Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
N.D. duck numbers decline
North Dakota's 2004 fall duck flight is expected to be down about 40 percent from last year and similar to the fall flights of 1995 and 1996, the Game and Fish Department says.
According to Mike Johnson, waterfowl biologist for Game and Fish in Bismarck, the 2004 brood index from the department's annual mid-July survey was down 45 percent from last year's record total, but still 77 percent above the 1955 to 2003 average. Average brood size was 6.4 ducklings, down 0.4 from last year. The long-term average is 7.2 ducklings per brood. The water index observed during the survey was unchanged from 2003, and 45 percent above the 1955 to 2003 average.
Average age of broods was younger than the long-term average, Johnson said. Brood survey results, Johnson expects, may be somewhat low because of marginal weather conditions and dense vegetative cover on many wetlands.
The index does not count every water body or duckling in the state. Instead, biologists sample representative transects across the state each year. Over time, survey results provide biologists with trend information that allows annual comparisons of waterfowl production in the state.
[signature]
you may find this info to be both accurate and inaccurate.

reason being is that there were a multitude of late nestings and late hatches...

many of the broods inter mix on the ponds. the yung realy can not distinguish from one momma to the next. I have seen this a number of times on the farm. one day a momma duck would have 7 and the next 14 and yet a day later 2. this goes back and forth day after day in the life of a mallard duck....

geese and swans will do the same thing... there is some truth to the ugly duckling story....[url "javascript: addTag('Tongue')"][Tongue][/url]
[signature]
I forgot to mention that I saw mallard hatchlings last week. I know I live in michigan, but I am sure this will be the case in your area as well... every thing is running late this year, I have a fealing we may not have much of a winter....
[signature]