Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3/4 Day Premier Trip
Hey there guys,

Went out on the Premier again today. Frank ran the boat with Robby decking. Another lite load (23) with totals 80 calicos, 230 barracuda, and 50 bonito.

Wide open on the cuda by flylining a big chovie and we did have excellent bait to do the job. Didn't want much to do with the sardines but jigs and plastic did well if you knew what you were doing.

The guys tossing jigs on the bow caught lots of fish too.

I caught tons of calicos (don't keep fish myself) but there were lots of shorts to get through before pulling in a legal. Lots of fun.

The jerkit soft bait guy was on the boat so it's always interesting to watch him work the plastics.

Great day as usual,

JapanRon
[signature]
I can tell that you were having alot of fun. It's kind of hard not to. Has the bait size picked up lately?? We were out on Sunday and we got stuck with 2 to 2 1/2 inch minnows from the bait receiver.

We did manage to catch a few on the Native Sun. Lots of Macks and Boneheads for the shark bait.
[signature]
yea those "minnows" .. they get them because they are cheaper than the large baits... and plus .. everyone is fishin sand bass..
and they bite anything... FYI i only seen the minnows on long beach boats ..( cheap son of a guns.. )
[signature]
The size of the bait will make a big difference as well. I usually like a bigger sardine on a flyline or slider instead of the mini minnows.

I can usually get bigger bas around 20 to 22 inches instead of the barely legals that like the dinky baits.
[signature]
Hi there TubeN2,

A lot of times, even though there are no good size sardines, there are baby sardines mixed in with the anchovies. Try to use these guys livelining before the macks or boneheads arrive as they are usually bit real quick. Pin one on and you'll see the difference between them and the small chovies!

JapanRon
[signature]
I agree with you. I will always prefer a dine over a chovy. You know the pickings will be better when they have baby Macks mixed in once in awhile. Those little guys bring out the bigger fish in a heartbeat.

Thank you once again for your generous info. Domo arigato.
[signature]