Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Salmon & Steelhead
Anybody know of any good spots to fish for Salmon and/or steelhead in the SW Washington area. I fished for salmon on the Kalama last year. I don't have a boat so I will need to fish from the bank. I am hoping to do some fishing the week of July 29. I know it is probably too early for salmon, but I hope to get a few stealhead. So if anyone knows of any good spots that would be helpful, also the technique used to fish for them at those locations (I am pretty new to fishing so I don't know very many technical terms for fishing techniques) Thanks all for the help.<br><br>
Hello fellow BFT member, I replied earlier but some of the post were lost in cyberspace between the 23rd and 25th.<br>Send me a private message or email from my profile. I have the info and locations you desire!!! Don't wait too long, the salmon have been here since march ( Springers ) with very respectable size. The june hogs just came through and we were finally after many years allowed to keep the beautiful Chromers. Look for middle of Aug for the Salmon action to get hot again as the fall Chinook pilot runs will be here mixed with a huge run of Cohos. Plus the return of them up river brites...40 to 60lbers. [Wink] <br><br>Happy Hookin<br>Gamaktsu &lt;*(((&gt;{<br>
I Have been fishing for about 7 years and would like to help in anyway i can. I just recently went on a summer run steelheading trip to northern B.C world class river the BULKLEY where i caught 18 sumeer run steely's I was using india spinner's big brite pink and flourencent worms with chartreuse wool bright florescent green. And steelhead are not salmon you have to realling hunt for them but once you find them they hit hard.
they love plastic and metal.. I dunno water condition plays a big part in the sucsess of your fishing day and temperature also plays a big role in sucsess. not to warm not to cold
for summer run in the winter does not matter! temp i mean

Anyways you want to cover ripples runs and pools cover it all and then walk up or down and do it all again..

When they hit they hit hard so dont be sleeping on the river and the time of day most guy go early cause they have to work in the day or after work this is why people say these are the best times to fish but i strongly believe thifs is a false statement made buy lazy sportfishermen! ha lol I have caught the majority of these 18 steelhead in the middle of the afternoon when the water heat up alittle. And you should remember something steelhead are not there in a river to eat they have been eating at sea and there number #1 reson for being in the river is to spawn you can catch them going both ways to cumming up the river and going out to sea again to grow another 10lbs before returning they dont all die like salmon after spawning!

This is why they addapt and become almost invisable in a river system? Once thr river is clear learn how to spot the river and the steelhead once you get pretty good it takes a while but you will start to see grey shadows or a spawning fishes siver shine sometimes.. Look for moving water but not to much current in behind bolder are good hidding places. And once you can spot fish in clear water go back and after heavy rain fish the same runs .. but know there is an obsticle you have to fish the river (blind)) cause of levels gone up and clarity of water you might not see anystealhead but remember you fish on a clear day and saw where they where ? The steely's are still in there.

Anyways I live in Vancouver B.c and Hope i have been some help to you and remmeber something sometimes it's not always abou the fish but if your have fun enjoy the day and read or chat with other anglers your day will be way more productive in catching more fish but you start to built your own style of fishing and once you built confidence and it's working stick to it for good times and meemories also alot less stress from other no it all be humble and just keep on fishing.

lol, from Whitepony a.k.a Brandon
[signature]