Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What a 24 hours
[cool][#0000ff]"The infamous TubeDude"? Whazzup widdat? Everywhere I go and whenever I am introduced, it is always "the infamous one".[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Left my place Friday afternoon to spend the night with BLM and then to make an early visit to Bear Lake on Saturday morning. Stopped at Hooked Tackle in Kaysville, on the way up the road. Got to meet James and the staff (HookedChica, etc.). Very impressed with the complete selection of REAL fishing stuff, and the knowledgeable and helpful crew.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I did my part to add to the bottom line for the day's receipts, but that was the first place on the trip I was introduced to store patrons as "infamous". I didn't cry, but it started me to working on a complex.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Made it up to BLM's place in time for a pleasant evening of conversation and pizza in the backyard. Lovely evening. Also got to meet RipNLips wife, from across the street. He had gone grouse hunting.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Up at O-dark-thirty Saturday and stopped at the local convenience store for munchables. Met CrestLiner and a couple of other local BFTers. Again...I was the "infamous" one. Checked my breath and underarms. No worse than usual.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Hit Bear Lake Marina as the sky was getting light in the east. Light breeze and the promise of a nice day. The promise was a lie. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]First, the main motor would not even cough. After several minutes of fruitless tinkering, and inventing some new words, BLM lowered the smaller kicker and we slithered out of the marina under reduced power. Moved out to 70 feet of water and anchored up where we found a few blips, as we watched the other boats roar off to the rockpile, or other more distant destinations.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]As we began jigging, it was observed by BLM that there was no net in the net holder. It was still hanging on the rack in his garage. We opted to keep fishing and to not go back for it. However, we decided that it would not be a good idea to catch any big fish, since we had no net. Good planning. It worked.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Every few minutes, BLM would cease his mumblings and reflections about the incompetence of his boatman long enough to try jiggling some more wires, while I tweaked the ignition switch. To the sound of tinkling bells and angel voices, the main engine finally coughed, sputtered and came to life. We had power.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]A short run to the rock pile and a brief tutorial by BLM on the distance from shore, the size and the shape of this famous underwater structure, and I was convinced that it would be worth hitting from the float tubes in October. Piece of pie. We have made much longer tubin' trips than that, as long as the "infamous" W... does not come up.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Most of the boats were congregated in an area out in deeper water. One boat reported taking a "couple of dinks". One of BLM's neighbors, who I had met the evening before, had a "belly up" mack a bit over an estimated 10 pounds. Other boats and the occasional troller didn't seem to be bothered much by intrusive fish.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]We motored around, looking for likely marks on the sonar. We drifted for awhile in the glassy calm water, hoping to luck into some willing customers. As the breeze came up a bit, it was necessary to anchor, to keep from drifting too fast and not maintaining the touch necessary in this kind of fishing.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]As a steady procession of boats recognized the "Boomerang", and came in for an exchange of info, I was repeatedly acknowledged as the "infamous" one. I had a full-blown complexion going by now.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]During a lull in attention, some silly fish smacked the heck out of my jig and I missed the connection. A re-drop into the zone did not produce a followup hit. I had a couple of other tentative inquiries, and that was it.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]BLM hooked a small cutt, which spit the hook twice and reengaged twice on the way to the top. It finally came loose, right at the surface, so we did not need the net anyway. Good. Only problem was that the poor tyke could not get up enough strength to go back down and bellied up on the surface. Since it was not a native, I agreed to salvage it for the table.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Since the fishing was not scintillating, and there were things that called me back to Salt Lake, we made an early day of it and were off the water around noon. I drove back into my driveway almost exactly 24 hours after departing on my epic journey.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Thanks, BLM for a great trip. Great company, great boat, great weather and great fishing...even if the catching wasn't so good. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Oh yeah, I also got a great intro to a few more BFTers...as the "infamous" TubeDude. But, that's okay. I always tell people not to say anything good about me. It's too hard to live up to a good reputation. I figure I've got it made here in Utah. No unrealistic expectations.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]The #$%*^$ boat is headed for Lee's today. I've been chasing my tail with this problem for 6 months now and its getting real old. Every time it seems like we find the problem only for it to return at the most inopportune times. There can't be that much more to replace.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Yup, the trip was a fun time. When we pulled into the Maverick at 5:00am, the parking lot looked like a boater's convention. Crestliner and Blake were loading up on fishing food just as we were. We also made the run to Betos for breakfast burritios which BTW, kick butt. They stay with you a long time. Doused with their red salsa, they are good eats.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][/size][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]The "imfamous one" got a taste of Bear Lake fishing though it was a not a trip to brag about. Lots of lookers but no takers. I also got to watch the dude go through his arsenal of lures. He's got a lot of bullets! HA! Hopefully the next trip will produce some decent fish.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][/size][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3](EDIT) Just another thought. Don't try the float tube kick out to the rock pile alone. 99% percent of all wind and storms come from the southwest and if the wind kicks up, and it can in nothin' flat, it blows straight out into the lake. This, along with some wave action, could make for a pretty tough return kick back to shore.[/size][/font]
[signature]
My old grand-daddy always told me " a boat is just a hole in the water that you throw money into".
At times I know just how right he was!!
[signature]
Glad you had a good day of fishing, sorry you didn't do any catching.

I have never hit Bear Lake but would really like to. I hear in the Fall things pick up and the fishing for the MACKS is top notch. Guess I shall plan a trip with the toon up there for this October.

Great report *cough* Infamous one *cough*. Wink
[signature]
How many cigars did Rich chew up trying to get the motor to kick in?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Har Har! BLM has too much respect for his smoky ropes to waste them on frustrating things like boat repair. To his credit, he waited a proper amount of time before "firing up". He was gnashing his teeth, though, and I was smart enough to keep any of my gear far enough away that it did not get chewed on.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]BearLakeFishGuy stopped by, with his daughter (it was her birthday). It was either him or Fish1on that let the cat out of the bag. Supposedly, the cigars are to remain unlit until the first fish comes aboard. On Saturday, the cigar to fish ratio got seriously out of whack. You got some catchin' up to do, BLM.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Having had two trips to Bear Lake with major boat problems, and another one with minor problems, I can feel your pain. In addition to messing up the fishing, it is not a good feeling to be on that large body of water with ones only source of power being the trolling outboard.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]I don't know if pain is the right word but it's defintely frustrating as well as expensive! I'm sure anyone with a boat can atest to that. They are a giant hole to poor money into but hey, you can't take it with you right? My kicker is a 15hp so it can do pretty good until it gets nasty. Top speed is 9 miles on the Boomerang so you won't get there fast![/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
TD,

I did not even realize that was you on the boat with BLM! I apologize for not relaying a hello to you. I was with my wifes folks for a putt around the pond and did not want to get too close and be rude to either of you.

BLM,

Sorry about your boat troubles, still better than fishing from shore!!!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]No offense taken, Bro. I heard your hail to BLM, but couldn't get a word in edgewise once he started yammerin'. Anyway, my hearing was still somewhat impaired from the most recent tirade during the motor troubles.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]My observation was that you were more than courteous in your approach and the distance you stayed from our boat. I also observed that there does not seem to be a lot of concern amongst the regulars about boat noise or proximity. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]In watching the sonar, I perceived that the noise of a setup (anchoring) usually moves the fish away for a few minutes, but that it doesn't take them long to cruise back into the zone. I also think I observed that a quietly idling boat motor did not seem to bother the fish much. I am sure there are days when there are exceptions both ways.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Oh yeah, I was busy too. I had fooled myself into believing that if I concentrated hard enough on the jig I was working below the boat that maybe I could dazzle you with a hookup. Silly me.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Hope you guys had a nice tour of the lake. The weather was nice for a boat ride, but not much else.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I am proposing that we (BFT'ers) select a new intro for TubeDude, since "infamous" is not really the correct useage of the Queen's english! I just finished searching my thesaurus and and I found a lot of synonyms for "famous". I'm giving you the selection below and hopefully we will be able to agree upon on one (agree?? ya, right!) Here is goes: "celebrated", "distinguished", "honorable", "illustrious", and "renowned". There you go guys, lets hear your opinion so we can all help bring TubeDudes self image back up to par! Cheers!
[signature]
well I would say T.D. you are already fitting in very well, getting a new nick name and only movining back a few weeks ago. "The infamous one" kind of works, Queens english or not.
Hopefully you take no offence to it,as for us we were all excited to put a face with the paragraphs we all have recieved.

Blm. I would suspect that float tubing off of cisco beach would probably be an effective place to try for macks, Would you agree?
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Kicking off Cisco would be the least expenditure of energy. You could be in 100 plus feet of water in less that 100 yards and put yourself in good mack water. If you don't have much weather, it's a great place. The east side has a tendency to be a little rougher than the west side at times but if you hit it right you could do real good. [/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
Infamous is his christian name. That sona..... is what everyone else calls him. TD has never been mentioned in the same sentence as a Queen before. I never know knew about Pat's english relations either.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]That is something TubeBabe and I had already discussed. Probably have less motorized companionship during the spawn than on the rockpile. And, with the "hands free" aspect of fin power, along with sonar, it should be easy enough to stay on top of fish, once you find them.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Some masochistic twist still makes me want to go for it on the fabled pile of stones though. Gotta watch the weather forecrash and just go for it someday.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I agree that it would be wise to have a relief boat in the area...just in case. All I ask is that if you need to give me a "lifeline" that you don't run me through a slalom course of the other boats at full speed. I already gots gray hair.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thanks TD,

I do not think I will ever call you anything but Pat, it is a great name!!! LOL Read my profile and all will understand this. There are very few Great Pat's in the world and you have proven to be one of them! Thank you for your support to this site and to all us mere mortals learning the sport!

O.K. enough mushy stuff!! When you want to kick Bear Lake let me know and I will have your back with my new leaky aluminum row boat!! (I also have enough cisco for you and the misses to get through the winter!! One catch!! No bait unless you let me tag along!!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Hey Bro, I think we had that discussion on names before, at Petty's jig party. Right? We should have it "down Pat" by now. (groan)[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]We might do some "creative bargaining" for some of your surplus cisco. Of course, we gotta be careful to avoid any implication of "selling" a protected species. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Looks like it might be toward the end of October before our social and fishing calendars get back in alignment and will allow us to hit Bear Lake again. We are kinda thinking about tubing either the rock pile or Cisco Beach. We would welcome having you around, not only for companionship, but as an extra fishing prospector and as a towboat if the dreaded "W" decides to teach us a lesson.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Good luck in your proclaimed quest for an elusive "10". Not many of the other kind on the beaches now, as the weather gets colder, so you might as well look for one in the water. As we have all seen, fish can be fickle. Some guys score big on their first trips, while others have to pay their dues for a long time before getting a "big mack". BLM introduced me to a young neighbor of his that scored one over 20 pounds to win a recent derby on the lake.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The only "fatherly" advice I can offer is to put a lure in front of the fish as often as you can...using the best tackle and techniques you can bring...and it WILL happen. Macks are not as bad as muskies, thankfully. They are not known as "the fish of a 1000 casts." But, the big ones usually require a combination of experience, skill and luck. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Just remember: the harder you work, the luckier you get (sometimes).[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Cisco will never be sold by me!!! I hope I did not come off that way. My bait is for me, my family, and my guest's to use for the Mack's. I offer to share with you while fishing with me in exchange for company and maybe a little hint or two on techniques.

This is a blatent attempt to gain knowledge!! Your proven skills with the "jigging world" are tremendously valuable!!!!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]CHILL...and peace unto you fellow namesake person. I would not think to suggest you were proposing anything illegal, immoral or unethical. I know you are an honorable person. Heck, a guy with the same name couldn't be anything else. Right?[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I recognize a straightforward bribe when I see one. Just needling you a little. So stay cool and keep some cool cisco meat for our next get-together. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]As for me "downloading" any great and wonderful techniques that will help you in your quest for the BIG TEN, I have to plead humility on that one. I need to learn a lot more about Bear Lake myself. I know how to jig a jig, but that ain't all you need to know to score well and score consistently on any given water. You gots to pay your dues and put in your time. I got a lot of hours to put in before I can make any claim about being an "ex-spurt".[/#0000ff]
[signature]