Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GPS ?
I've been seriously considering a GPS hand held unit but I have never had anything to do with a GPS unit. As far as fishing what features should I be looking for and whats a good product and price range?!
Thanks in advance for all advice!
[signature]
Here is a good thread of this subject already on here .
[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=33384;search_string=GPS;#33384"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=33384;search_string=GPS;#33384[/url]
another web store to check units out and pricing .
[url "http://www.thegpsstore.com/default.asp"]http://www.thegpsstore.com/default.asp[/url]
[signature]
Thanks a bunch for the links H/A. I appreciate it
[signature]
I have a ETREX GPS,they go for about $100.I can't down load maps to it,but there aren't many for Utah anyway.I have never needed a map anyway.What you have is a way to mark a waypoint,place where you want to return to,there is a GoTo function,that takes you back in a straight line,and a Trackback function,that takes you back on the same track that you went the first time (this works good going back over the same place when you were trolling,or returning to the dock after dark).The main thing about them is practice,practice.The GoTo function takes you in a straight line,so if you have to go around any thing,its best to use Trackback.Confusing?Yes,but its a nice tool
[signature]
Hey FishCrazy,, Thanks for the reply and suggestion.
Yep for this old dino its all a bit confusing although I'm sure I can learn it. I certainly dont need anything to fancy or a lot of Topo mapping altho a little of certain underwater structures would be nice on certain lakes.
I merely want to be able to punch in a coordinates and go from where I'm stand (or floating) at that moment to where I want to be, as well as, mark a spot on open water or ice and be able to return to it 3 zillion times if I choose to.
[signature]
don ,i have the same one as crazy its a very good unit, simple to use.there are not many maps for utah or wyo to download so i didnt worry about having that feature,i know where iam at when on the gorge.they are priced right,only thing i dont like about it is ,its sure eats the batteries up,i use the speed feature all the time.
[signature]
Get caught in a snow storm while ice fishing, or perhaps in a heavy fog or even darkness, and you will sure wish you had that topo software installed on your GPS. I have a Magellan with the topo software and highly recommend it.
[signature]
It took me awhile to figure out the TraceBack,but it will take you back to where you started in the fog,dark,Etc.The GoTo feature will take you to the same place every time.
[signature]
I too have the topo software on my GPS. I have the etrex legend and the topo map has saved me more than once walking off the mountain in the dark from walking off a cliff. The topo maps are the USGS Quad maps for the whole US. They also have a Metro Guide that shows roads, exits, restaurants and campgrounds.
[signature]
Thanks everyone for you input, I surely appreciate it!!

To this point I'm still not sure witch direaction I'll go as far as mapping or not (pun intended).

A question about a unit with mapping though. Does each brand of unit only except certain mapping soft wear? The reason I ask is I can get topo maps of anyplace off the net. Can I load them directly to the GPS unit, and/or, can I load only the portion of the soft wear I want and/or need?
In all honesty I dont see myself having a lot of use for mapping other than pin pointing bottom contours. If I'm on the ice at dark I'm usually staying the night. But Yes!, those wind powered ground level white outs suck!
I will admit that during the years I had a cabin at Clarks there were mornings when the fog was so thick it would have been a might easier with a GPS with mapping (just to find my way from the cabin to the dock and boat) and of course while trolling. But my brother always made great fog horn to clear our path,lol. (anyone else recall those foggy morning cabin days at the Berry?)

In any case, I appreciate any and all advice given. Its given me a couple paths (pun intended) to follow..
[signature]
I believe you have to have the software for the brand of GPS you have. When I download the maps I can do up to about 1/3 of the state of utah. So you just select the area you want.
[signature]
Hey coldfooter-Saw some GPS stuff in the Salt lake trib, in the thrifties.
[signature]
Hey if you really want to have some fun with gps try geocaching.

What is Geocaching?
Geocaching is an entertaining adventure game for gps users. Participating in a cache hunt is a good way to take advantage of the wonderful features and capability of a gps unit. The basic idea is to have individuals and organizations set up caches all over the world and share the locations of these caches on the internet. GPS users can then use the location coordinates to find the caches. Once found, a cache may provide the visitor with a wide variety of rewards. All the visitor is asked to do is if they get something they should try to leave something for the cache.

Try looking at geocaching.com

There is a group of utah geocachers and message boards at utahgeocachers.com

I have a Garmin Vista I am selling for $200. It will hold all the maps you want and has a digital compass and altimeter. ( I will even keep my fishing "hotspots" in it if you want...he he)

GPS is awesome and Garmin is my personal favorite. I have owned Magellan and Cobra Units.
[signature]
Don,

Unfortunately, the topo software isn't going to give you underwater structure. It will show you the shoreline of the various lakes, but nothing regarding underwater.
[signature]
I bought one of them Rhino 110, which is a gps & radio all in one! I'm still trying to master the damn thing though? I haven't figured out the track back feature on mine yet? but I could really use that feature the most if I only had some gps sense! I probably need alot more practice I guess.
[signature]
The Rino units are great.
However, if someone were to ask me, I would strongly suggest the Rino 120 over the 110. It is about $80 more, but well worth it. The 110 is a plotting GPS, while the 120 is a mapping, meaning that you can download actual maps on the 120. The 110 will plot courses and waypoints, and you can download waypoint, but it won't hold a lot compared to the 120.
I bought both when they first came out and I'm now wishing I didn't buy the 110.
Oh, and the one other really cool feature is some of the functionality of the radios. These all come with FRS and GMRS frequency radios. If you are talking to someone else that has a Rino, it actually sends your location to their unit so you can know exactly where the other person is.
On a more serious note, wouldn't it be nice if that poor scout in the Uintahs had one of these with him? Even if he couldn't have found his way back using the GPS, he could have communicated with the radio. FRS radios are an absolute must anymore when heading into the mountains, especially with youth.
[signature]
Thanks everyone for your help.. Someday I'm going to get me one and maybe for Xmas if Santa thinks I've been good,, well,,, good enough.

Btw, yeah thats a Sad situation about the lost boy [Sad]
[signature]