Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
strawberry report (8-22-04)
Fished strawberry this morning from 6:00-1:00 with HA69. Started out at the ladders the kokes where hitting the surface for the first couple hours of daylight but we could'nt get them to take anything. HA69 did manage to hook into one alittle later after they quit hitting the surface. The fishing was slow at first HA69 caught 3 or 4 and I caught & released 1 22.5" cut in the first 3 hours. We decided to relocate alittle further out and off to the side of the ladders and do some jigging then we started getting into them boating about 25 and missing many more hits. Most fish where 18"-20" and fat. The wind started to blow hard so we decided to call it a day. When we started driving home the DWR was stoping everyone and checking all vehicles one of the officers said they had confiscated 30 fish and they had just started the road block.
[signature]
[#804000]Thats a strange looking trout, maybe a cuttbow(Wink). [/#804000]
[#804000][/#804000]
[#804000]Good job DWR on busting those bastards, yeah team![/#804000]
[signature]
Props to the DWR for enforcing the regulations. I will never understand why people choose to break the law and try to take fish that are not legal to keep. Some egos think that rules are for everyone else but them. We all need to do our part and report others that we see keeping illegal catches. How deep were you jigging and how close to the bottom. Do you jig quick or do you pause between jigs. I use a fly rod and a woolly bugger most of the time but I can't reach the fish when they are deep. At times like that I would like to try jigging instead. I have jigged at Causey before but only tried it once at the Berry with a little success. I like to fish at Chicken East but the water there isn't very deep. Will jigging work well in less than 30' of water? Are white tube jigs best? Do you use scent on them? Any other info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks DKS
[signature]
The last two weekends jigging aggressively has worked best but we also caught fish just letting the jig sit stll, it can change from week to week. I like jigging it 3 quick ones and letting it sit for afew seconds. We where fishing in 38' of water with our jiggs 2'-3' off the bottom. Jigging 30'of water is alittle shallow for this time of year if you want to get into alot of cutts but we did catch afew rainbows in 16' last weekend. 30' would be good during the spring or early summer or even late fall-early winter early in the morning. You need to find water that is 35'-45' for this time of year 38' has seemed to be the best. White has been working very well pearl has been a good color also. I use anchovie smelly jelly it helps attract fish,hide our own sent and it is good to put on the jigg head before you slide it into the tube jigg so it will slide in easier. I tip it with a worm or even a meal worm. I fish it pretty much the same as I do ice fishing except ice fishing I will use smaller jiggs most of the time,1.5"-3"during the summer but during the winter using smaller that 1.5" even down to a 1/64oz jigg head. The 22.5" cutt I caught today was caught on a bright pink 1/32oz icefly I was hoping to pick up a koke, I very seldom use that jigg during the summer months.
[signature]
HA69 has been wanting hook into a koke for quite a while. He finally got one today, his life is complete now.
[signature]
Thanks for your reply MGB. I hope to get up to the Berry over Labor Day weekend. I will try to find some deeper water and give jigging a try. DKS
[signature]
Great report MGB--thanks for the info.
[signature]
I do like catching most species big or small . I have tried to catch a koke when you would be trolling around too fast , but hey it's your boat . If I wanted to catch Kokes , I could hook plenty from shore right now jiggin' . Just want to show BFT it could be done . In fact that pic you took is the first pic of me holding a spawning koke that I caught and I thank you for it . Always have fished by myself most of the life so I never got a pic of one before .
You did forget to mention about the cutt that spit out a chub when you got it to the surface . It looked to be 4" to 5" long , so our jigs where smaller than the feed . But hey it was a great trip and you did hook the biggest cutt where the Koke was caught . Thanks for the trip .
I told the DWR to keep a eye on you as you pulled into there blockade and to search your boat good for chub . Did they find any ? LOL
[signature]
Chubs ya right. You where the one fishing for chubs.

I've always offered to slow the boat down. When I troll a little on the fast side my count downs can handle it,I knew your pop-gear can't handle it as well but when I offered to slow down you said I don't need to.
[signature]