Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry report (7-31-04)
Fished Strawberry with HA69 from 5:30am-9:30pm. The early morning fishing was good for me catching 7 in the first couple hours then only catching about 3 or 4 more before noon and that was it for the day. HA69 spread his catch out all day. We both caught 10 or 12 fish for the day, it was the slowest day fishing at strawberry I have experienced in the last 3 years. The wind blew really hard from 12:00-6:00 so we relocated to the narrows, neither of us knew much about that area so it was hard to get into any fish. HA69 did manage to catch a couple rainbows, that makes 3 rainbows for him in our last two trips to strawberry.

I posted a few pics,one of HA69 rainbow and a couple cutts that I caught on Nomooses crawdad jiggs. Those jiggs worked great the first half of the day. After that it did'nt matter what I used I just could'nt hook up.
[signature]
[font "Arial Black"][red] Those are some great pixs Mike, you're getting to be quite the Photographer, (hint hint). Looks like a fun day.[/red][/font]
[font "Arial Black"][#ff0000] [/#ff0000][/font]
[font "Arial Black"][#ff0000] AFDan52[/#ff0000][/font]
[signature]
Thanks Dan. Sorry about the Muskie picture. I charged my batteries the night before and forgot to put some in the camera.
[signature]
I told you we should of tried pop gear and worm and we would of hooked fish all day . LOL Most of my fish were caught on jigs and the rainbow went for the needlefish jigged with carp meat sweetner .Who would of thought that would of worked for Bows . Never tried any Powerbait either , so don't know if it would of worked any better . Still nice day on the water even if it was windy and smokey from the fire .
[signature]
[font "Arial Black"][red][size 3] [red][size 2] Not a problem Mike there will be other times. I still had a great time and I had witnesses anyway.[/size][/red][/size][/red][/font]
[font "Arial Black"][#ff0000] AFDan52[/#ff0000][/font]
[signature]
Next time that wind blows you might consider trying drift trolling. Just head to the shore where the wind is blowing from, kill the outboards and let the wind blow you from one side of the reservoir to the other. It is surprising how many fish one will catch in the middle of Strawberry fishing this way. It is also extremely peaceful out there with no outboard and just the rocking of the boat.
[signature]
Kent, where you out in the middle of strawberry in the afternoon hours? I went from the chicken creek area to the narrows. Those waves where huge many times they where just about to come over the bow. Many times we got showered by the waves when they hit my boat. I seen a boat beached and they had 5 gallon buckets bailing the water out of there boat. Drift fishing can be good but the conditions yesterday where dangerous.
[signature]
Yep, we were out in the middle of Strawberry in the worst of it. Having a closed bow and a little higher boat is a blessing in those conditions. My boat handled it with no problems, except that when we crossed the reservoir under power a little water would occasionally get on us.
[signature]