Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clarification of southern nevada fishing regulations
Southern nevada special regulations say: a licensed person may take baitfish for his own use with a Cast Net with a radius not exceeding three feet from horn to leadline.

So my question is can i use a 6' foot casting net or do i need to use a 3' foot casting net... I would rather use the six footer.

Other states have different wording using streched length instead of radius...Is that the same thing and has nevada just worded it funny or what?

Here's my plan, I wanted to go to Lake Mead and catch some shad that I seen just off the shore with a casting net, and use them for bait instead of anchovies..I do have a regulation size minnow trap (would this be just as good)? Has anyone else tried this or have any thoughts that they might like to add...It seems like a great idea. I was out at the lake on saturday morn from 6-9 and between two of us we caught around 12 stripers fishing from shore. Only two were around two pounds, the rest were more like 10-12 inches and were thrown back to catch another day. There were shad everywhere just off the shore, I would think that if you had one of them hooked through the back and using a heavy bobber to get some distance, would be lethal flopping around on the surface and would produce some fun and exciting fihing from shore. We were using Squid on a number 4 eagle claw bait hook, using a egg sinker above the swivel so the line would not have any resistence when you got a bite. They were hitting like crazy, every cast and if you missed a hit just wait like 5 seconds and you would get another...Tons of fun, cant wait to go next weekend..
[signature]
[size 2] [font "comic sans ms"] Yep, "3' from horn to leadline" translates into a 6' diameter net. The problem I see right off the top with using the 6'er is the mesh size. It may a little large for the shad right now. You might have better results from a 3' net. The last time I was out there the shad I saw weren't but about 1' to 1 1/2". Anytime you can use fresh shad as opposed to something frozen, do it. Glad to hear the squid worked for you. I've never used them at Lake Mead. I heard of people using them on Lake Mohave, but I'll have to give them a try. Hope this helps.
[size 2] [font "comic sans ms"] David
[signature]