Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Frozen Shad
Have any of yall ever used frozen shad for catching catfish? I know fresh is better is better but some people have good luck on frozen. How do you hook them or do you cut it up in pieces? Raypaw<br><br>Cant change yesterday<br>cant change tommorow<br>can change today so lets get busy
I don't know about shad but frozen anchovy worked well for me when I called California home (many summers ago). I don't know if it was the slow release of small bits and juices or the fact that it was something cold on a hot day that worked, but it did. They didn't care if it was the head, tail or the parts inbetween but they'd bite like a nyphomaniac with lockjaw at high noon in a blistering heat wave. Now that is some serious biting.<br><br>
Hey there guest! Please take a moment to register with the site. It's totally free and there are some great benefits!

As for your question, I first must ask where you're located at. Once we know that, I can locate a local bait and tackle that carries frozen shad. There are also some online bait distributors that will ship it to you VIA dry ice, however, i'm sure you'll find the price to be a little high.

I'd also like to ask what it is you're targeting. Catfish I presume? Frozen shad is OK for blues and flatheads, but there is no comparison to fresh. Many of the charter captains that fish the Santee Cooper lakes here in SC actually keep the shad alive until they are ready to use them.

I prefer live bait myself, but i'm an hour from Santee or any other river that shad is a native species. I just purchased large goldfish to use, but i've only had a chance to try them once. The water was very high and I didn't have any luck. I'm keeping them alive in my father in laws outdoor pond until I get a chance to give them another try. I've found that the same species of cats prefer different offerings depending on the body of water. A piece of fresh cut bait isn't worth a crap on the little pee dee, but it's deadly on the Santee cooper systems.

Let us know whats up. We look foward to hearing from you.
[signature]
well with some frozen baits if they are big enough, you first take a treble hook put it through the belly and then just tie your line to the part that comes through on the top.
[signature]