Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
bow mount trolling motor on toon
Anyone tried mounting a bow mount trolling motor in the rear cargo space on a piece marine grade plywood? seems like these are the only one's available with the foot pedal controls. Has anyone seen a kit to convert a handle control motor to the foot pedal control? if not i'm thinking bout trying this and mounting the foot control on the front and bolt it to the foot rest. already made the new cargo deck out of marine grade plywood, so we'll see how this pans out. still working on obtaining spec's on the minn kota motors and such. i'll keep yea posted on my progress.
[signature]
That would be nice to see when it's done. I'm not sure if the craft can handle the extra weight. Don't forget the extra weight of the battery.
[signature]
[url "javascript: addTag('cool')"][cool][/url][#0000ff]If you get a larger pontoon craft, with plenty of size and flotation, there should be no reason why you couldn't set up the foot pedal in the front. I had thought of something like that myself. I have operated bow mount electrics on bass boats and it is great to have the hands free for "runnin' and gunnin'" along a bank.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Most pontoons have the foot rests that could be used to lash down a mounting base for the foot pedal. But, if you have never looked at a foot pedal setup, they are larger and heavier than you might think. Still, if you are going with a motor and heavy battery in the back, a few more pounds in the front ain't gonna matter much.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I would like to see some manufacturer come up with a set of remote operating controls that could be hand operated from the front, while the motor was attached to the toon in the back. Reaching back to operate the trolling motor behind you can be a pain in the back.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Tubedude you hit the head on the nail. Why doesn't someone come up with a aftermarket conversion control kit? I'm with you on "hands free fishing" and i could see how having to twist your back around to operate the trolling motor tiller arm from behind would take it's toll on my back! ouch!
I still have a lot of research to do on this project. but for the time being my little 30HT motorguide will have to do for now...stay tooned. And thanks for the input.
[signature]
Update
Well i found this while doing a search yesterday. I'm still waiting for ananswer from the company if it works with all brands of trolling motors. If this works it will save me from buying an expensive bow mount trolling motor and such. Just click on the link below.
[url "http://www.outdoorengineering.com/options.htm#Motor%20Control%20Sytem"]http://www.outdoorengineering.com/options.htm#Motor%20Control%20Sytem[/url]
[signature]
you could modify the mount that I made to mount my trolling motor in front of me to work for your foot control, here is the link to my post
http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gfo...ead#unread
just follow that and you can look at the mount,
jed
[signature]