Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Box tip-up?
Anybody know anything about these? It's got me curious as to how well it actually works as described.

[url http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...d=1]Here's the eBay link to it.[/url]
[signature]
after looking at your photo link, I would say first what a neet contraption...

I am sure it will catch fish the same as any other tipup, I coment the angler who divised the contraption.

with this said let me go on to say that you would do well to not spend your monie on it.. {unless you want a conversation peice for the shantie}

from this disign let me just say I see pleanty of opertunity for loosing a fish. [ol] [ol] [li]if the box sicks to the hold you will have problems[/li] [li]lighting the candle and keeping it lit in a wind proof box will sufficate from the lack of air[/li] [li]the spool is above the so when the candle goes out the ice will freeze around the line. you will never know if you have a bite or not....[/li][/ol][/ol]
should I go on?

dont get me wrong in ideal conditions this will work, just not for every day use on the lake...
[signature]
Thanks Dave. No need to continue. I should devise a battery operated heating ring to keep the hole from freezing up. Smile
[signature]
how about a wind cup or solar powered bubbler to drop to the bottom of your hole [url "javascript: addTag('Wink')"][Wink][/url]

they already have a batterie powered bubbler, the problem with those are once the battery freezes they are dead...

I have a 6 volt lantern that is useless on days below 30* that is -1 celceous for you metric people....
[signature]
I know what you can use to keep your hole thawed,

you know them hand wormer packets... they float if you dont pop a hole in them. just activate them and throw them on top your hole in the box... They are suspost to be good for hours....
[signature]
Great idea! Hmmm, will hafta try it this winter.
[signature]
this would probably work if you are sitting in side of a shelter. if you are out side in the wind and blowing snow I doubt if it would do much good.

the draw back is when you pull up a fish you may snag the packet...

but if you end up trying it, let us know... I would be interested in how it works. I never use the heat packets so I have never had the opertunity to try it my self...
[signature]
I'm wondering if there's a way to keep the pack to the side of the hole. Couldn't hurt to try it this year. Can't wait! Unfortunately, it looks like summer is trying to make a comeback.
[signature]
ya it is, I took charlie for a swim today... you will have to keep an EYE on the tournament board to see what charlie pulled up[url "javascript: addTag('cool')"][cool][/url]
[signature]
I haven't had any luck with Charlie yet. Then again, my fishing time has been extremely limited this year. Maybe next year will offer more time. Hmmm, I wonder if Charlie will work for verticle fishing through the ice.
[signature]
I think it would work if you fished over an ice covered river. put an egg sinker above your swivel snap and put a 15 inch steel leader on the snap then charlie. drop it down and the current should make it swim for you.

I dont know if you get any frozen rivers up your way. we have one called the saginaw river. I doubt if I will fish it this winter. I havent in the last 15 years at least.
[signature]
I have used this " Bite Me Box Tip UP and they work great. The reel pushes back out of the way so you don't have to remove the box to remove the fish. Pulled a 39 inch northern out with no problem. Candle or coals heat the box and do sufficate from a lack of air. All the problems you can think of have been covered in this tip up. Great Product.
[signature]
Im just dying to know how many times you have encounterd these problems with this tip up?? I have fished with it numerous times and have not had any of the problems you have encounterd. This tip up has never sufficated or stuck to the ice. As far as the candle going out, I like to check my tip ups during the day to make sure all is well. I have fished all day with the candle staying lit at all times. It does out fish other tip ups, simply because of the super sensitive flag system.
I never go on the ice without them because they are so easy to fish with as well as wind up at the end of the day. Maybe you should check out the Bite Me Box Tip Ups web site and you tube videos to get yourfacts straight. My guess is you have never fished with them!
Am I right?
[signature]
I see negative comments on here but I have to ask the same question as fishplunger, did you even try it? You came up with all that after looking at a photo link? Wow!!

Here is what I know:
I recently bought one of these to try it out, at first it seemed to be a bit much for a tip-up but I have to say that after using it, ITS WORTH EVERY PENNY. It never backlashed on me once even with large pike. The hole stayed clear with one candle all day with the wind blowing and a wind chill of -3 or so. Being able to move the reel away when bring in a big pike was awesome, nothing got in the way of bringing her out of the hole (Didnt have to move the box, just lift the lid). Another thing that worked great was the ball for a flag, no matter were i was on the ice I could see the flag in the air. The ability to set the flag for a more sensitive settings for perch and walley was so easy a kid can do it and I can tell you I caught more fish on that one box than any of my spring release tip up. Simply put I was truly amazed at how well this thing worked. Money well spent!!! I will be ordering two more before the ice sets in next year.

In my opinion (from using it), this bite me box is great. Buy one and try it, you wont be disappointed!!
[signature]