Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Penns Jig Master #500
I just had to past this on to our younger members. 30 years ago my grandpa told me to buy a good brand of fishing reels and as we fished salt water only he took me to a local shop. I bought two Penn reels for about what I made a week. Tonight I took them out of the shed after putting them away for the past 8 years , put some new line on and oiled the four oil ports on this reel.Works like it did 30 years ago. Some times alittle maintanace and a few more bucks spent can mean a life time of use. Thanks gramps for your wisdom. Hope he's with me saturday and brings the blues in.
[signature]
I have six Penn 500's, it is the best all purpose reel made for under 75 bucks.
Every reel manufacture as coped or improved that reel in some form or other. I paid $17 for my first one in 1973 and I got it at a Hardware store in San Monica, Calif
[signature]
Another kick ass, old style reel is the old green mitchel spinning reels. I'm not much for spinning tackle, but those reels are tough. I have two that are older than I am, and I wouldn't hesitate to tackle a fifty pound fish with them. They are definately diamonds in the rough. They have the same balls to the wall quality as the gold series Penn spinning reels than run upwards in the hundreds. The craftmanship and sheer strength of those old reels is what reel companies even today should strive for. Not that technology hasn't brought us a long way and the reels availible today aren't strong, but they'll never match the bruteness of the old school reels of the past.
[signature]