Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1st day out w/FC 4
It seems like this week all of us newbies are trying out our Fish Cat 4's. Today I finally found some time and took the FC 4 for a ride. Like the Parstealth I also made the rod rack, while my wife thought that I was crazy while making it I think it's one of the most successful DIY that I've ever done. And yes Tubedude, the sonar setup is already in my head. I think that I did OK for the first day, turning was a bit awkward. It seems that I found myself leaning in order to move my fins in a more vertical direction, sound reasonable? I took the fly rod and caught some nice panfish in a lake which I had never been to before. Next week we're heading up to Cape Cod and there are ponds everywhere so the FC 4 will be working overtime. For others interested, I purchased the equipment at the following: FC 4-www.riverwire.com; fins-ebay; waders-Cabela's; neoprene booties: local scuba shop. Thanks to everyone for giving advice regarding equipment, etc.
[signature]
Way to go on the FC4. Your success story makes the rest of us feel better that we are giving sound advice and not just blowing in the wind. hee hee.

Ever since I tried TubeDudes SFC, I decided that was the craft for me. I ended up with the FC4 right around Thanksgiving of last year. I think it was one of the best investments that I had made for the price.

Good luck out there and if you need anything, don't hesitate to ask. That's why we are here to share ideas and help each other.[url "javascript: addTag('cool')"][cool][/url]

All we ask in return is that you share too and keep those reports coming in.
[signature]
[url "javascript: addTag('cool')"][cool][/url][#0000ff]Doncha love it when a plan comes together? Glad you are making good progress and that your new craft is destined to get lots of use.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Learning the basics of propulsion and control sometimes takes some practice. The single biggest thing is to be patient. There are no hairpin turns in a float tube, and you can't blast up out of the hole and get it on plane like a bass boat.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Over time, you will realize that making long slow kicks, with maximum push of the fin blade against the water, will get you around better and wear you out less. I have seen newbies that try to impress folks by kicking up a roostertail. You can do that for a short distance, but it wears you out faster and leaves you more prone to muscle spasms in your legs. That is not a pleasant experience while you are out on the water.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Turning in a float tube is not unlike turning in a rowboat. Lighten up on one side and apply more power on the other side. Leaning is more mentally therapeutic than effective in making the turn. If you were taking a corner on a motorcycle, leaning helps. In a float tube, not necessarily.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]All that is part of the fun of becoming a "tubaholic". You learn new things every trip. Heck, I still learn, or relearn, something just about every time I hit the water. Of course, at my age, I forget what I know a lot faster too.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
how much do the fat cats run? i was thinking about getting one.
[signature]
[url "javascript: addTag('cool')"][cool][/url][#0000ff]Hey Petty, the Fat Cats run about the mid 200's, with Super Fat Cats about a hundred more...for an inflatable seat and slightly more flotation.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I am becoming convinced that the Fish Cat 4, around $150, is the best bargain for the money. There are some sacrifices in materials, etc., but still a better ride than many others in the same price range.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have both a Super FC and a regular FC. If you would like to try before you buy, let's get together and you can paddle around in one to get a feel for it.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
sound good well have to hook up
[signature]
[url "javascript: addTag('cool')"][cool][/url][#0000ff]Yeah, maybe a "boat and float" combo expedition somewhere. Have your people contact my people and they can work out the details.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Ciao. (or is it chow?)[/#0000ff]
[signature]
The FishCat 4 is currently selling from $125 to $140. It depends on where you get it and if there are some seasonal specials. I believe someone metioned that they saw them at Ganders for a good price.

They are an awesome craft for the price.[url "javascript: addTag('cool')"][cool][/url]
[signature]