Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mako Shark
Here's hoping I get the pix. When the water temp gets to 70 degrees out by the rigs we start thinking Mako Sharks. So we ventured out last Tuesday and set up a chum line at the 12 mile mark. I fished with 20 pound and a 30 inch 60 pound steel leader tipped with a 6/0 9174 mustad. Three of us used fresh bonita slabs. I got the only two hook-ups of the day, The first was a very large approx. 200 pounder which I thought was a "blue shark until he ran off 200 yards of line then vaulted 4 feet into the air and threw the hook. So I reeled in and sharpened the hook. About an hour later I got another pick-up which again felt like a "blue". Same deal he ran off 100 yards of line and jumped but this time the hook held, 55 minutes later he was on the boat. He weighed 105 pounds(pictured with my son Cal). But the first one that got away was twice as big! Scary. I think they liked the light tackle since my buddies were using twice the size tackle and they didn't get a bite."Eat your heart out boys" while my barbecue cooks those magnificent steaks.
[signature]