Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fall pike fishing
I have vacation the last week of September. I have fished 11 mile and Spinney some this year and not had much luck, so I was going to try new waters. I would like to try Stagecoach or Sanchez, but I don't know if these lakes fish well in late Sept. Also I have a boat, and my vacation is flexible so I could move it a week or two earlier or later. What do you guys recommend? Thanks in advance.
[signature]
Hello Abomb,
I just moved to Colorado about a month ago and really don't know any spots but I am planning on doing some serious Pike fishing now that I am here. I haven't fished for them since I was a kid and can't wait. Well that being said, I hate to answer a question with a question but where is the closest place to Colorado Springs to fish Pike and what do you reccomend using?

Sorry I coudn't be any help but I will keep you updated with reports when I do get on the fish.

Good Luck and enjoy your vaction.
[signature]
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

TheAngler BFT Moderator
Mike-

Your closest pike spots are Eleven Mile and Spinney Res. just west of the Springs 35 miles or so. Both have some big fish. My favorite pike lake, though, is Sanchez Reservoir, down near the town of San Luis, but I haven't fished it for several years. I have heard the water level is way, way down at Sanchez. It has pike topping 25 lbs., walleyes, and some big perch. Sanchez would be around 165 miles or so from the Springs.
[signature]
Hello Guys,
Thank you for the info. I was on the 11 miles website and they are having a Pike Tournament on the 11th. Anyone up to fishing it with me?
[signature]

TheAngler BFT Moderator
I made it out to Eleven mile today and fished coyote cove. Fishing was pretty slow I didn't see a person catch a fish but they were definetly out there. I saw some pretty nice fish break water.

Anyone know any decent baits for Eleven Mile. I tried spinners, poppers (after they started breaking water), leaches, nightcrawlers.

There is still some spots left for the Tournament on the 11th. Is anyone intrested in giving it a shot? I think I am going to.
[signature]

TheAngler BFT Moderator
Angler, I have given up on entering the tournaments until I get better at pike fishing. To be honest the only pike I seem to catch there is by accident when trolling for trout, and they are always small. Somebody on this board said it best that nothing comes easy @ 11 mile. But don't let me discourage you, as this is supposed to be a good time of year there, there are huge pike in there, and I know many do have success. Good luck and let us know how you do if you enter.
[signature]
[size 2]Hello AB,
I hear you, I had a pretty tough go my first time out but am going to give it another go tomorrow.

I am going to try and register for the tournament tomorrow also unless its full. I figure I might get lucky and either way it should be a good time and a chance to promote these boards a bit.

I was thinking about trying some swim baits? With all the trout in the reservoir you would think the swim baits would work? What do you think? I also hit the Utah board and got a bunch of bait advise there that I am going to try tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes.

Lastly, tell me what you think of this. I fished Coyote Ridge last time and there was most definitely fish there (they were breaking water) but they were not biting on anything. My thought was because Coyote Ridge is so close to the entrance that it is fished so heavily the fish are a bit more line shy. Tomorrow I am going to the opposite side of the lake and try Howbert Point?

I'll let you know how it goes.[/size]
[signature]

TheAngler BFT Moderator
Angler, have you seen 11milesports.com they have a nice site keep it updated and I think right now it says from howbert point to goose island, and from stoll point to cross creek are producing pike. I would think swimbaits would work well. I have heard from numerous sources that larger white tube jigs work well. I went to the weigh in at a tournament back in the spring and talked to a guy who caught a nice pike on his fly rod and a big bunny fly, this seems to be a popular way to catch them as well. I think some day I will hire a guide to help me learn this lake. I know there is Larry who owns 11-mile sports and seems very knowlegble, but I hesitate to give him my business as he has been rude to my wife and I many times. Let me know if you hear of any other good guides.
[signature]