Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newest Rigid Apron for Outcasts
[url "javascript: addTag('cool')"][cool][/url][#0000ff]Hey folks, I finally found a plastic container lid for me to make a rigid apron from, for my Super Fat Cat. TubeBabe has had hers for quite awhile and loves it. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]When I moved into my new dwelling, there were some things left behind by the former occupants. They included two nice Rubbermaid storage containers, with lids just the right size for making a rigid apron. A few quick holes with the drill, running the stretch cord across top and bottom and tieing on the hooks and I was good to go. No fancy cutting and shaping. It works perfectly.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]See the attached pics for the general idea. As you can see, I added a measure for quick evaluation of a catch before tossing or saving. The "tape" goes to 19", but the whole lid is about 23 inches, including the two tab handles on the side. They fit perfectly right up against the side pockets.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The rigid surface helps in subduing fish, and especially when you want to play in a lure box. No more dumping a box from a slanting or sagging apron, when you get hit by a bow wake.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]That hard surface is also good for cutting bait, since you can rinse it off when you are finished. I drilled small holes around the inside edges to facilitate drainage.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Hi TubeDude,

Nice setup. I recently noted, added and tried the idea of putting little one inch pegs on the front edge of my rigid/stripping apron. I fly fish a lot so those pegs kept my stripped-in line (most of the time) from becoming tangled as it always does. Especially if you troll with a fly that's not balanced then try to cast. Putting them on the front edge keeps the main area clear for regular fishing needs. They're placed about four inches inside from my pop-up sides.

Again, nice setup,

JapanRon
[signature]
[url "javascript: addTag('cool')"][cool][/url][#0000ff]I can't visualize the pegs setup. It would seem to me that pegs would only add to the potential for loose loops of line getting tangled, either on a cast or when a big fish rips out line after being hooked during the strip.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I used to strap on a deep plastic bucket or tub when using shooting heads. When I coiled the loose line in them, while stripping, the coils usually came right back out the same way they went in, without too many tangles. But, if they chose to tangle, it was usually when I was trying to get a big fish on the reel. Murphy's Law.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have seen some neat nylon fabric line baskets on the market recently. They are designed for wading fishermen, but I'll bet they would work for tubing applications.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Looks good. I might have to try one. I might not have the room I would like, but I will have to find out. Most of the time the longer the rod the longer the handle on the rod.

Looks great and serves a purpose that's what counts.[url "javascript: addTag('Wink')"][Wink][/url]
[signature]
[url "javascript: addTag('cool')"][cool][/url][#0000ff]I prefer shorter handles on rods I use for float tubing, so that they are not always catching on my fishing vest or my anatomy. Since I make most of my rods, I use shorter handles. If I find a commercial rod I like, I sometimes either cut it back a few inches or completely rebuild the handle to my liking.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Take the measurements for what space you have available...length, width, etc. Then, look for a container lid that will fit.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
OH TD [url "javascript: addTag(':/')"][unsure][/url], You still haven't learned? Even after that length post we had a few months back when TB Incorporated her rigid apron. It is so drab! Remember just because we are fisherman doesn't mean we can't have a good "fashion Sense". I hope to see your apron colored something more apealing like purple.

Now as far as your choice of bait bug colors...that gets 10 snaps!!! Even the fishies like purple. Keep in mind that Jordenelle fishies are a bit snobish and won't bite at just any old color. You could learn alot from them they have great fashion sense. Are the "bugs" glittery also?

You got to give me the 411 on fishing bait bugs at the Nelle. I've got a bunch but besides "perching" and "gilling" I haven't used them much. Those purple one's are real purdy!!! I think I deserve a few for all my exceptional fashion and design advice. [url "javascript: addTag('Wink')"][Wink][/url] [url "javascript: addTag('Smile')"][Smile][/url][url "javascript: addTag('Tongue')"][Tongue][/url]
[signature]
[url "javascript: addTag('cool')"][cool][/url][#0000ff]I have always operated on the theory that free advice is usually worth what you pay for it.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You is right. We hafta get together for some "show and tell"...both at my place and on the water.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]About coloring the "sushi board", I want you to know I am receiving bids from several top notch designers. Mr. Larry is in the lead, since he specializes in various shades of lavender. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]See my report on Jordanelle, on the Utah board. I included a pic of my new stuff in a lure box. Oh what the heck, I will post it here too.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Not mister Larry again!!!! What a fairy Queen [url "javascript: addTag('mad')"][mad][/url]
[signature]
nice jigs. I just picked up some of that purple craft chord and some purple glitter so I can do some heads in that color, Do you have a larger version of that pic you could send me TD(the one with the newstuff),
jed
[signature]