Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crankbait striper
I landed one 7lb Striper last Thurs. at Baldridge creek, Lake Lanier on a rapalla crankbait and I'm guessing depth about 25 to 30ft when it was hit by the fish (trolling).

Past weeks I've gotten above many striper schools but can't seem to get them to hit bluebacks. This is 1st success in a long time.

Any ideas out there on best live bait striper rig?? Thanks.
[size 2] [font "Comic sans MS"] Greetings from Nevada. Nice striper, it's been a long time since I got one that size. As a matter of fact, I'm currently eating the last of my striper right now. Need to get out and get me some more. Ya know, I have that same lure (shown in the picture) in my tackle box and was wondering how fast were you running to get it down that deep?
[size 2] [font "Comic sans MS"] David
[signature]
I had about 30 ft of line out and was trolling slow, about 2-3mph on trolling motor. I'm guessing the lure was about 20 to 30 ft down, and at the time it was hit, I saw a school around 35 feet. If you keep the bait above the school, I'm told, that works best. I was just about to call it, just fired up the gas engine, when the rod bent over!
That rapalla is typically a largemouth bass bait, but a guide here in GA said you can use them in summer for stripers. Same day I was mostly using live blueback herring, and went with this crankbait the last 1/2 hour after all morning the live bait wasn't touched, go figure! I've given up LM bass fishing, Stripers are a much better fight... but still learning..... (-:
[size 2] [font "comic sans ms"] Thanks for the info, I'm always looking a way to get the upper hand on them Stripers. Yeah, I read Striper look up to feed and that's the best presentation. Around here we use live Thinfin Shad and some dead baits. Lures also work, the list is fairly extensive.
[size 2] [font "comic sans ms"] David
[signature]