Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stupid Computer
After about 10 minutes of perfect functioning, my computer now comes up with cannot find server until I reboot. Whats up with this? Did I break a cookie or something? Ah, cookies...
[signature]
I have AOL as my internet provider and sometimes it does that until I go in and rearrange my dial up numbers. I do not have dsl. But when I do that then it works just fine.
[signature]
Hey Tommy, are you using Dial-up, or do you have DSL/Cable?
[signature]
us west DSL
[signature]
I highly doubt that you have a problem with any sort of cookie. It may be a problem with the settings in WinXP or in IE.

Just a little experiment, go to the [url "http://www.mozilla.org"]Mozilla[/url] web page and Download either Mozilla or Firefox browsers. Load them up and see if you get the same server message. If you DSL is always on, you should be able to launch the browser without launching any Quest or MSN garbage. That will eliminate problems with your DSL modem, your USB port, and your ISP. If you still have the same problems, let me know. I'm sure we can get this figured out.
[signature]
It didn't work either
[signature]
It could be a problem with the TCP/IP stack, or perhaps the DNS lookup is getting reset, but I can't imagine that is happening. Drop me a PM with your number and we can try to figure it out.

Next time you are online...surf around and wait for the error to occur, keep your computer on and then do the following.

1. Click Start, and then click run (usually located in the second column of the start menu).

2. This will launch a small window, in the text line type cmd and then press enter.

3. This should bring up an old DOS style window. The curser should be flashing next to a menu...usually "Documents and Settings Tommy>" Here type the following, ping www.xmission.com and then press enter. You should get a little report that says "Pinging www.xmission.com [198.60.22.4] with 32 bytes of data" It should then get a reply, 4 times from the above IP address. If you get a report that says "ping request could not find host" then it is probably a problem with your computer TCP/IP stack or DNS lookup. If it finds the IP address (the 198.60.22.4 number) but times out with the ping request, then it is a problem with your modem, or perhaps another setting.

4. Restart your computer and while everything is working re-try the ping command in step 3.

I know this won't solve the problem, but it might help us get to the bottom of it.
[signature]
I'm trying this first-restoring the computer to a past date. Fingers crossed
[signature]
That's a good idea as well. Let me know how it goes.
[signature]