Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
tippy dam yesterday
I headed out at 4 A.M. yesterday for tippy , bot there just at the break of day . The water felt a little warm and only had one fish on in the coffer , used a two egg spawn sack , that was it for the coffer . lost about 8 different riggs and casted about a hundred times , nobody else had luck up there too .
went below and casted , walked the river down past the first two bends in the river with no results or big fish seen . i swithced over to dilly worms for the walk back and cought dosens of just under legal browns and rainbows . up at the first dam i landed a few rockbass and a legal walleye . all fish went back in .
fishing pressure is light , with only four boats being launched and anchored in the river , i never saw anyone land anything that was a keeper .
i'm not sure if i hit the bobber hole but , there is a hole across the river from the launch and up a bit that is decorated with bobbers all over the brush . it's got a ton of logs underwater that can be seen from the path above , couldn't see one fish in there thou .
plenty of red and yellow leaves are starting to show on the sunset side of the states trees , falls comming early .
i guess i'll try in another couple weeks , river gossip is that the weir is closed down below so no fish can make it up .
good fishing to you !
[signature]
a short report for today , one steelhead and one king , both fish are back in there native suroundings and doing well , much to the fustration of this fisherman .
i felt the steelie was to small to be hanging on a stringer , the king felt he was to old to have such nonsence done to him . i hope to rectify his decision at a later date .
[signature]
the new farmers alminac will be out in two weeks on a tuesday at the stands.

according to channel 2 news they say we can expect a snowy winter....

I know some where in north america someone will get a lot of snow..

ocationaly in the detroit area we get a little. I will wait till winter to see what happens. alminac says snow satilite forcast predict the return of elninno' by turkyday....

any body got a silver dollar? we can flip for it [url "javascript: addTag('sly')"][sly][/url]
[signature]
had me 1 steelhead hit yesterday , big one too . i didn't see him but, i can tell the diferance in the way it struck , a quick hard steady pull that sent the adrelin pumping !!!
saw guys land three kings on the shallow side of the coffer early in the morning then my steelie and another that got landed below the dam . there still hitting good below the weir but once the fish get into the brush areas you might as well give up .
fish eggs are a mixture of maturitys , some just starting on the females , some already squirting as you land them .
i guess there not sure about the time left before ol man winter returns too .
[signature]
any news on the east side?
[signature]
there's always steelies in there (2 or 3 ), but the big fish arive in about three or four weeks .
there is always steelhead , walleye and big channel cats first thing every morning that i go , then they stop at daybreak and the smaller fish start .
[signature]
[url "javascript: addTag('Wink')"][Wink][/url] thanks....
[signature]
Oh , i can do better .
I went over to the M-65 baitstore just south of Hale today , Bassass's neck of the woods . I despratley needed some pencil lead sinkers for my trips to the west side , Ed and Mary's store is the only place i have found them . 120 mile trip for sinkers and to see my old friends , ya gotta love fishing to do that .
Ed and Mary have known me since my first deerhunting trip in 92' .
Ed had just called as I arrived at the shop , he was just crossing the mac on his way home from a flyfishing outing . Mary was working the counter and comented that she wouldn't get a day off from the store untill mid december now , the fishing has started to pick up , that and the onset of the opening hunting season soon .
She said that the mouth of the Au Sable is crowded with fishing boats , the salmon have made it in that close . Night time spincasters are showing up by the droves to try there luck off the pierhead with rapalas , hot n' tots and little cleo's . Beachsitters are coming in too to do some tightlining on the hurons beaches .
Mind you during our entire conversation , Mary was tuning a guy's compound bow , and then proceded to string up his Bear recurve bow .
Mary ties all the spawn sold there too , and i think she's responsible for the wide assortment of salmon flies tied and sold there . What a gal !!!!!!!!!!!!
So , my prediction might be a week or two off , looks like the coho's are comming a little earlier than expected . i'll be stoping in at the M-65 bait store more often now , i will be able to give you week by week acurate reports on the fishing on the sunrise side and the sunset side .
[signature]
looks like you have first and third bases covered...

Thanks....
[signature]
HERE'S THE WEEKEND ACTION .
TIPPY SALMON NUMBERS ARE INCREACING DAY BY DAY , HAD ONE ON THAT JUST TRASHED MY SHIMANO SEDONA 4000 REEL INTO A USELESS CHUNK OF JUNK . THE WHOLE BAILER IS USELESS .
THEMS BIG FISH !!!!
LUDINGTON WAS A BLAST HAD LOTS OF BROWNS , AND LAKERS ON BUT 6# LINE WAS A LITTLE TO LIGHT FOR THEM .
PENTWATER , TONS OF GOBIES AT THE PIERHEAD , BUT STEELHEAD ACTION AT THE BRIDGE WAS JUST AWSOME ! I STOPED AT THE PUBLIC FISH CLEANING STATION TO SEE THE CATCH OF THE DAY FROM THE CHARTERS , 1 MILE OUT AND 100 FEET DOWN ARE WHERE THE 20#+ FISH WERE BEING TAKEN .
I LOADED UP ON SOME FREE FRESH SPAWN THERE . IT'S TIME TO BRING UP THE SPAWN CURES AND RECIPIES .
[signature]
OK lay a recipie on me, the only way I know how to handle eggs is to scramble them...

sounds like I will be up in your neck of the woods soon......
[signature]
lemmy know as soon as you can and i'll make sure i'll get the days off . deercamp is by there so there's no need for a hotel .
i ran over to jay's and picked up a replacement reel and a spawn cure mix . I CAN'T FIND ANY REGULAR BORAX AROUND HERE !!!!!!

basic recipe for brine
1 cup non-iodised salt
1 cup white or brown sugar
1 cup powdered borax
2 quarts water
red or floresent orange die , (add the color to your idea of what you want for your eggs)
soak your eggs in the brine mix for 30 minutes to an hour remove any scum that may form , remove eggs from the brine and let it dry in a strainer overnight . store them in a jar in a cool place .
another e-z way
you can "flower" the eggs in regular borax , let it dry a couple hours and store in a jar as is , rince off the borax on chunks (as needed )and tie up the sacks .
[signature]
O.K. here's the scoop .
typically a salmon /steelhead rod is the ultimate way to go but , i've seen guys land them on a regular spin rod as well but not as often . Medium-light action rods in lengths from 9' to 15' are prefered , this lets the rod take up the shock and stretch that would normally be given to your fishing line when using a stiffer rod .
Simply put , the longer light duty rod asorbes the fight of the fish instead of your line , thus you can use lighter line . Lighter line to be used is in on average the 8 # test lines ( And buy a couple spools of extra line , zebra mussels nick the heck out of line at Tippy . Florocarbon and hybred fishing lines are your best bet , spiderwire has a super mono XXX line that works great for a beginner or if your on a tight budget , but shy away from there other "braided " products . Super braided stuff just plain "bites the big one ". the super braided stuff from just about all the manufactures looses it's coatings after a few casts and preformes poorley , besides you can loose fingers from that junk and it really plays heck on the rivers when it has to be cut off from a snag in the rocks . I'm sure it has a good use somewhere in the fishing industry , i just don't know where .
Frank's Outdoor World in Pinconning has a salmon/steelhead rod and reel combo for $50.00 , thats the cheepest price for a IM-7 rod i've seen anywhere . the reel is just a beginner reel and will do for a couple of days of salmon fishing . If it is within your budget I would upgrade to a Shimano Sendona 4000 RA spincast reel . Shimano in my personal opinion has made that reel just perfect for those of us who would have to save up some cash for quite a while to get a better reel , I own two of them . The anti-reverse system on the reel is spectacular and combined with the anti-wabble dynabalance system for the spool , your talking smooth fishing fun . The reel also has a dule drag setup that rocks , no more seize ups or free spin damage from a fight with a big fish . the drag is important too , it takes some of the fish battle energy . Set you drag to take up at least 2% of the wet breaking strength of the line test strength .
so a long light weight rod , a smooth drag system and a quality fishing line will get you started for your battle .

Hooks , there small . #6 is about the largest you will have to use with spawn bags , This weekend I used #6,#8,#10, and #12 in the octopus style ( circle , egg , octopus , there all basicly the same thing ) with the eye up . I relyed heavily on the #12 hooks , but it has taken a couple of years to get good enough to use them . Your best bet is to start with the #8 hooks , good quality hooks like mustad , yo-zuri , gimatso , owner and eagle claw laser sharp .

SINKERS
FIRST READ YOUR RODS RECOMENDED WEIGHT FOR THEM !!!
A lot of people don't do this and end up overloading the rods ability to function properly . Too much weight and your rod will arch instead of transmitting suttle hits from the fish . pencil leads or splitshot is what you will need . I prefer pencil leads . With pencil leads i can trim off a peice of it to balance my setup to preform to it's maximum capibility . Split shot , put a piece on , take one off , or try another size . I don't to waste time crimping and uncrimping split shot weights , I wanna fish !

3 WAY BARREL SWIVELS ,
Smaller is better , even the cheap brands will do .

FLYS ,
Anyones best guess . last week anything white or red , The week before yellow , this weekend black was the color . If you can call the tippy dam campground or Pappy's tackle shop in wellston they might be able to help you out there . The fly guy will be there ( campgrounds)untill snow falls I belive . He's your best bet when you go up for the trip .
Now there is an outfitter in welston right next to the gas station , I didn't make it in there this trip , but i think they still have gear .
guides , well there's john king that e-mails us reports here , another guide is a son in law of a coworker of mine , bob ison toll free ph# 888-556-2424. with him all you need are your clothes , a cooler , your camera and your eats and drinks .everything else is supplied .

now take a moment and click on a couple of the advertisers here if you want to get better deals on the fishing gear , there mostley less expencive than retail and of a higher quality too .
if your heading to tippy ya ' just might run into me there , but i only share the good spots on the river with my bft brows , so sign up !!!!
[signature]
yes , their in there . I've hit some sweet spots where there at in great numbers , other spots where you couldn't get a fish with a stick of dinamite .
i've heard rumors of undercover officers taking illeagle snaggers to jail and keeping everything they came with , including cars and campers . nightvision , video cameras , the works !$1000.00 fines per fish, and jail time .
read the rules and regulations .
[signature]
While in Manistee last weekend I picked some BAIT CURE special borax formula made by alaska premier bait.

with this product you simply place it over your eggs compleatly covering the eggs. place in an air tight container and referigerate or even freeze.

It says eggs are useable in 10-12 hours if refrigerated they will last for months and if frozen a year or better....

suspost to be good for minnows as well. I am going to try it on chicken livers... It dosnt say any thing about them but is worth a try....

they have a glow in the dark borax but I did not find this product available on the shelf.

any one wanting a catalog of their product line contact them can by mail. send 1.00 to Atles Bait Co. PO BOX 608 Fort Atkinson WI 53538
[signature]
you aint kiddin about them zebra mussles, I pulled in what looked to be a peice of an old sock with a congrigation of mussles the size of a soft ball fryday night....
[signature]
yep, I ran in to a couple of them while I was there... they didnt bother me to much, I had to hook in to a fish first...LOL....

my dog spotted them first. they smelled like fish.... [laugh]

I saw one guy not to happy when he had to throw one back. on the up side he would have been even unhappier if he didnt...

best information is to fish by the rules guys, it aint a compitition and you can buy you a fish for a lot less right there in town of bretherins if you are realy that desperate..... the cost when I was there was $7 for a king and $4 for a Coho... NOT A POUND BUT FOR A WHOLE FISH...... Beleive me, your wife and buddies will never know the differance...... and you get to keep the car.....
[signature]
I USE THE REGULAR BORAX , 1 CUP BORAX , 1/2 CUP SALT , 1/2 CUP BROWN OR REGULAR SUGAR . RED AND YELLOW FOOD COLORING OR EASTER EGG DIE .
I PUT A SCREEN OVER A 5 GALLON BUCKET AND RINSE OFF THE EGGS WITH WELL WATER ,( REGULAR TAP WATER HAS CLORINE IN IT AND TURNS THE EGGS WHITE) . THEN I LET THEM SET FOR TWO HOURS TO DRY .
I MIX UP ALL THE INGREADIENTS AND ADD SOME WATER TO IT IN A BIG JAR . THE FOOD COLORING I ADD TO MAKE THEM REAL BRIGHT ORANGE , OR A REDDISH TINT . I LET IT SIT OVERNIGHT .
I THEN PUT THEM BACK ON THE SCREEN TO DRY FOR ANOTHER TWO HOURS , AFTER THAT I PACK THEM IN PURE BORAX IN A JAR .
IT STORES FOR A YEAR .
IT MAKES IT PRETTY EASY TO TIE THE SPAWN SACKS TOO , NO STICKEY MESS ! THERE DRY AND ALL I DO IS ADD SOME RIVER WATER TO THEM ONCE I START FISHING , THE EGGS SWELL BACK TO THERE ORIGINAL SIZE .
[signature]
TEE HEE HEEE , I'M SO EMBARASED !!!!
[signature]