weather report to decide if your going fishing or not .
i can usaually predict a little bit of the weather due to some old injuries from my invinsible years as a youth . who'de a thunk being stupid could make you a bit smarter as a barometer , lol !!!
here's some other tips about reading some of natures signs i found in a book , think about them when you head out and see if they hold true for your area .

Weather changes are advertised by Mother Nature well in advance and can only come with the wind. Change will come from west to east and the only sudden weather changes will be the result of a tornado. Good weather usually comes if the wind is from the northwest, west and southwest.

If it rains in the morning and the winds are from northeast to south, and the wind starts to shift to the west, the rain will soon stop. Should the skies be cloudy and the wind shifts from southwest to southeast, or from northwest to northeast, look for a rain squall. if the sky is clear and the winds begin to shift back and forth between southeast and southwest, look for bad weather to follow with rains and/or wind squalls.

Here are some general guidelines to help you forecast the weather where you live.

*If lightning is seen in the northwest or west, be fairly certain the storm will come through the area, and you can prepare accordingly. If the lightning is in the east or south, you can reasonably expect the storm to go past unless there is a dramatic wind shift.

*If leaves on shore turn up their undersides, one may reasonably expect rain. Leaves normally grow to the prevailing wind. A change of prevailing wind direction that precedes a storm will turn them over.

*If the grass is wet in the morning or before you go to bed it is a good sign of fair weather. Dew only forms when the air is dry and the sky is clear. Watch for wind changes during the day, as weather can only change with the wind.

*If noises from afar seem hollow and loud, be prepared for rain. It is the low clouds that act as a sounding board and they also produce ram.

*If you notice that there is little bird activity, it is an indication of low-pressure. Birds will perch more because of they have difficulty flying. Look for a storm to follow.

*If birds are flying high it is a time of high pressure and good weather. Fishing could be tough, or you could catch the fish of a lifetime!

*If smoke from a chimney rises straight up you are in a high pressure with good weather. if the smoke is driven downward, you are in a low pressure and should get out the raingear.

*Even the most threatening of clouds will not rain on you if they are high in the sky. It is the low clouds that bring rain.

*If smells and odors seem exceedingly strong, expect rain. Smells that have been held down by high pressure are turned loose with a dropping barometer.

*If you face the wind, the storm will always be on your right. If that is the way you have to go to get back to camp, you will want to exercise caution and have a plan of escape in case the storm is a bad one.

*A gray sky in the morning is a forerunner of fair weather and an early morning fog will be followed by a rainless day.

*If the sun rises above a bank of clouds, be prepared for a windy day without much chance of rain. It could turn into an overcast day.

*If the sky is faint lavender with high blue above the clouds or rosy at sunrise or sunset either in the early morning or late afternoon, you may expect good weather.

*If the sky is golden amber you can expect wind but little chance of rain. if it is a pale yellow you may expect rain within 12 to 24 hours.

*If the day's clouds are small white and fluffy you can expect good weather.

*If the clouds are white, fleecy wind clouds you may expect a change in the weather.

*If the wind is north or northeast expect overcast skies but no rain within 48 hours. if the wind is southeast to southwest, it will rain within 24 to 36 hours.

*If you see dark clouds against a background of bright white sunlight at sunset you may expect rain in 24 hours.

*If there is a dull red sky at sunrise or sunset, it is fore-telling of rain within 24 hours, and it may be accompanied by strong wind.

*If it appears that the sun has a halo behind frosted glass, expect rain within 24 hours.

*The big fluffy cumulonimbus clouds that are so pretty to look at are a sure sign of pending thunderstorms and showers. If the wind switches to the west or northwest the rain will end and bring cooler weather (the dreaded cold front!).

[signature]
[font "Californian FB"][#005028][size 4][url "javascript: addTag('cool')"][cool][/url]Good weather information there lonehunter. How about long term forcasting. Like the caterpillers being extra fuzzy means that it is going to be a cold winter. Was going to try and remember all the information that you posted then realized that in SOCAL we can go 8 to 10 months without rain. So why bother. Thanks anyhow.[/size][/#005028][/font]
[signature]
for the long range forcast i can only go by the fish were catching around here . the king salmon are running in the rivers up my way a month before they should be , the rest of the salmon species are a lot closer to the great lakes shoreline than normal too . i'm predicting an hard winter this year , of corse scraping frost off the windsheild the first week of july might have played a major part in my conclusion .
i haven't seen a catipilar this year , no tree frogs or crickets either . come to think about it the lawnmower hasen't been getting it's regular workout either , not that the lawn has been neglected .
beach bunnys , now where are they all at ????????
i haven't seen many at all , i sure like the hot summers .
there sure are a lot of unused carts lined up at the golf course down the road .
yep , winters coming early this year .
i realy do miss seeing those beach bunnys thou .
[signature]
Every beach bunny I've seen around here has had a beach buddy. So it's pretty much a no go on my part. Of course, my girlfriend wouldn't like it much anyway. :p

Thanks for the weather report Alan! I'm hopin' for a long winter so I can get out on the ice and fish the deep holes that I otherwise can't reach. Plus, it'll give me a chance to test out the 4-wheel-drive-on- the-fly in my recent acquisition.

Of course, summer just now got here. Last week we had lows in the 40's and highs in the low/mid 70's. This week we're gonna be 80's and possibly hit 90. Around here, it gets hot, it gets humid. It's 84° right now, and it's almost 7pm. It's gonna be an on and off summer though. And we could definitely use that rain!
[signature]
we got the same stuff here , cept the beach bunnys .
[signature]
going by the animals here is south east michigan

Well if you go by the geese fall will be here next week. the geese have been forming their migration patterns.

if you go by the ducks winter wont be here untill febuary, last week I saw freshly hatched mallard ducks.

if you go by the clowns, you had better stock up on your provisions and split all the fire wood you can get your hands on. cause the clowns are realy chowing down on the tWinkes....
[signature]