Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Two Lake Tubin' in Utah 8-19-04
[#000000]Hey folks, I posted this on the Utah board, but thought I would share it here too. Note in one of the pics of TubeBabe that she is still using and enjoying her "sushi board" rigid apron. She says she would never go back to the flimsy mesh apron provided by Outcast. Now she wants me to put a ruler on it so she can accurately measure fish for slot limits. [/#000000]

[url "http://javascript:%20addTag('cool')/"][cool][/url][size 1][#0000ff]I don't officially start my new gig until next Monday, and I was able to rationalize putting off mowing the rain-enhanced lawn until tomorrow. So, what else? We went fishing.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Launched at the island on Deer Creek (float tubes) about 6:30 AM. Calm, with water temp 67 in the shallows and 69 away from shore. Lots of carp sucking on the surface but no sign of other surface activity...until 7:10, when the first water skier paid us a visit.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Fished in and out, shallow and deep, plastics, worms and baitbugs. Saw very few fish on the sonar. Went clear around the island and started out onto the flats. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Tubebabe hooked a fat 2 1/2 pound rainbow just after 7, on a gold-head crawdad baitbug with worm. Made a good dinner tonight, with some summer squash.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][/#0000ff][Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=5963;]
[#0000ff]I found a few small smallies out in 15 feet of water, about two hundred yards NE of the Island. Exercised a few, without finding any walleyes or any larger smallies.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]TubeBabe dinged another smallie while bouncing a jig on the way back in, to haul out and go to Jordanelle.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Launched from the personal watercraft ramp about 10 AM. Very quiet, even for a weekday. Water temp just over 67.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Immediately started getting hammered by perch and small smallmouth. Worked around the cove to the west of the personal watercraft area. Lots of fish in 12 to 15 feet of water.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Played around with some new colors on my Roadrunners. Made a great purple glitter head with several different bodies to try. All of them worked very well. We could seldom get a jig to the bottom without it being intercepted by either a perch or smallie.[/#0000ff]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=5965;]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Kept a few perch for a "poor man's shrimp boil". Tossed back an "illion" or two. Had a strong urge to run my thumb through their gills before releasing them "unharmed". Didn't.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Probably caught 25 or 30 smallies on the new "Purple Peril" Roadrunners. Several over 12". Largest brought to the tube was 14"...both for me and TubeBabe. I lost one on ultralight and 4 # line that would have gone about 17 or 18 inches. Beat me up for awhile and then jumped and tossed my pretty new jig back to me. Got a salute from me and I went back to fishing.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][/#0000ff][Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=5964;]
[#0000ff]I was amazed to find so many fish so close to such a busy spot. There were quite a few PWC launching after it got warmer, and most of them stayed to the East of us.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Left the water, with too much sun, about 3 PM. Water had warmed to 70. I am guessing that after Labor Day, the water will cool, the power squadron will thin out and the fish will get more active. I plan to test that theory.[/#0000ff] [/size]
[signature]
[size 1]I only have one question for yea their TubeDude...[/size]
[size 1]will you adopt me? That place looks like fishing heaven![url "javascript: addTag('angelic')"][angelic][/url][/size]
[signature]
I see you guys were having lots of fun. I hope it won't be too long before I can get up there myself and either get my tube wet or try out my ice boots and my 4 foot auger.[url "javascript: addTag('cool')"][cool][/url]
[signature]
[url "javascript: addTag('cool')"][cool][/url][#0000ff]Nothin' personal, Stoney, but I ain't in an adopting mode. Finally got out of the "kid business", but now we got grandkids. You would have to bring a pretty hefty tax break for me to even consider adopting ya.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Next best thing, though. Come on over sometime and take advantage of the BFT hospitality, in almost any of our states. Most of us would gladly show you around and introduce you to some of our favorite waters. And, there would be no spankings, dish washing or taking out the trash. Better than getting adopted.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Great report TD. Nice looking fish too. What do those roadrunners look like? Never heard of them.
[signature]
[url "javascript: addTag('cool')"][cool][/url][#0000ff]I am attaching some pics and writeups. I am sure you have seen or heard of them, in some form or another. Jimmy Houston has promoted them heavily for years.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I bought a few to try one time and almost immediately searched out a mold to make my own. Blakemore company owns the name Roadrunner, and you can't make them commercially by that name. But, you can get "pony head" or "horse head" molds that turn out the same product.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I use them extensively both for my "bait bugs" and for rigging grubs and worms. In the larger sizes, they work well for hanging a big tube jig down deep for macks and salt water fishies, on a vertical presentation.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Come on back with any additional questions.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[url "javascript: addTag('sly')"][sly][/url]lol TubeDude.
i would gladly take out the trash, do the dishes, mow the lawn, to fish there! (and maybe even get spanked a few times)[url "javascript: addTag('Tongue')"][Tongue][/url]
[signature]
Hey Tube Son ... we had a great time! My guess is that you will be more than likely using the ice auger than floating a tube! Either way ... get on over here!
[signature]
[url "javascript: addTag('cool')"][cool][/url][#0000ff]Now it sounds like we are getting kinky. Let's just leave it at the fishing.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Seriously, any chance you have some time planned for a trip stateside? Be sure to let us know and we will arrange a warm BFT welcome, wherever you go.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Hey thanks for the info! Those look like fish catching machines[url "javascript: addTag('cool')"][cool][/url]! I'll have to go buy some.
[signature]
Great pics and fish too. I can't wait to get back out in my tube,but Kids turn to go fishing now. The big bass boys have a tourney at my local lake. We are going out with the worms and catch a few bass as they troll by. It's always funny when the shore guy catches a bass and the boat dude doesn't.[url "javascript: addTag('cool')"][cool][/url]
[signature]
Hey Stoney,

I had dibs on him first but he already turned me down about a year ago or so.... oh man........

JapanRon
[signature]
[url "javascript: addTag('cool')"][cool][/url][#0000ff]Hey Ron san, you weren't asking about adoption. You were going for dinner and dancing. When you said that you had to lead when we danced, that was it.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]For future reference, I always practice safe fishing, and I never share bait on the first date.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Hey Tubebabe and Pat its good to see your turning the waters upside down around here and jerking a few from their hiding spots..

Btw,, looks like the grass has filled in nicely across the pond in the picture of Tubebabe holding the Bow.. That entire mountain burned for days last year..
[signature]
Hey there TubeDude,

The only male animals I don't have a problem cuddling up to is ............. fish. ha ha Unless of course it's those toothy, snappy ones. Doh!

With adoption out of the question, I guess I could become your long lost kid brother!

JapanRon
[signature]
[#804000]Some of us have been on TD's adoption list for a long time. [/#804000]
[#804000][/#804000]
[#804000] So Pat, how do you like the house tomegun built(X).[/#804000]
[signature]
[#0000ff]Hey Guns, you did a great job with the architecture. Also did a fine job of filling it up with "furniture" and "residents". A bit overpopulated with the "less desirables", but plenty of "quality" inhabitants if you can get them to answer when you knock.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]That was a great trip you had with Predator yesterday. I guess I am going to have to get my social director to contact your social director and see if we can coordinate a "summit meeting". Purpose, to conduct further census studies on your project and to search for the larger residents.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You do good work.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Those lures, do u jig them or cast it out and jig/reel it in? I don't think I ever saw those before. What fish do u use them for?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I make just about all of my own stuff. I have used those jigs in just about every state, for just about every species of fish. I either cast and retrieve the, letting the spinner call in the fish, or I also vertical jig them a lot...or bounce them along the bottom while kicking backwards in my tube.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You can find Roadrunner jig heads, for fishing plastics, but I don't know any company that makes the short-tailed jigs that I make, for attaching bait...my "Bait Bugs".[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Looks like you have been reading back through the archives.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[size 1][#0000ff]Looks like you have been reading back through the archives.[/#0000ff] [/size]
Yep![Wink]
Wanna see what is in there, I'm up to page 15.....
[signature]